Professor Paddle: Weekend weather vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Rules
 Professor Paddle : Site Support : Rules
Message Icon Topic: Weekend weather Post Reply Post New Topic
chipmaney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote chipmaney Replybullet Topic: Weekend weather
    Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 4:53pm
Early signs point to the OP as being the wettest this weekend with drier weather to the central and particularly south....

NWAC Th-Sat forecast:

The upper level ridge that has dominated the recent Pacific Northwest weather is expected to flatten and weaken by Thursday. This shoudl allow warm frontal moisture from a disturbance moving across the eastern north Pacific to spread over the region. Initially across the north part including the Olympics and north Washington Cascades Thursday morning and gradually shifting southward late Thursday. However freezing levels should remain relatively high as the moisture moves in. Northwest flow aloft is expected to increase across the region from Thursday through Saturday. Warm frontal moisture should continue to cause periods of light to moderate precipitation through the extended period. The heaviest expected precipitation should remain over the north part of the Cascades and Olympics with very little precipitation reaching the Mt Hood area or south Washington Cascades. Pass level flow should quickly turn onshore with the onset of precipitation Thursday and persist through the Saturday period. This should limit any lowering of freezing levels in the passes where precipitation is mostly expected to be of the rain variety.

sitting all alone on a mountain by a river that has no end
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 7:58am
Fantastic!  Can you feel the sarcasm... just what we need is another round of rain on snow.  Steven's Pass looks like April.  January was a complete bust for snowfall.  And its all been just a matter of a couple degrees or so.  This next Spring runoff is looking fairly flat if more snow doesn't start falling up there.  Sorry for such a negative outlook, but its just bumming me out when all that wonderful precip could be money in the bank.  Instead its like an old wino guzzeling up all the good juice in one gulp.  Man, I wish we could control this weather thing....   oh well.  Thanks Chip for the heads up.   
fiddleyak
McNasty
McNasty

Quote fiddleyak Replybullet Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 9:55am
Come on, this is a kayaking forum.
You should be like, "sweet, another great weekend of whitewater!" I can't believe how consistently we've had great flows for the last couple months.
The bright side of having low snow-pack? All the goods in BCs will run earlier.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 10:08am
Always the optimist ... Way ta be Ben
chipmaney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote chipmaney Replybullet Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 1:10pm
Looks like the Green Truss (LW?) might run this weekend, too....

Yeah, Mike, you are showing a penchant for farsightedness not typical of kayaker types, which I personally find refreshing. Must be our age....As for me, though, right now I can't get past this weekend! 

Although Ben is right, it's a give-and-take with weather patterns and run-off.  However, I'll take Spring in Leavenworth anyday over cold January camping on the OP!  We were out there last year and couldn't even get store-bought wood to burn....yeesh.  Got in some great boating though!

septimus prime
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote septimus prime Replybullet Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by huckin harms

Fantastic!  Can you feel the sarcasm... just what we need is another round of rain on snow.  Steven's Pass looks like April.  January was a complete bust for snowfall.  And its all been just a matter of a couple degrees or so.  This next Spring runoff is looking fairly flat if more snow doesn't start falling up there.  Sorry for such a negative outlook, but its just bumming me out when all that wonderful precip could be money in the bank.  Instead its like an old wino guzzeling up all the good juice in one gulp.  Man, I wish we could control this weather thing....   oh well.  Thanks Chip for the heads up.   

That analogy has me rolling right now. Who knows though, we could get a lot of snow the next two months.
Jon Shell Bee
chipmaney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote chipmaney Replybullet Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 5:25pm
Yeah, I seem to recall us having the same discussion about this time last year, and last year's runoff was epic, at least in terms of duration. I can't recall the last time China Gorge ran for over a month....so there's always hope!
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 6:18pm
I'm with Ben, fire some sh*t up!!! his winter has been awesome!!!! Got on 2 new runs in Jan. Anyone else?
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version