Professor Paddle: Pure XL vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Pure XL Post Reply Post New Topic
wwaddict
Paddler
Paddler

Online Status: Offline
  Quote wwaddict Replybullet Topic: Pure XL
    Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 4:23pm

I don’t post much and when I do it’s mostly to give people crap so thought I’d try to add something of value…

This should probably go into a product review but then no one would read it.

Anyway, I’ve been looking for a new creek boat and mostly considered the new burn, everest, villain or prijon pure xl.  I decided to go with a pure xl based upon several reviews and their reputation for bomber plastic and a 5 yr warranty.  Other major factors were the boat weight (I think its 47 lbs) and volume (87 gal seemed about right after demoing the villain at 92.5, and my burn at 80 or everest 84, I’m around 205 without gear so was looking for a little more volume).  Don’t quote me on these numbers, I’m really sensitive about my weight.

I have only paddled it twice but after the second time I am super stoked to have gone with it.  I was able to get on some bigger water and it seems very stable.  I won’t go into the details of what kind of hull, rocker, edges, secondary stability, blah blah blah or what they mean cause I’m not all that sure myself (did I just discredit my review with that statement?, wait… who gives a f#ck).  Their website has some good pics if you want to take a look at it.  It is a little longer at 8’-10” than I thought I would like and did notice the extra length.  However, it does perform well and I found that while keeping my weight more forward and aggressive it stays on line very well while still being able turn and when in a more neutral position I was able to spin it around pretty easy to change direction.  It’s faster than my burn.  So, initial verdict is that it kicks @ss.

It will still plug the sh!t out of drops if you don’t boof.  So that sucks…

-joe

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
shrek
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote shrek Replybullet Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 4:33pm
You call this value?  Try again.  That boat looks like a turd I dropped after a long night of drinking. 
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
shrek
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote shrek Replybullet Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 4:34pm
I'm just kidding.   I'm actually really jealous.
DaveH
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote DaveH Replybullet Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 4:45pm
I think you're just jealous of his weight.
206-795-0617
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 5:17pm
I don't think that he is jealous of how big joe is.... oh I get it

And to chime in on the note of turd... drinking does not make nice turds.. you need some solids in your diet there Shrek, stop splatter blasting and get some food on your menu!!!!
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 6:31pm
right on Joe!  glad to hear you got a new boat... and one that should last-  5yr warranty, wow that's amazing! 
thanks for sharing your thoughts about it....
shrek
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote shrek Replybullet Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 9:36am
Hey good idea James.  I'm having jello shots and bourbon balls for dinner tonight.  I'll let you know how it goes.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 10:06am
If bourbon balls are like body shots and Joe is going to be over there I don't know if I want that update!
DaveH
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote DaveH Replybullet Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 10:34am
Footage of the Bourbon Balls Body Shots from Joe's helmet cam will be featured in the previews at SIFF's Wildwater movie night.
206-795-0617
fiddleyak
McNasty
McNasty

Quote fiddleyak Replybullet Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 12:01pm
Glad you like the boat Joe. No more of this "I'm gonna hike out above the gorge 'cause my boat's broken" bs.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 3:11pm

sweet, Joe. I just saw one last Saturday at the Put-in. My Eskimo (same molding process) has over 260 some trips on it in the last 3 yrs, basicly still going strong!

ALL modern creekboats basicly have plenty good secondary stability. The chines (yeah just cause they aren't razor sharp like the burn doesn't mean they aren't there or aren't affective, they just work a little different) are very much like the Salto (my boat).

I noticed that it still comes to a more "old school" flavored point in the bow, so while the nose has plenty of lift like any contemporary creeker, it will still pierce through stuff. This, IMO isn't "good" or "bad", it just is what it is and will have pros and cons depending on the situation.

8'10", huh? sweet! looks like we need to lobby for slightly longer length restrictions in these races so the Pure can be included in them. 8' 10" is plenty short. Period.

The widest point is noticably present near the knees. I
d really be curious to know how wide the boat is. Looked wider than 24" for sure...

Originally posted by wwaddict

It will still plug the sh!t out of drops if you don’t boof.  So that sucks… 

yeah, my Salto is that way too, and it kinda did suck at first till I got used to how the boat handeled.
I suppose that since there is still a very strong "old school elite" designing those German boats, some old school principles prevail as well: for example, (and this is just me speculating,) I imagine that these German designers expect a paddler to bring certain skills to the boat, whereas more recent boat designers seem to want to broaden their market by designing boats that "boof themselves". I think you'll find that if you keep an open mind about the Pure's design traits, you'll tap into some of its hidden potential. You can't gain some traits without abondoning others.

anyway, enjoy ...
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
shrek
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote shrek Replybullet Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 4:24pm
Dave H likes bourbon balls on his chin
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version