Professor Paddle: (Kinda) Newbie needs boat advice vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: (Kinda) Newbie needs boat advice Post Reply Post New Topic
mokelumnekid
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mokelumnekid Replybullet Topic: (Kinda) Newbie needs boat advice
    Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 10:11pm

Seeking advice on a model of “play boat” to try. I’ve been boating about a year, in a mamba 8.0 (creek model). Good, comfortable beginner boat and I’ll keep it as the house river-runner. I’ve got a roll and done most of the usual II+/-III runs a few times: Club Stretch, Main Sky/Big Eddy (walked BD), Cedar, Nisqually, Powerhouse, S. Fork Snoqualmie, Yo-Yo and Headworks, Rogue from Almeda to Foster Bar.

So now junior needs to up his game, grow up and try a more challenging boat (to improve skills if nothing else). So seeking advice on how to start the process of checking out play boats (broadly defined). First off, I’m 6 feet, 170 lbs. But I have long spindly legs, which is why I like the mamba as it has a lot of the volume in the front. No point in debating which is the best play boat as I’m too raw to tell much of a difference probably. What models should I start looking at that won’t be really uncomfortable/deal breaker for legs like tweety bird sticks? All advice welcome, thanks!

IP IP Logged Send Private Message
rokmnky
McNasty
McNasty

Quote rokmnky Replybullet Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 8:52am
project 52
fiddleyak
McNasty
McNasty

Quote fiddleyak Replybullet Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 9:44am
I noticed in the FSBO a $200 Gforce 6.3. Pretty good deal, should fit you fine.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 1:03pm
Just speaking from my personal experience:  even after you buy a playboat, don't forget to get the Mamba out from time to time and keep building on the skills base you have developed.  I bought a playboat around the point in my learning curve that you are at and only used playboat almost exclusively for the next year or two.  My river running skills suffered as a result.  That being said, I am not much of a playboater in spite of using one for a while.  I now have the runner (Burn) that I use most of the time and then a playboat when I am looking to shake it up a bit.  If I had to do it over again, I'd probably have stuck with a runner for the first year or two, kept progressing up the river classification, then tried play boating once I felt I could run III+ comfortably in my runner.  Or carved out more spare time and added playboating to the agenda.  But then I was only looking at 20+ days a year on the river, so I had to make some choices - running or playboating.
“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
doggievacation
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote doggievacation Replybullet Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 2:42pm
Another personal story along the same lines...

I started boating in 1998 and thought I'd progressed enough that I bought a playboat (Necky Gliss) in 1999.  What a mistake!  While I still had fun at play spots, my river running skills were so poor that I spent much of my time out of control and doing unintentional tail stands.  After a few years of that, I pretty much quit white water altogether.  It just wasn't much fun anymore.

Then in 2006, I bought a Mamba and started all over again.  Much to my surprise, I've found that learning to run progressively harder water is extremely fun and hugely rewarding.  What's more, you can still front surf, spin, back surf, etc. in a river runner.  And when you get right down to it, that's about all most people in playboats do anyhow!  (Apologies to more advanced playboaters, of course.)

So my advice is stick with the Mamba for another season or two and keep improving your river running skills.  Get good at surfing big, fast waves in your Mamba.  Try some flat spins.  You don't have to paddle a play boat in order to play.  And what you learn will still be valuable when you finally do buy a play boat.
Don't waste water!
GHannam
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote GHannam Replybullet Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 3:13pm
Mokelumnekid:

Honestly, it comes down to what fits and feels best to you, and how much you're willing to spend; everyone has different body types and paddling styles. There are a TON of playboats out there and there's a boat that will be perfect for you.

I would recommend going to a pool session ('tis the season!) and asking people with playboats to try it out in the pool. Granted, a boat in the pool isn't quite like a boat on the river, however, you can get a feel for the way it fits you, where it's edges are, and how you paddle in it. When you find one that you're comfortable in and enjoy being in, demo it from either a local kayak shop, or if you have a good relationship with the person at the pool session they may let you try it out (probably with them present on the river with you, of course).

Some people just buy a playboat and live with it. This is another approach, but I've heard from enough of my friends that they wish they'd looked hadn't because they found one later that was "so much better" than the one they had blindly purchased.

My playboat is a Jackson Fun. What I like: it's relatively forgiving for a playboat, it can be outfitted to anyone easily, it handles well for my paddling style, and I'm comfortable in it. What I don't like: the rope system for the back brace; it wears out over time and can be annoying to deal with before you get it fixed. I've heard from some people that they've never had this problem with the Jackson rope system; you may not either. Remember though, this is a boat that I like and I own... you may or may not like it yourself.

And with any boat (personal experience on this): habitually check your bolts! They can come loose over time and come undone at the most inopportune moments and cause problems.

Hope that helps!
Hilneevel
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Hilneevel Replybullet Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 5:28pm
I can't help you out with specific boat suggestions, but I disagree with those discouraging you from getting a playboat. I think paddling a playboat while learning is a great way to improve skills and spice up runs you're already comfortable on. I started out with a playboat and didn't get a creeker until I was fairly comfortable paddling class IV. Then when I made the switch I had a really solid base to work from and everything just seemed easier.

Paddling a playboat will make you roll, brace and get stuck in holes more, all of which are critical for building skills. A creeker or river runner may allow you to survive harder runs sooner, but if your goal is skill building, a playboat is a great idea.

mokelumnekid
McNasty
McNasty

Quote mokelumnekid Replybullet Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 8:31pm

Thanks everyone (and those that PM’d me). Awesome and diverse input! Here’s the back-story. I recently ran into a guy I took my first roll class with. He told me he had done Boulder Drop running at 5 gazillion cfs, etc. etc. and other solid runs about the time I was crawling down Big Eddy like a scardy-cat. The difference was that he aggressively got into doing pool sessions with a play boat. He had to learn how to roll, brace, and swash-buckle from the get-go. He may flip as much as me in big water, but sounds like he shrugs it off better, and has internalized a sense of confidence that I lack. Hell folks- I still can’t brace (grrrrrr….and I’m trying…’nuther story)

Reminds me of my climbing days as a trad guy (yeah I’m that old). When sport and bouldering came along everyone’s skill level shot through the roof. So I ask myself if having a play boat in addition to my Mamba will encourage me to develop an enhanced sense of balance and tempo, and allow me to progress more quickly by working two fronts. Just like bouldering or going to the climbing gym does to climbing.Or I'll suck at both of 'em

I’m really not interested in play boating for its own sake (but good on ya folks who do!) I am really interested in down-river experiences at this point (that trad thing again?). Plus I swear there are days on the Sky when I’m the only guy out there in an eight foot, 46 pound boat! How uncool. Just saying!

Thanks again everyone and keep it coming,

iron monkey
Paddler
Paddler

Quote iron monkey Replybullet Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 11:43pm
The best way to increase your skill level and confidence and improve your balance and ability to work  with the water is to handpaddle. It sounds like you dont care about playboating just becoming a better boater.  If so get rid of the paddle and try some Power Paws(hand paddles)
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 12:34pm
Dude- i'll spare everyone the longwinded posts that are my signature on this site-

Get a playboat. No reason to confine or restrict yourself if U got da $.

BUT don't draw the carriage before the horse, bro. RIVER RUNNING or creekin or whatever you wanna call it is the STAPLE of this sport. I'd put it slightly ahead of your playboating agenda, but at the end of the river day follow your bliss.

Here's what no one is saying in the whitewater world, that you need to hear:

NO SKILL is as important as a Forward Stroke. Not the Eskimo Roll, Not the boof, certainly not the cartwheel, none of that crap. While you are paddling class II and III you should PADDLE through your flatwater instead of floating and bobbing along like all the driftwood out there. It isn't as glamorous, but it will serve you better in the long run, and it will help all the other skill fall into place.

BtW every one's 2 cents have merits, too. This is a mysterious sport in which the lonely unknown paddler who quietly plys his or her craft can learn things that the latest and greatest record breakers don't know, and vice versa.

The Tao that can be named is not the eternal Tao
(Not refereing to Tao Bergman, BTW)

enjoy the journey and don't worry so much about the destination.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 1:01pm
I would recommend some of the "non-conventional" playboats that are in todays modern market. Such as the Dagger Axiom, Pyranha Z.One, WaveSport Fuse. they have the advantages of a downriver boat (fast, tracking, etc.) but at the same time will be slightly more squirrelly than your Mamba, thus forcing you to learn to brace like a pro. The low volume sterns and higher volume bows will change the way that you paddle, forcing you to really commit to your edge when catching eddies and peeling out.

Also boats like the Axiom and Z.One have the modern comfort and control advantages that older generation boats lack, such as increased volume in the knee area. I've never personally paddled the Axiom but from what I hear it's a high quality boat. I would discourage some of the "modern playboats", they're like paddling a potato unless your on a wave or hole.

And like jP says, the forward stroke and your "basic" strokes are at the forefront of importance when it comes to increasing your skill.

Also when your paddling, on stretches of river that are in your comfort zone try and increase the difficulty level. Catch EVERY EDDY, and try and make some hard ferries thus simulating a class up (make that class II a class III). This way you can practice those harder skills without getting completely out of your comfort level.

I hope that wasn't too off topic, but I hope it's helpful, and I look forward to seeing you on the river someday.
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
SupaSta
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote SupaSta Replybullet Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 11:46pm
mokelumnekid?  Are you a cali boy?

Yeah, I got my start down there too; spent many a weekend on the 'ol Moke.  I certainly miss it; but the NW is where it's at.  No doubt about it.

Lots of opinions here, but I say get yerself a playboat fer sure.  Whatever you get, it's going to be a lot less stable and forgiving than that Mamba.  And that's a good thing.  It will teach you balance, bracing, roll technique, and edging - all of which are critical when you get into harder water.

So don't worry about which playboat is the right one.  Any will do, as long as it fits you and you're comfortable in it.

Dan
Life is short, paddle hard!
GHannam
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote GHannam Replybullet Posted: 02 Oct 2010 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by jP

NO SKILL is as important as a Forward Stroke. Not the Eskimo Roll, Not the boof, certainly not the cartwheel, none of that crap. While you are paddling class II and III you should PADDLE through your flatwater instead of floating and bobbing along like all the driftwood out there. It isn't as glamorous, but it will serve you better in the long run, and it will help all the other skill fall into place.

enjoy the journey and don't worry so much about the destination.

Great point jP, as always! And I like the bottom sentence there, it's a great way to live IMO.
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 02 Oct 2010 at 10:13pm
I have a Project 62 and a Dagger Axiom. The Axiom is my favorite boat, but I am not sure I would say it is worth the money if you already have a Mamba (if you plan on keeping the Mamba). The Project has plenty of room in it, but if you don't want to be a playboater it is a bit of overkill.

It sounds like you should try to build your skills as a boater rather than buy a new boat. The difference between you and your friend are that he put in the time in the pool to hone his abilities, and he is more comfortable on the water than you. Start hitting the pool sessions, go to some of the WKC skills clinics, and work on your mental game and you will get where you want.

Kyle
I smell bacon
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 6:39am
Hear hear!!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋