Professor Paddle: San Juan sea kayak adventure vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Chit Chat
 Professor Paddle : General : Chit Chat
Message Icon Topic: San Juan sea kayak adventure Post Reply Post New Topic
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dave Replybullet Topic: San Juan sea kayak adventure
    Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 4:36pm
Going this weekend for sat and sun if anyone is interested. Should be sunny and I have room for one person and boat in my car. 25 miles per day and one night. Around 5-10 people going.
Nomad
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
KBfree
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote KBfree Replybullet Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 5:25pm
Sounds like fun...  but isn't it a little early in the season for the SJ's?
I will wait for some sunshine before heading out there. 
Have fun... 
Kirk B
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 10:44pm
Supposed to be sunny and warm Kirk. Jim and his wife are leading, we have a few people going like 5-10, and were having a salmon feast when we get there! But, it will be a marathon weekend of paddling, 50 miles, plus a full moon with ripping tides!
Nomad
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 11:19pm
Yeah? You gonna do some full moon stroke'n?

Nah, Kirk: it ain't too early. Matter of fact, last april I did a little Salty over nighter in the South Puget Sound. Then in mid May paddled from Seattle up to the San Juans (solo) and met Mr. Rogers. We circumnavigated the San Juans in about 3.5 days. Whole trip took me about 8 days. Yes, this time of year there is weather. But that's cool too. Just gotta be prepared for it. Conditions were rockin a few days, and my sh*t did get all wet a few times. Yes I had some cold wet camping (three out of eight camps), but that's why I did that trip during that time: to experience those hardships and discover where the holes in my game were. Some of it was gear related, some of it procedural/poor choices, but I'm better armed w/ the knowledge for next time.

Whitewater is cool, but it gets boring after a while. Old hat. Gotta work some Salt Yakk'n into my paddlin diet once in awhile.

As it turns out, I think Ima get my Saltyak on too, this weekend.
Have fun up there, Dave! Where exactly you guys going, if you care to divulge (don't worry- I won't crash your camp, but don't think I ain't capable of it!)

I'm gonna just stick to the South Puget Sound, myself, so I don't have to burn a bunch of gas. Yeah, the San Juans are super Mac Daddy, but South Puget Sound is close. I just want quick access to the water and a solo trip where I can camp and put a suitable distance between myself and the rest of humanity. Maybe that's not what Easter is about for most folks, but its coincidental for me: I'm looking at flows and the weather.

Thank You Easter Bunny Bok Bok!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 11:36am
We will be on Jones Island. Plus this time of year you have the islands all to yourself. The old men and thier motoboats arnt polluting up the place yet!
Nomad
KBfree
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote KBfree Replybullet Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 4:55pm
It looks like the weather might be good this weeken. 
JP..  that is a great trip.  Would love to island hop my way to the San Juans from Seattle.  That would be a satisfying trip. 3.5 days in the SJ's is a fast pace.

There would be something pieceful about heading up this time of year.  I remember a power boater last year that didn't see me and came really close as we crossed from Jones to San Juan Is.  But the weather was great for most of it. 

Jones is one of my favorites.  I also heard there is a wildflower island ot by the Wasp Islands that would be fun to stop at. 

Just can't make it this weekend.  I would be up for a trip soon though.  Will be finishing my Pygmy soon so I will have a 2nd boat.
Have fun...  
Kirk B
Courtney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Whitewater,sea kayaking, snowboarding, backpacking.

Quote Courtney Replybullet Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 7:05pm
If anyone would like to do a 2 day to Jones Island with hot showers and cold beer on the second night get in touch.  I will wheel onto the ferry for the ride back due to lack of vacation time, but the accomadiotions just across from Jones are superb!  Date is not determined yet, has to be a small group.
Jimmy
flowtorch
Paddler
Paddler

Quote flowtorch Replybullet Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 8:54pm
Nother ww boater here that enjoys occasional salt in his diet, as that wordsmith jp says. Got a 17' WS tempest that I'd love to do more San Juan trips with, Day or overnighters. Keep the thread goin. LOVE to see more of this place, being that it's minutes from me now.
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 9:11pm
SOunds good Jimmy/Courtney...never know which one your talking too...anyway, I use wheels on the ferry all the time and its a great way to get a free ride back when in your in the depths of the Islands!
Nomad
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 5:25pm
We paddled 54 miles in two days! I'm a cripple now.
Nomad
scottrichardson
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote scottrichardson Replybullet Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 3:55pm
Yo Dave (and others),

I have a cabin on Orcas if anybody wants an off the water crash spot/base for day trips type thing.

Lemme know,
Scott
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by flowtorch

Nother ww boater here that enjoys occasional salt in his diet, as that wordsmith jp says. Got a 17' WS tempest that I'd love to do more San Juan trips with,

Right on! That's what I paddle! It is truly a sweet sea worthy design, and I guess it was designed for the Pacific Northwest Coast.

It's great to sea more Salt yakkers coming out of the closet on this here Whitewater forum.

I'll throw it out there: Mr. Rogers and I will probably be going out to Cape Flattery again next fall. Bring your whitewater game and your helmet. Its a great place to get comfy with surf, sea arches, ect. Flirt with a little danger in a controlled way at a chill time of year. Not to mention just awesome, sacred paddling territory that is largely untapped.

Had my first combat roll in a sea kayak out there (it was scary for a few minutes before and after- thought I was going to get cheese grated). Tried to go through an arch at the wrong time and got backsurfed onto some rocks (but didn't end up hitting them-barely enough depth).

On my way back out while we were surfing an awesome point break with really long, tall surfs, I got backendered in the '17 boat. Got the creme of the crop while all the surfers were on Hobuck. Our point break waves were bigger and longer rides that we had all to ourselves. Surfers can't get out there. Two different spots.

Snapped a paddle shaft while doing a routine surf landing onto the sand down by Point Of Arches. Oh well. I found it on Lake Washington and it served me for many a nautical mile.

Got chased by some Sea Lions while we were circum nav'n Tattoosh Island- tried to give them lots of space but they were'nt having it.

A great weekend of adventures. Definitely need to go back at least once a year.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 10:13pm
Totally cool Scott. I need to get in touch with you.

Nomad
used2climb
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

climbing, boating, failing at both

Quote used2climb Replybullet Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 9:04am

Hey, this is Erik Gearhart--I've been talking about doing some salt trips with Scott and Courtney for a while!  Maybe we can pull if off this year.  I'm always psyched to meet other people with whitewater skills who like touring, too--because they don't spook as much in rock gardens, swells, and surf. :-)

I love getting out on the Olympic Coast, Cape Flattery, and San Juans in my Necky Chatham.  Did some great solo trips last year outta La Push to Third Beach/Strawberry Point/Oil City and back last summer--hope to get out again this year.  (JP, I hear you on the sea lions.  The marine life on the Olympic Coast sees far less kayakers than most places in the Sound, so they really get agitated even when you are 100s of yards away.)  I solo the NaPali Coast in Kauai every year, too, if anyone ever wants to join in on that.  That is some quality camping and sea cave paddling, if you can stand lots of naked hippies on the beaches.

I do some San Juans trips with my school and short ones with friends, too, every year.

My preferred style for personal trips: lower mileage days and longer cave/rock/arch play sessions  (I get the whole summer off--so why hump it?  I'm not out there to suffer--I'm out there to paddle to beautiful places, camp on awesome beaches that hikers can't get to, play in rock gardens, surf, and bomb sea caves and arches.  So, I'm not the partner for squeezed 25 miler days on extended weekends--I'm your guy for four/five/six/seven day trips.  Glad this thread is running strong. 
ThrowYaMittsUp
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote ThrowYaMittsUp Replybullet Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 11:10am

My dad just finished this boat and gave it to me!!!!!

I have a bit of outfitting to do, but I can't wait to do some camping out of her. Probably won't be doing much rock gardening, but a boat is meant to be used right? This thing is a work of art, but there is no way in hell it's gonna hang on a wall...

Keep me posted about trips, especially any leaving from Bellingham. I would also be interested in any tips or advice from people with wooden boats...

Edited by ThrowYaMittsUp - 12 Apr 2012 at 11:14am
"Call on God, but row away from the rocks." ~H.S. Thompson
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 11:24am
Dood that boat is amazing looking ... props to your pops!
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 7:36pm
Ya, I'm not to thrilled to do 25-35 miles a day either. I just seemed to get roped into long tripsthese
Nomad
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 7:39pm
Ya, I'm not to thrilled to do 25-35 miles a day either. I just seemed to get roped into long trips these past few years. The San Juans are full of cliff paddling and rock gardens. I would love to get some trips going soon, in-Between the spring run-off of course.
Nomad
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by used2climb

That is some quality camping and sea cave paddling, if you can stand lots of naked hippies on the beaches.

Well, you can find them running across logs at the PP Ball

Originally posted by used2climb

Glad this thread is running strong.

Me too. There's plenty of room on this site to support at least one on going thread related to sea kayaking. I'd like to see more whitewater PPeeps gettin salty! Its a nice change of pace once in a while.

I like all sorts of variety. That 8 day trip from Seattle up and around the San Juans was packed full of 25 nm days by necessity. By contrast, weekends like the Cape Flattery trip were focused on surf and rock play, 6 -12 nm a day.

Easter weekend I paddled 9nm just to get to an island and camp. Have some solitude. That trip wasn't really about the paddling so much at all. The kayak was just a casual vehicle to make it happen.

I guess it depends on the chemistry of the group.
But I tend to like smaller groups or solo stuff. Especially if I have a fixed agenda. Once I know I'm going to be part of a big group, I like to scale back my goals and expectations, because bigger groups almost always involve a variety of mixed skill levels and mixed levels of motivation. That's cool- but structure, comunication, a gameplan, and similar details become more important.

Last Labor Day was when we went out to the Cape. Its a key weekend: lots of PPeeps these days go east to the N. Frk Payette. I'd like to go back over there again, but I think Cape Flattery has more of a magnetic pull for me.

I'd really like to get up into the inside passage. I've only been up to Barkley Sound. Its pretty rad up there, too, but damn I'd love to explore more of BC's nooks and crannies. That goes for creeks up there too I guess.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 10:54pm
BTW Brian- that wooden boat looks like a real beauty! You can totally paddle over to the San Juans from Bham. Get a submersible VHF, and then we could plan to meet up on Orcas sometime. You could paddle from Bham, and I could paddle up from Anacortes. Designate an Island or campsite to meeet at, and use the radio for backup. It works pretty sweet.

On my 8 day trip, Mr. Rogers said the Puget Sound leg was going to be too boring ( whatever- that fu*ker didn't know what he missed out on, but maybe the solo aspect was part of the appeal anyway). Anyway, he launched from Washington Park (Anacortes). Originally he wanted me to meet him there while he packed his boat. I told that salty bastard (takes one to know one) that he was joining my trip, and that I intended to be up in the islands a day early soaking in a hot tub w/ some naked ladies, bragging and boasting about my exploits (however wildly embellished). "Yeah, I just paddled up here from Seattle. Mostly I paddle whitewater", ect. You know the drill. So the next day I paddled out toward Point Lawrence to meet him as he slogged his way up the Rossario Strait (this time the current and wind were a little against him- usually we rip right up there on the max flood). So we'd agreed on a VHF frequency beforehand. I got out near N. Peapod Island and hailed him.
"Mr. Rogers Mr. Rogers- do you read me, over?"
After repeating this a few times,
"I got ya, Hairy!"

Having radios makes getting seperated kind of fun. Especially since this was how we chose to start this leg of the trip together. Not to mention its a good way to cultivate another key skill. Sure enough, using the binocculars (another key piece of gear, requiring the skill of looking through it while you are bobbing up and down), I could barely make out a yellow speck (another Tempest 170) out by Toehead I. Yup. Me and Mr. Rogers go way back. I gotta say It was good to have his brain to balance mine out and vice versa in the days that followed, once it got stormy on us. That was in mid May.

Good times. I still got plenty of San Juans trips left in me, because every one has been unique. June through Sept. Is pretty stable weather up there, generally, though sometimes you'll still get morning fog which can persist surprisingly late into the day.

Yup. Lots of room for variety.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
scottrichardson
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote scottrichardson Replybullet Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 10:23pm
yo eric,

glad you chimed in...almost forgot we've tried to make the flattery trip happen again. totally down with getting back out there soon. a friend mentioned maybe heading out for surf over memorial day, i said maybe based on the wenatchee status. if we do wind up doing that instead of over the mountain i'll let you know.

definitely the day trips with a home base/camp vibe.

scott
briandunnington
Paddler
Paddler

Quote briandunnington Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 3:07pm
This weekend was some of the best weather of the year so far, so a buddy and I got a little salt in our diet as well. We launched from Washington Park, did a leisurely paddle over to Strawberry Island for a lunch stop, then headed over to James Island to camp for the night. Did some light hiking around the island (that we had nearly entirely to ourselves - there was one big boat moored at the public dock, but they didnt come ashore to camp) and had a nice nap on a mossy overlook in the warm sun. The next morning, we paddled around the island a bit more and then slowly headed back across the Rosario Strait, complete with seal, whale, eagle, etc sightings. Very laid back pace on a rather short paddle, but one of the best weekends I have had in a long time.
flowtorch
Paddler
Paddler

Quote flowtorch Replybullet Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 6:53pm
So I just got back from a little evening sea kayak session.

Paddling my 17'er...I had a 20'ish foot gray whale swim directly underneath me...like right beneath me. The surge of water when she snuck up on me scared me more than any classV rapid ever will.

Still shaking..
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version