Professor Paddle: Finally going to get one...and need some help vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Finally going to get one...and need some help Post Reply Post New Topic
joshcrossman
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote joshcrossman Replybullet Topic: Finally going to get one...and need some help
    Posted: 12 Jul 2009 at 10:20am
I am finally going to break down and get a creek boat-- I have narrowed my search to the burn (paddled one of the sky yesterday, liked it, although a little edgier than i expected, probably due to me need to outfit a little tighter for me), the rocker (brett was singing its praises, but how maneuverable is it?), and the jefe. 

It's one of those things that will depend on how it fits me and my paddling style... so... anyone have a rocker (the newer one) or a jefe that I could borrow?  I'm trying to avoid the cost renting multiple demos-- thinking laps on boulder drop to get a feel for it.  

open to other thoughts as well...
i like it when it rains
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2009 at 12:05pm
All three are pretty solid boats from all that I've heard - but I'm sure that there are many folks who are quite a bit more qualified than I am who will chime in with an informed opinion.

If you feel like expanding the list a bit at any point, I've got a Mystic and/or a SCUD that you can borrow and take for a spin.
-Jay
WA-Boater
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote WA-Boater Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2009 at 12:13pm
I've got a Nomad 8.5 you could try as well.
joshcrossman
McNasty
McNasty

Quote joshcrossman Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2009 at 12:48pm
thanks-- I think the nomad 8.5 would be a big big for me (5'7", 150) so the 8.1 would probably fit.   how responsive (catching small eddies) is the nomad for you?  

thanks jay for the offer-- depending on how things go with these three i may take you up on it!
i like it when it rains
dragorossinw
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote dragorossinw Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2009 at 1:01pm
I will be up at the Sky race August 1, feel froo to try the DragoRossi's, they'll be there if you want.
Tony Z
dragorossinorthwest@yahoo.com
www.nookiekayaking.us
www.dragorossi.com
www.donkeyfIip.com
WA-Boater
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote WA-Boater Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2009 at 3:52pm
I find it very responsive. It tracks great and has good hull speed. Even though the boat looks big, it paddles much smaller. It's definately not a plug.
 I'm 5'8" 160lbs and have paddled both the 8.1 and 8.5. I found that I liked the 8.5 better, contrary to what most folks recommended. I started creeking in a 10' boat, so I was accustomed to a longer boat anyways and prefer longer boats. If you like smaller boats you might try the 8.1 or even maybe a CFS (you can find um on Craigslist for a couple hundred bucks). I've been paddling the 8.5 for 6 years now and dont think or havn't paddled a better creeker yet. When I first paddled it I weighed more like 150, so your weight shouldn't be a problem. It would just be a preferencial thing. Guys your/our size 10 years ago would say the 8.5 was too small for creeking and was meant for playboating.

D
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2009 at 7:45pm
I would say try everything you can, maybe the best place around at this time is doing boulder laps in boats side by side, testing boofs on neds, eddy turns on the plane etc....

Good Luck on the hunt, and I have a jefe if you wanna give it a try.
joshcrossman
McNasty
McNasty

Quote joshcrossman Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2009 at 10:03pm
Thanks James -- I would like to try the Jefe.   I'll PM you

i like it when it rains
joshcrossman
McNasty
McNasty

Quote joshcrossman Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2009 at 10:04pm
Thanks-- it's a great point.   I may end up trying out the 8.5 soon.
i like it when it rains
Kiwi
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Kiwi Replybullet Posted: 13 Jul 2009 at 12:09am
I really like my mega rocker, it has no edges that can catch and it flys through things mostly upright, and I've only swam out of 1 hole in it, but that was because I droppped my paddle.
try the Rocker, you won't be disapointed.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by James

I would say try everything you can, maybe the best place around at this time is doing boulder laps in boats side by side, testing boofs on neds, eddy turns on the plane etc....

Good Luck on the hunt, and I have a jefe if you wanna give it a try.

James has a very good point. Boulder Drop is a great place to test out creekboats for boaters of a variety of skill levels. It's a solid class IV rapid, it is roadside, easy to hike & lap, and you can link up several moves in there that simulate a class V environment if your imagination is keen to spot them. (In other words, don't enter on the right like every Tom Dick and Harriet does, and don't take the Airplane Turn.)

My recommendations would be the Burn and the Nomad. The Rocker and Jefe are way to soft and lacking of definition (IMO). You want some chines on a creekboat, no matter how hard or soft (how hard or soft is a matter of preference). I find my Salto to be a perfect happy medium for me. And it fits my size and weight well.

Stay away from the Scud (IMO)- it's not a real creekboat, and when you do get trashed in it, you'll get trashed BIG!

Tony-- At the PP Ball, I really wanted to try the Draggorossi creekers- I like their aggressive lines-- but there was no way to outfit it to fit me properly, so I didn't see the point. If I can't wear the boat like I'd want to, I can't put it to the test.
     -Any chance you could bring some outfitting to put in those boats next time you demo them? 'Cause I know what I'm looking at when I see a boat's design, and I could see myself in one of Mr. Addison's boats.

Edited by jP - 14 Jul 2009 at 1:49pm
H2Ohta
McNasty
McNasty

Quote H2Ohta Replybullet Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 1:58pm
Josh,
In my limited experience paddling with you, I think a Burn would probably benefit your paddling style a little better at least to start.  You are already paddling a Pyranha boat so the feel will be pretty much the same as far as outfitting and plastic.  I think you will find that the initially stability of Burn and the eddy turns and peel outs will feel more similar to your playboat in that you can engage the edges and carve.  This does not mean that you should not try paddling a displacement hull (Jefe) but I think you would benefit from keeping the variables to a minimum in the begining so you can focus on the rapid in front of you, and I am speaking generally not just about you.  Just my 2 cents
Ohta
H2Ohta
kurle
McNasty
McNasty

Quote kurle Replybullet Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 5:29pm
the dragorossi madboy has a planing hull as well.  its a very sweet boat. let me know if you want to check one out.
-Matt

http://www.dragorossi.com/mad_boy.html
jblum
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Don Blumin Looper

Quote jblum Replybullet Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 7:21pm
I echo Ohta's words on the burn being a good crossover from play to creeking.  However, it depends a lot on what kinds of creeking you want to do, and what style you want to develop.

I personally would hate using a burn or everest or any of the Jackson boats because they lack in the rocker dept (kinda ironic since its called the rocker...  maybe they should have named it the Anti-Rocker or the Melt-machine).  My favorite thing to do creeking is boofing the crap out of the biggest boof I can nail.  Those boats just don't boof as well as one with more rocker.  I also prefer softer edges because I like to edge hard into turns, but the Burn is just too spicy for my style of paddling.

Trying lots of different boats will give you a chance to see what works and what will match your paddling style the best.  I'm not sure what your paddling ability is, but if you're up to it, the Cooper would be a great place to get in a few laps and try some different boats.  40 minutes, good rapids, lots of dynamic moves.  My .02.

Edited by jblum - 14 Jul 2009 at 7:23pm
JHB
joshcrossman
McNasty
McNasty

Quote joshcrossman Replybullet Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 11:32pm
Thanks all for the input-- I did laps on BD today with a bunch of boats (thanks James and Dan for the loans) and really did like the burn.   The jefe and the rocker were too soft for my taste, and then to seal the deal, i found a new burn for $799 out the door.   Anyone headed to Boise anytime soon? 

I'll be down on the white salmon tmrw blum, may talk to you a bit there. 

i like it when it rains
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 15 Jul 2009 at 2:49pm
--yeah, my last "cent" would be this:
I think rocker is grossly over rated. ANY modern creekboat is likely to have all the rocker one should need. Just remember that rocker and the ability to turn or boof come at the expense of hull speed, an under appreciated attribute.

That's why the Burn looks good to me, because it has a good compromise of these qualities. The only thing to watch is the flatter hull when landing BIG drops (over 20') as you all know.

Edited by jP - 15 Jul 2009 at 2:49pm
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version