Professor Paddle: Kayakers are weak! vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Kayakers are weak! Post Reply Post New Topic
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Travisimo Replybullet Topic: Kayakers are weak!
    Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 11:12pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74-BI-iI-K8&feature=related

Anybody know somebody that does this?  I'd love to ride along!  I know the mailman runs up the snake river (I think here) once a week...

My old friend's grandpa had a cabin we stayed at once barely up Hells Canyon...

I'd like to go back

Just saw this... had to share!
H2O please
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 11:15pm
James... The youtube link method didn't work.... something wrong?  I went ahead and put in a normal link too... but YouTube didn't work.... (delete this post and edit my original if possible)

(Can I please have editing privileges?  I make tons of mistakes... but not the kind that offend people, just the kind that let folks see how big a fool I am... )
H2O please
wallyworld
Paddler
Paddler

Quote wallyworld Replybullet Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 9:59pm
I grew up in Jet boat country. You should know that.  My middle school english teacher runs a jet boat on the main salmon. His name is Soapy. Parrot on his shoulder and stinks of vodka. You can't miss him. These clowns running the SF Payette at honest flows, can't speak for them. At least they don't have birds on their shoulders and are wearing pfd's apearing somewhat sober.
let's go get it
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 3:36pm
Let's go!  Sounds awesome!

Is the parrot drunk too?
H2O please
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 8:06am
Travis, you can't have the &feature=related in there. Cut that out and it would work.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 8:17am
Oh and might I mention although it looks pretty rad, I almost got hit by a jet boat this last weekend on the rouge. Although one might understand right of ways, if you don't understand how other crafts manuever whitewater there can be pretty serious consequences. A jet boat in midstream up a rapid like these can't just turn around or get out of your way, which means technically although you have the right away, you are not going to get it. Just a though because the couple of guys that were mad at me for coming down a rapid while they were going up had been going mach 10 around a corner and I might have been able to eddy out and wait for them if I knew they were coming, but that is what makes this stuff dangerous, they go very very fast and we don't..... All that to say it was only a close call, but I can imagine accidents between our crafts have happened before.
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 11:32am
That IS scary stuff..

I wouldn't want to wind up under one of those guys for sure!
H2O please
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 10:21am
no doubt. hate encountering powerboats on a whitewater run.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
up4air
McNasty
McNasty

Quote up4air Replybullet Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 10:32am
or jet skis while surfing, or dirt bikes while mountain biking, or snowmobiles while snowboarding (unless it's taking me to virgin powder... :)
More water, please.
Chuck e fresh
Master Poster
Master Poster
Post Jester - Round Tres

Quote Chuck e fresh Replybullet Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 11:51am

I'm with up4air. I wish less gas powered modes of transportation where allowed on fewer things, other than roads, or areas designated to them because usually the operators don't care about the less powerful object in their path. Hmmm... sounds like life in general! Or what does that sound like!? Jet boats are kinda cool though.

There's no such word as can't!so stop making excuses!!!!
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 11:20pm
Well that last comment did it!  I'm making a gas powered kayak 

How many of you have seen my shuttle bicycle, awesome for solo missions!  30MPH on flats, and I have over 200 miles on mine...

I also have 2 snowmobiles that I plan on using for shuttles... once I get them finished (cool back story on how I jumped 10' through my neighbors yard while trying to get the trashed one running )

I think people that are against motorized vehicles for the most part are either jealous, or in the wrong place...

Until you have seen what gasoline can do FOR you, I don't think you appreciate it as much.  I could beat Lance Armstrong on that Huffy, and the kit only cost me $140.

http://cgi.ebay.com/80CC-BICYCLE-MOTOR-ENGINE-KIT-gas-MOTORIZED-BIKE-Black-/190441039674?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c572ba73a

H2O please
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 11:24pm
Oops, I posted this in the wrong thread... this is large enough to see it...

H2O please
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 11:36pm
Also I'll add that I cannot find my "actual" kit anymore... There are several versions, and mine is the biggest most expensive version (but they look identical almost from the outside...)

If anybody wants one, you can check mine out if you drive to Everett...  Then maybe I'll help you find the exact one I have.

Suppliers seem to change packages weekly...
H2O please
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 11:43pm
Man I wish I could edit posts... James???

Anyway... here is the actual kit I have...  In my opinion it is one of the best accessories any kayaker could have.  Meet at a park and ride, take only one vehicle for 100's of miles and lock your shuttle in the woods!!!

Mine is AWESOME, this is the actual kit I have.  Highly recommended!  Years of use, I use it to ride to work too sometimes.  It's a blast!  It gets looks, either disgust from a dude in spandex that I blew away that luckily caught me while waiting for a light... or thumbs up from people watching me blow past them in their cars once they realize how I'm doing it... catching them in traffic. 

It's not as loud as you may think, but not quiet either...  Imagine a chainsaw with a decent muffler

http://cgi.ebay.com/BGF-80CC-BICYCLE-motor-kit-motorized-gas-engine-bike-/170444171246?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27af43a7ee
H2O please
bribri76
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote bribri76 Replybullet Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 2:30pm
Are those just regular brakes? How's it work w/o disc brakes?
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 3:00pm
Nice!

I had thought about getting some kind of motorized bike for relays at one point.  I ended up buying a 50 cc scooter, which I mount on the back of my truck with a motorcyle rack.  http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-HMXCR-HITCH-HAUL-Motorcycle-Carrier/dp/B00067MVBS

I like the 50 cc because its street legal and you don't need a motorcycle endorsement - goes around 45+ mph, which is nice for the times I need it on the road.

But the bike you have has to be pretty light and easier to deal with than my scooter.
“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 3:47pm
If I ever get pulled over "no officer, this is a 45cc kit" Unless you actually measure the piston you won't know the difference...

But I'll race you on that little 45cc one

As far as the brakes, the bicycle stops when I apply the brakes.  It stops the same as any Huffy would traveling at 30mph.

I know there are better bicycles, but they weren't at my house already.
H2O please
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 3:52pm
Oh, wasn't very clear in the last post.  There are two kits, a "street legal" 45cc one and the 80cc one.  Nobody is gonna know the difference...

The thing is a blast, and does really good on big potholes, I thought about a scooter but many roads I'm on are gravel/mud and filled with potholes.

If I had another gear (for the motor)I'd go faster than 30... I also have another gear I could put on to hit 45... but then I lose all my torque.

I can pedal too for acceleration.  The scooters I have raced so far have fallen short
H2O please
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version