Professor Paddle: Split Rock access vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Split Rock access Post Reply Post New Topic
Steven M
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Steven M Replybullet Topic: Split Rock access
    Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 1:58pm

Just a head's up rafters and kayakers.  I just got a call from Harry Coveney the owner of Split Rock.  He is upset because some bone head was down there cutting up wood and hauling it off.  Also a lot of garbage and trash is collection on his property.  I realize that you may not be responsible for any of this but we do use this access.  So if you do, be polite and pick up some extra trash on your way out.  I would hate to lose this as an access point to the river and while we may not be abusing it we do use it.  So please help to take care of it for all of our sakes.

Steve McCollough

Steve McCollough
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 5:06pm

Well that just sucks, thanks for calling attention to it Steve.  Do you know what the owner's preferences are regarding who uses that place?  I ran into him and his wife a couple of years ago there and they said it was just for kayakers and rafters (i.e., no picnickers) but I do see people wander down there to fish and just hang out too.  If I knew the owners for sure didn't want people doing that I would feel OK saying something, I just feel odd doing it if I don't know that for sure and maybe they're friends of the owners, etc.

I do see kayakers picking up trash and I've done it myself there, but you're right, it does accumulate anyway - thanks for the reminder, it's such a great spot to have access to, it would be a real bummer to lose it!
It's all fun and games until someone loses a paddle.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
iron monkey
Paddler
Paddler

Quote iron monkey Replybullet Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 9:23pm
the guy cutting wood today, told me he was doing work for the owner, clearing and cutting wood.  I'm not completely sure but i think the guy cutting wood works/owns the fire wood for sale place in goldbar?  whoever he was he had more than a pickup load of wood.  he and his crew kept going up the hill to the property on the other side of the hwy from the takeout.  So i assumed he must have known the property owners at least on that side of the hwy.

dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 9:52pm
Be careful what you say to people out there, some of them are so druged up they may be violent towards you.
Nomad
iron monkey
Paddler
Paddler

Quote iron monkey Replybullet Posted: 04 Sep 2010 at 7:18am
Be careful what you say to people out there, some of them are so druged up they may be violent towards you.
What kind of statment is that?  That sounds like some typical Professor Paddle self righteous I paddle in this posse so I'm better than you bullsh*t.

If you think people out there are "druged"  up and present a possible danger to you then use your judgement and keep your mouth shut, which might not be a bad idea for you in general. 

Blanket judgmental statments like that dont help the situation and really dont have much to do with protecting our access to this spot. 

If you want to say stupid sh*t, please do so on the private forum discussion threads. I'm pretty sure there is a category called rant and rave for that.

I have already started a private thread about Split Rock access.  I know of situations where public opinions partially influenced by boaters talking irresponsible BS  on a public forum has been negatively recieved, i.e. Section 00 of the Chattooga and Boatertalk.

Along the same thread discussing "poaching" rapids off limits like Ohiopyle Falls doesnt help present boaters in a positive light.
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 04 Sep 2010 at 8:54am
Whoo there pilgrim..I just dont want to see Irene get hurt by approching someone who may have issues. I have ran into more than a few methed up fishermen out on the Sky drainage and sometimes it is just a good idea to leave them alone.
By no means was I saying that all people out there are druged up, I have many good friends that live in that area, and they will tell you the same thing, be careful who you confront while on the river, especially when they have beer cans, fishing poles and baggies surrounding them.
Nomad
SupaSta
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote SupaSta Replybullet Posted: 04 Sep 2010 at 10:25am
Originally posted by iron monkey

What kind of statment is that?  That sounds like some typical Professor Paddle self righteous I paddle in this posse so I'm better than you bullsh*t.

If you think people out there are "druged"  up and present a possible danger to you then use your judgement and keep your mouth shut, which might not be a bad idea for you in general. 

Blanket judgmental statments like that dont help the situation and really dont have much to do with protecting our access to this spot. 

If you want to say stupid sh*t, please do so on the private forum discussion threads. I'm pretty sure there is a category called rant and rave for that.

I have already started a private thread about Split Rock access.  I know of situations where public opinions partially influenced by boaters talking irresponsible BS  on a public forum has been negatively recieved, i.e. Section 00 of the Chattooga and Boatertalk.

Along the same thread discussing "poaching" rapids off limits like Ohiopyle Falls doesnt help present boaters in a positive light.
Well if that doesn't prove Dave's point about people over-reacting to a simple suggestion, I don't know what does. 

Dan
Life is short, paddle hard!
iron monkey
Paddler
Paddler

Quote iron monkey Replybullet Posted: 04 Sep 2010 at 3:40pm
Dave,

I apologize if you feel I overeacted.  I  did.  I took your comment the wrong way.  Advice to watch out for who you talk to and how you talk to other river users is good advice.

However I still strongly feel that online comments by boaters about other river users have proven to be detrimental to boater's river access concerns.

dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 4:14pm
Thats cool, I am trying to be more serius on the site and stop screwing around. I just want people to be safe out there and not get attacked or hurt. We have to be careful when it comes to river access, some people can really get upset when we tread on the wrong land.
Nomad
Blair
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Blair Replybullet Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 9:15pm
franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Quote franzhorner Replybullet Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 11:34am
Lets just try to make damn sure that we clean up that space.  We do not want the split rock access to suffer the same fate as the Trout Creek access on the North Fork.  That place used to get trashed by people other than boaters and now it is gated off.  I know that one time me and Aaron picked up 2 garbage bags worth of diapers, beer and whiskey bottles, and other garbage there but you could've done that weekly and not made a dent.  Now only a chosen few boaters can use that access.....

Also be damn careful at Split rock when crossing the road and parking.  People follow each other closely at high speeds coming down from the pass right there and often don't expect there to be cars parked or people loading and unloading.

Pay attention and be mindful when using private access opened to boaters as you would  be paying attention and mindful in Boulder Drop.
MORE RAIN PLEASE
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 1:37pm

Good to call attention to this 'sensitive' spot.  Just want to echo Horner's comments on paying attention to the parking and road crossing element:  we've all seen it when the lot is packed with cars and people and boats; its really an accident waiting to happen, so like Rob says:  "drive crazy and take lot's of chances... "

huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 1:44pm
and thanks Steve for the heads up...
Jeff
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Jeff Replybullet Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 2:56pm
I might as well add a few observations to this posting..

We were at Split Rock on sunday and there was a group of about 5 people cutting and collecting firewood on the south side of the highway (the usual parking pullout).  They were polite and asked that we didn't block them in when we left to head to the put in.  No problem there.  I didn't inquire any further about who they were or if they had permission to be there collecting the wood (downed timber), I just assumed that they were making enough noise that  whoever owns the property on the hillside above the pullout knew who they were and what they were doing.

As for collecting garbage, I always try to at least grab anything that is recyclable from the takeout and put in lots.  If everyone is willing to spend 30 seconds grabbing a few pieces of trash, we can make a big dent in the problem with little effort.

Crossing highway 2 - yep, it's like playing Frogger, however I have found that if you walk slightly east of the trail up from the river (until you are directly across from the pullout across the road) you can get a better sightline looking in both directions and are less likely to get hit and/or cause an accident.  By getting out from abound the blind curve you can see quite a ways in either direction and therefore have better odds then just "run and hope"

Hope this is of some use.

-Jeffro

"What could possibly go wrong?"
www.flickr.com/photos/jeffdwyer/
Steven M
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Steven M Replybullet Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 3:51pm
Apparently the guys cutting wood knew the guy who lives across the Hwy but that is not the owner of the Split Rock access.   The owner lives up stream about 200 yds in the mobil home.  They purchased it just for a vacation spot (large family).  Speaking of which they also wish that we not cross up there to get to the play wave.  It is OK to either walk or paddle up from Split Rock.

Thanks every one for your input.
Steve
Steve McCollough
SupaSta
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote SupaSta Replybullet Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by Jeff

... I have found that if you walk slightly east of the trail up from the river (until you are directly across from the pullout across the road) you can get a better sightline looking in both directions and are less likely to get hit and/or cause an accident.  By getting out from abound the blind curve you can see quite a ways in either direction and therefore have better odds then just "run and hope"

Hope this is of some use.

-Jeffro

I hadn't thought of that.  Thanks!! 

Dan
Life is short, paddle hard!
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 10:11am
great topic- sorry it has to exist but it does. That's one of the things this forum is good for.

I worry a lot aboout the traffic situation.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 12 Sep 2010 at 6:22pm
Why not just use the old takeout at the railroad bridge that has better parking and is public access? Then we wouldnd get run over or have access issues and get to run the last little fun class III rapid.

I like that takeout and its a lot safer!
Nomad
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 5:44am

Because there is very little parking space at railroad bridge. A lot of weekends there is barely enough room for the RR bridge to Big Eddy traffic.

Kyle
I smell bacon
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version