Professor Paddle: Dramatic Whitewater Swim *Video Attached* vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Dramatic Whitewater Swim *Video Attached* Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
Blair
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Blair Replybullet Topic: Dramatic Whitewater Swim *Video Attached*
    Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 2:19pm
I'm sure many of you have already heard of my never ending and embarrassing swim the other day on The Sky, and if you haven't seen the Dramatic video I put together of it, here it is for you all to laugh at. I'll tell you that I was parted from my boat from Ned's Needle, all the way until Split Rock surf wave!!! It just wasn't my day and thankfully Rob was there to rescue my gear. All I really wanted to do that day was to park n play, but ended up putting in at the confluence and paddlin anyways...I guess you really should stick with your original plans sometimes...

Anyways, to top it off, my wife came to hang out at split rock wave while I played, but instead got to watch and film me getting slammed into house rock and swimming the best parts of the river. A loving wife never puts down the camera, no matter how much danger her husband may be in!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eng_qnFz2Kc

P.S. If I knew how to embed the video (James...) I would.
Behind the scenes footage of what really happened following BD is available only on my computer! Must be 18yrs or older. I may have stripped my drysuit and clothing due to hypothermic delirium and danced around like D4 does when D1 isn't home...

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Blair
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Blair Replybullet Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 2:21pm

It's definitely not horrible carnage, it's just good whitewater drama footage!
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 3:12pm
This is really tough I know... if you click the button and follow the instructions you should be able to do it. Complex... extremely, impossible... not really.
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 3:13pm
Nice video. I am glad it worked out. What was the level?

Kyle
I smell bacon
Blair
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Blair Replybullet Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by James

This is really tough I know... if you click the button and follow the instructions you should be able to do it. Complex... extremely, impossible... not really.

My browser doesn't offer that YouTube link. I'm on a Mac using Safari and I fear change. You kids and your high tech gadgets!
Blair
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Blair Replybullet Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Wiggins

Nice video. I am glad it worked out. What was the level?

Kyle

Mr. Wiggins, I'd like to see who can guess the level based on looking at
the picket fence and house rock...
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 4:00pm
5000-5500??
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 4:05pm
Another vote for 5500...
-Jay
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 4:07pm
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 4:09pm
Not 4673.49781234 and dropping?
-Jay
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 4:17pm
If it is, the gauge is off.
wylddeuces2
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote wylddeuces2 Replybullet Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 8:57pm
You guys crack me up... this site is like facebook for paddlers!!! 
To each their own. If it makes you happy it cant be that bad, im happy for you! For what does matter...is what makes You happy!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 8:49am
Blair,
First off, glad to hear you are ok.  Way to step it up. 

I couldn't help wonder if you knew or not... but you were attempting to boof the shiz out of NED's... not the Needle.  IF you had run the Needle you probably would've been just fine, maybe flipped but definitely flushing.  BUT Ned's is a different matter all together as you are well aquainted with now.  IF you fail to boof and land on a stroke at 5k then prepare for the swirlies which many have discovered.  Typically Ned's is much more managable below 4k but above that you better be ON and ready to deal.  

Great job on your rolls at the top in the entrance.  Just try that door to the right of Ned's next time and it should go fine. 

Another observation that I will add is that the other dude you were paddling with is like having two paddlers on the river (except when he's in that broken down plastic innertube he calls a kayak).  He's pretty limited in the amount of help he can provide in that rig, so word to the wise.   

Again, way to step it up...  BD is mostly a 'forgiving' rapid at those levels. 

BTW, I too have notched my first swim for the 2011 year (TT), although mine wasn't so dramatic.   SO, cheers and beers for the booty!

PS. I'll give that other dude some fuzz for letting you swim the run.
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 9:49am
Where did you swim mike?
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 10:07am
The hole below Crack?
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 10:17am
Well, I'm glad you asked Dan...  in a big green eddy below Witch's Brew (last boulder garden rapid) on TopTye.  A pretty lame affair after two super fun laps (box down).  Paranoia was frickin amazing.  The swim isn't so much the bummer as the tweaked shoulder.  Could be a couple weeks before I get out again  :( :( :(

YO BLAIR, nice loops at the end of the vid.  Got the story cleared up with the other dude.  He shared that it was all completely under control and that you champed the swim down for the gear. 
doggievacation
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote doggievacation Replybullet Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 10:27am
Blair,

Not to be critical, but you seemed like an amazingly passive and indifferent swimmer in the video.  I mean, it's good not to panic and all, but isn't the idea (of being a good swimmer) to continue to read the water and decide where you want to go instead of just letting the current take you wherever?  Again, I'm not trying to go negative after you posted such entertaining footage, but I'm always looking for something to learn in these videos.

Props for jumping into Ned's at 5k plus.  Definitely not something I would attempt.

John
Don't waste water!
Blair
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Blair Replybullet Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 10:36am
Originally posted by huckin harms

YO BLAIR, nice loops at the end of the vid.  Got the story cleared up with the other dude.  He shared that it was all completely under control and that you champed the swim down for the gear. 

Yes, I swam to get my paddle, but then it was lost from my sight. I figured Rob had my boat, I had my paddle, but it didn't work out that way. I did mean to run Ned's. I've ran it around 30 times. The day before at 6,500cfs, I ran the Needle. I felt confident in running Ned's this day (1st time for 5,000) and didn't work out so well. Harder than I thought. Thanks for the compliments Mike. GET BETTER SOON!
Blair
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Blair Replybullet Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 10:48am
Originally posted by doggievacation

Blair,Not to be critical, but you seemed like an amazingly passive and indifferent swimmer in the video.  I mean, it's good not to panic and all, but isn't the idea (of being a good swimmer) to continue to read the water and decide where you want to go instead of just letting the current take you wherever?  Again, I'm not trying to go negative after you posted such entertaining footage, but I'm always looking for something to learn in these videos.Props for jumping into Ned's at 5k plus.  Definitely not something I would attempt.John

I'd have to disagree. If you notice, the video is in slow-motion, so it looks like I have much more time to make actions. Also, the camera has a much better view on top of my head but realistically, I couldn't see sh*t before getting splashed in the face or pulled under. I didn't even know I was headed into House Rock. I just knew I hit something big which knocked my paddle and boat out of my hands instantly. I did manage to miss the big hole beneath with a few backstrokes. After the messy part, I was trying to catch my breath and then attempt to get my paddle, which went out of site (watching the footage, having known the paddle was behind me, I would've turned around to fetch it asap!). I know the run fairly well so I knew I had some distance before the Weir as well so I wasn't in a hurry. I could've got out of the river right there at the end of the video but I was going for my paddle, but I cut the video before you can see such.

Regardless of this situation, I do need to work on my self-rescue skills.
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 10:48am
No disrespect Intended Mike, I know you don't swim often so I was curious is all. Is that the one where you bang over the shelf on river right and the river curves right at the bottom? Right above the bridge? That sucks man. Heal up, gotta be ready for chelan in July!
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
doggievacation
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote doggievacation Replybullet Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 11:09am
I think I'd have to agree with you, Blair.  Even slowed down, sh*t is happening fast.  I was mainly concerned about the way you floated into House Rock, but after getting worked below Ned's and coming out of your boat, it's definitely going to take a few moments to get your wits about you and start swimming to river left.  (Assuming, of course, that you realize the current is probably going to shove you more to the right, straight into House Rock.  Same thing has happened to me before, after floundering around below the Needle; not swimming, but not really in control of my boat yet.) 

Anyhow, I'm just trying to learn from other peoples experiences.  

(Nice choice of music!)

John
Don't waste water!
jella
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote jella Replybullet Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 11:32am
blair you are such a dork!
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 10:59am
Dan, no disrespect recieved... yeah that's the rapid, last one... tried running it down far right but that's not the best way to start, imo.  The middle line at the top sets up for the final turn around the rock outcrop.  Lots of current pushing into the wall on left that is all carved out.  Man, that is one of my favorite runs ever. 
The shoulder is feeling better, chopped up some more rounds this morning so it's not going to be months... just weeks.  Thanks for the well wishing. 

Ditto on the choice of music you got for the vid. 

jhoff
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote jhoff Replybullet Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 12:28pm
When I crash hard in a rapid, I prefer to critique my paddling technique rather than my swimming technique.

I would submit that at higher flows the ideal line for Ned's is NOT the usual right-to-left move, but going straight off the left side, preferably with a righty boof stroke.

Reason being that at higher levels, Ned's has a folded flow. If you go right-to-left, you'll sub under the top (i.e.) left flow and lose speed/angle, right when you need it most. Which is exactly what happens at 1:24-1:28 in the video.

Also, a straight-on boof is just way easier to pull off than a cross-current boof. Higher flows open up that straight boof, so why not take it? Doing it the hard way would be good practice for creeking, though.

Thoughts? You gotta love the way technology makes it possible to be a Monday-morning-QB for kayaking.
doggievacation
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote doggievacation Replybullet Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 1:13pm
Anybody who posts a video on PP is literally asking for comments.  (Or, rather, they'd be very disappointed if they DIDN'T get any comments.)  But does every single comment have to be a simple Attaboy?    Guess I never saw that rule in the forum guidelines.
Don't waste water!
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version