Professor Paddle: Multi-Day Deschutes vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Multi-Day Deschutes Post Reply Post New Topic
pottert
Super Looper
Super Looper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pottert Replybullet Topic: Multi-Day Deschutes
    Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 2:42pm
So I am planning a 3 day 2 night trip on the Deschutes and am looking any information regarding put ins, take outs, portages, and camping spots. I have never run any section of the Deschutes so anything would be helpful. The trip will be in the spring sometime, probably late April or early May.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
rainpaddle
Paddler
Paddler

Quote rainpaddle Replybullet Posted: 19 Oct 2010 at 5:40pm
We do a self support on the Deschutes every year. I'm not sure which run you are interested in, as there are 2 that I know of. The "upper," starts at either Warm Springs off OR26 and goes roughly 53 miles to Sandy Beach, just north of Maupin. We like the alternate put in at Trout Creek, because it shaves off 9 miles of flatwater. There is a lot of flatwater on the trip, anyway, but the camping is great, interesting wildlife from rattlesnakes, birds, wild horses, deer and coyote. In April or May the water is higher and count on 6000 to 10,000 CFS, though I've really only seen it go up to 8k.

The biggest rapid that is not roadside is Whitehorse. It is 3+ big water run and long. There is a short and fast moving pool that goes right into another long-ish 2 to 2+ after the main drop. Any carp will be in the water for quite awhile. On the left side there is an easier channel to bump down at lower water. Quite possibly you could walk the left "bank" but it's a long scramble across mid size boulders. The other reason I mention the left channel is that if someone swims, the possibility of getting into an eddy on the left side is much better than the main channel. If someone swims the main channel they better be like Michael Phelps or it's on to Lower Whitehorse they go.

Other than that, count on wind in the afternoon, no campfires from May to October, but great camping. I like Upper Dant on that section. We've camped in between the Whitehorses and just above depending, on how long the shuttle takes, (more on that later.) The day stretch is above and below Maupin. Straight forward except Oak Springs which is rated either 4 or 3+ depending the source. Easy portage on the right. Don't swim it as there are reefs below the main hole that will tear the hell out of you. Ask me how I know.

The lower section just north of Maupin is interesting, also with great camping. There is a much longer flatwater section, but the length is the same as the upper at 44 miles. Not quite as many rapids, nor are they quite as memorable as Whitehorse or Oak Springs. At higher water in the spring they seem to me to get that washed out feeling. In late summer flows, I actually enjoyed it more as they were sharper and I felt busier.

Lots of information at www.boaterpass.com. We have used Linda's River Shuttles to have the car waiting for us at the takeout. On the lower stretch it was like a hundred bucks. Kinda worth it when even weekend warriors like me are pressed for time. The shuttle on either section is about 3 hours, otherwise. On 3 day weekends, consider the FR23 that connects the Cispus drainage to the White Salmon, due to I-5 holiday traffic. Be advised to check with the Forest Service during spring to summer if it is open or there are slides. One last note, the upper section is more popular and getting a permit, especially for 3 day weekends will require a little more pre-planning. Feel free to PM me if you need more info. We will likely be doing the upper next Memorial Day weekend if you or anyone else wants to come along. Might even be able to get a rafter to take the "beer equation" out of the picture.

Cheers,

Rob G
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 19 Oct 2010 at 6:16pm
cool, Rob! Thanks a lot for sharing that info w/ us all.

I've only run the day stretch through Oak Springs (once-commercially guided raft trip). Yup Oak Springs is the "Crux" rapid, and it gets its class IV rep from the skin shredding basalt you sited. While the line is an easy class III to the left  in a kayak, if you stray far enough to the right and get chundered in the hole (it's big and mean on the right), you got the skin shredding basalt to look forward to immediately afterward.

Some of my fellow White Salmon guides have really taken a liking to the multi-day deschutes trip similar to what Rob has outlined.

If I had a clone I'd send him out to explore this run (just got too many competing priorities)--there are lots of camping options so it's worth doing your homework. There is a really sweet guidbook for the river detailing them, and there's some cool history surrounding the run as well.

Wind. Lots of wind.

Those who read this and know me are waiting for the classic jP punchline:
BRING LONGBOATS.

have fun, and-oh yeah-
Rob's got it right: bring a raft. A Deschutes trip ain't complete without copious amounts of beer!!!!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 19 Oct 2010 at 6:19pm
...And if you got any hot chicks going rafting with you, ask me about the "Maupin Special"

--sorry, PC PNW!!!
West Virginia river culture is rubbing off on me-and it feels pretty good!
Nice to check that PC BS at the door for a bit
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
pottert
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote pottert Replybullet Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 12:14pm
Sounds rad! Unfortunately this is a university sponsored trip so beer is already out of the equation but it should be good. Whats the Maupin Special JP?
dblanchard
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote dblanchard Replybullet Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 12:28pm
Yes, I'm curious also.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
rainpaddle
Paddler
Paddler