Professor Paddle: Robe Changes vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Robe Changes Post Reply Post New Topic
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Topic: Robe Changes
    Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 2:18pm
Here is the run down on the new Robe per a particularly cold Saturday run.

Disclaimer: this will be long because I am long winded. It is in my nature. If you dont want to "waste your time" then don't read it, and certainly don't post something stupid about how I wasted your time. You wasted your time, I have no control over what you do.

First item of note: the gauge. If you check the NWRF gauge it reads .3 to .4 lower than reality. It read 5.0 but was actually 5.4ish when I floated by it at the end of the day. I will say that 5.4 felt pushier than the usual 5.4 in a few of the rapids, particularly Faceplant, but more on that later. I would say the run, overall, has become harder.

Now, onto the changes.

Mr. Funky Winker Bean: not much, but if you run the right of center the hole there seems to be stickier. I surfed for a good 20 seconds even after a good boof. I would go left of center.

T1: You now run center to left, boofing off a rock at the bottom left in front of that tombstone rock. You could throw a quick left sweep after you land to get you right of the rock, but it is way easier to just go left of the tombstoner.

T2: same

Last Sunshine: Let us all say a word of remembrance for the awesomeness that was Last Sunshine. We will all be uttering these words to Robe newbies: "This rapid used to be f**king great. Now, not so much." Basically, all the boulders in the top middle of the drop have rolled forward and to the left (the same ones that rolled the last flood and shut down the middle boof). The left line is still the line, but it is shorter (only like a 5 foot drop) and you land in this pocketed in area in between the left wall and the boulders on your right. There could be lines down the middle, but I think you would need 6 feet for them to go (could be sweet boofs, but prob. still real junky.) No one had any real problems here, but there is a tendency to either get shot into the boulders on the right, or stuffed into the wall on the left. The line requires NO SPEED. Dont paddle in, just have left angle.

Boogie above Hotel Cali: same, some minor changes here and there, nothing significant

Hotel Cali: same, some minor changes here and there, nothing significant

Hole in the Wall: This one has changed significantly. All the boulders on the right, where the boof is, have rolled into the boof slot shutting it down. But, before you cry into your beer about this one, there is now a sweet boof to the left of the old boof, right next to this tall pinnacle looking rock. There is also a line to the left of the rock, but it looks tight, like a tiger. For the right line, just be sure you are as close to the right side of the rock as possible, with a right stroke.

Dead Deer, or lead in to Faceplant: This rapid is f**king awesome now! Somehow the top left got steeper and created a 5 foot boof. Everything else is the same.

Faceplant(and hole ride number 2 for the day): The rapid itself hasnt changed, but how much water and where it is going has. More water is coming into the main line, making 5.4 feel more like 5.7 in the rapid. It also funnels way more to the left, and the hole/wave at the bottom left on the wall is now a legit hole. The line is the same, but the results are varied. I used to just drop in with no speed and deal with the middle, then move right. Now, you need to put some heat on to the right when you are dropping into those curlers. If you dont, you will salmon jump out of the middle in a massive stern squirt, get shot hard left, hit the wall, and surf the hole. The hole is pretty violent. I was in there for about 20 to 30 seconds, but luckily didnt get rolled over. Real bouncy though. Even if you grease the line you still have to punch the right side of the hole, so I would suggest being straight.

Catchers Mitt: The good news: the sneak line hasnt changed. The bad news: the left line is stickier. Out of about 7 people running the left there were 5 rodeo sessions. Surprisingly, only one swim. I will still be running the sneak.

Mank pile after the Mitt: Boy has this thing gotten waaaaaaaay better. Mank is gone and has been replaced by a juicy 4 to 5 foot ledge that serves up some stern squirts. It is fun.

Landslide: Its changed, you should talk to Rob if you are interested. I didnt pay that much attention. The put in at the bottom has gotten more interesting though. Not worse, or better, just different.

Garbage: same line just slightly different

20 ft. waterfall: pretty much the same except you come into the top left boof from center right instead of along the bank. There is wood on the left but it isnt in play, unless you totally goon the approach.

Off Broadway: top boof is the same. Bottom is kind of the same, just make sure you have some left momentum because there is a janky rock pile you could end up in on the right.

Conversation: same

Mrs. Robinsons: totally gone!  

Just kidding, Mrs. Robinsons is still there. Run right or left, like always.

Sidenote: below Mrs. Robinsons there is that final wave/hole that is fun to punch or surf. It is past one or two boogie rapids. Dont surf it. Scott did, got flipped, and smashed the side of his face on a shallow rock right behind it (probably what is creating it). He blacked out and then came to underwater. No swim, but he couldnt see for a few minutes and then seemed drunk. He definitely had to go to the hospital. Another reason for a full face!

Later,

Jonathan
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 3:04pm
What a waste of time...

Kidding! Good stuff, just the kinda input that this site needs more of! The Rio Banditos thank you. I'll put a link to this post on the Robe page. If you'd like to work this beta into the run description at some point, even better.

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 3:04pm
I was going to joke around about a waste of time but humor and web don't mix all that well. Awesome writeup thanks for taking the time to get that out there. Sad to hear about sunshine.

God bless you please, Mrs. Robinson
Heaven holds a place for those who pray

PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 4:02pm
Thanks for the write-up...interesting stuff.  Glad to hear the Catcher's Mitt sneak is still doable    and the inbetween junk has cleaned up a bit.  

I was on my way to meet up for the run on Saturday until a blood vessel ruptured in my arm, causing a hematoma the size an egg to appear.  Sounds like there were two visits to the ER that day. 
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 8:35pm
As a side note, I have just been informed the rapids everyone considers t1 and t2 are from the old rapids trap door 1 and trap door 2, and were actually below last sunshine. So, the t1 and t2 everyone thinks of, technically, are not t1 or t2. The boogie water after last sunshine is the old trap door 1 and trap door 2
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 7:35am
I've only heard of those rapids referee to as tunnel rapids one and two. But I've never hear anyone even give the rapids above Hotel California a name... So we can still call those trap doors one and two if it's needed.

Additionally, don't know if any key mentioned this: the woodjam is no longer an issue.
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 7:38am
Can you tell I went to school in California?
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 8:14am
I have only heard of the tunnel rapids T1 and T2 being the drops directly above sunshine.
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 8:19am
It's bad enough that boaters change the names of rapids over the years... But now on top of that we have rivers who seem to think they can change rapids and even change placement of them or remove or create them completely. What nerve!
GHannam
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote GHannam Replybullet Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 9:24am
Here's some footage a co-worker showed me that was taken on 12 December 2010:

Thanks for the info, Jonathan. I don't run the Robe *yet*, but someday I shall
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 26 Dec 2010 at 6:22pm
T1 and T2 actually refer to "Trap Door 1" and "Trap Door 2", which used to be noticable drops between Last Sunshine and Don's Hole.  In certain Robe configurations, they were more substantial than Last Sunshine.  Tunnel was just referred to as Tunnel, or upper and lower Tunnel...   
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version