Professor Paddle: Ernie's Gorge vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Ernie's Gorge Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
Kyle K
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kyle K Replybullet Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 11:06pm
I may get fried for this but back in the old days (I was only an observer as a raft guide) it seems they used to run stuff routinely at much higher flows. I should qaulify that I'm talking about CA here as I was down there and not in WA. If you read the California Guide by Stanley and Holbeck you'll notice that their recommendations for run levels are typically much higher than folks run them these days. Maybe the longer boats of yore punched through holes better, or rolled better or maybe they just didn't like rocks. Whatever, there are some pretty cool high water runs from the old days that seem pretty scary compared to the average levels things get run now. Again, I'm talking CA.

Of course there are some hard chargers that are pushing the high water limits today too so I'm not trying to say the old guys were better. Think about Rob, et al, running Tumwater at super high levels (in his Kingpin!). And of course the NF Payette crew last year. Amazing stuff that I don't imagine I'd ever have the huevos to do.
"I used to be somebody, now I'm somebody else." Bad Blake                  
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 11:27am
Yeah, I'll check out that old article eventually- don't have great internet access as you know.

Gorge or Canyon is kind of a "Potato/ Pototo if ya get my drift.
Let's call the whole thing OFF!! (just kiddin- that's a song, you know)

But regardless: Too late- I already changed the name to "Ernie's Gorge" on the river description page, not that I care all that much. I do know Jim, though, and he told me that it should be "gorge" . That's good enough for me.

really though, I gotta bigger fish to fry- like bust'n people's balls 'cause they don't know how to maintain fires (when staying warm is important in the winter) or run shuttle in a way that makes life easy instead of hard, ect.

still, whatever happens, you know I love ya all (well, kinda )
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by jP

still, whatever happens, you know I love ya all (well, kinda )

jP, we 'kinda' love you, too.     kinda              
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version