Professor Paddle: Parking on the Sky vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Parking on the Sky Post Reply Post New Topic
Steven M
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Steven M Replybullet Topic: Parking on the Sky
    Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 7:08pm
I don't know if any one caught it but I am affraid that DOT is shutting down parking along Hwy #2.  They just closed the fishing access parking at the Wallace river bridge.  It said in the paper that they aquired over 5 million to improve safety on Hwy #2 and they are closing the parking spaces along the Hwy.  ie RR Bridge, Split Rock, Boulder Drop, the Confluence.  I am not sure of all of the points they chose to close but we will need to act quickly if we intend to save any of our parking spots
Steve McCollough
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 9:36am
Hey Steven:

Thanks for the heads up. Could you post up a link to the source that says they'll be eliminating all parking along US2? I could only find info about the specific changes at the Wallace river pullout and I'd like to make sure I've got the facts straight before contacting WSDOT to express concerns about eliminating all roadside parking in that corridor.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Projects/US2/SafetyImprovements/Guardrail.htm

http://www.skyvalleychronicle.com/FEATURE-NEWS/MORE-SAFETY-WORK-ON-U-S-HY-2-NEXT-WEEK-br-Between-Startup-Gold-Bar-585685
-Jay
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
GHannam
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote GHannam Replybullet Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 3:35pm
Thank you Jay for posting the two links. If information arises in the future and indicates that the normal playrun parking on the Sky will be affected, please post it. If that does happen, I'd be willing to help look into it and see if there's anything we can do, individually or as a community.

On a positive note, I am glad that Highway 2 is being improved-- it needs it!
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 9:41am

Steve,

I was pretty concerned about this when I first heard about it, and then saw the work being done.  So, I wrote WSDOT a brief email expressing my concern. 

Fortunately, somebody wrote me back about the issue, quoted: 

"The concrete barrier we recently installed is part of a larger safety
improvement project on US 2 between Monroe and Gold Bar. Our goal with
the project is to reduce the risk of serious collisions on US 2. Adding
barrier at this location should significantly lower the risk of
run-off-the-road collisions and collisions involving drivers entering or
leaving the highway. These types of collisions often result in serious
injuries, particularly on a high-speed stretch of roadway like this one.
You can learn more about the project on our website:
www.wsdot.wa.gov/projects/us2/safetyimprovements.

We know that it is inconvenient to lose the parking area on the south
side of the highway. Unfortunately, we do not have adequate space or
right of way nearby where we could provide a parking area with safe
access to and from US 2. Parking is available at the Wallace River Fish
Hatchery (14418 383rd Ave SE). We do not currently have plans to install
barrier along US 2 at milepost 33 near the Skykomish River."

So we can all breathe a sigh of relief for now.  The amazing thing is there was really very little heads up concerning the changes being made.  It is understandable why they did what has been done... but without any heads up or public input is questionable. 

Honestly though I don't see how installing guard rails is actually making the HWY any safer.  The closing access to pullouts does reduce potential for collisions, but guardrails for the sake of guardrails doesn't make HWY 2 inherently safer.  

Anyways, lets keep Split Rock open for generations to come by keeping it accident free if at all possible, as that seems to be the basis for DOT as to whether guardrails are needed or not. 

irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by huckin harms

Anyways, lets keep Split Rock open for generations to come by keeping it accident free if at all possible, as that seems to be the basis for DOT as to whether guardrails are needed or not.

No kidding Mike, it would really suck to lose that access.

On that note, and please forgive me if everyone is thinking that you already know this (which is what I probably would be thinking if I weren't the person writing this), let's just keep in mind and remind others that cars come around there a lot faster than it might seem sometimes.  I'm saying this as the person who did the absolute dumbest thing I've ever seen anyone do in a car, ever, at a point along Highway 2 that we all use a lot (I don't even want to say for sure exactly where in case some oficial person is reading this) and it was just by a miracle that no one was hurt - and that's the least dramatic way I can describe it.  Anyone who was there would agree.

I would maybe not have mentioned it except that a few weeks later I was in someone else's car and they did almost the same thing at that spot, except with about 30 more feet to spare, which at that speed is the minor difference between a near-disaster and just a stupid move.  (OK, I realize those two things are sometimes indistinguishable, but you get my drift.)

Anyway, not meaning to sound preachy, but I'd never done anything that completely stupid driving before, and I guess if I can do it someone else could too.  In the interests of keeping everyone safe and preserving our favorite spots I think it pays to be even more careful than we think we might need to be.

On the brighter side, seeing as I am now traumatized by my own bad driving, I'm actually pretty safe to run shuttle with now. ;)
It's all fun and games until someone loses a paddle.
arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 9:29pm
Irene,
I was there the day of your "incident" and actually thought of it when this was posted. And, of course, I do not want to lose access at Split Rock but there is no question that the current situation there is an accident waiting to happen.

Having pedestrians cross highway speed traffic, at a curve, with boats on one shoulder is dangerous. I know that I try to walk up the road on the river side of the highway for some ways before crossing so I can get a better view of the eastbound traffic. But, not everyone does this.

When returning from picking up cars after the run, having cars cross traffic there is dangerous as well - not to mention the u-turn to head back to Seattle.

I would view WSDOT's action at Wallace as a warning shot. We should be ready as a community with a proposal that would address their concerns - which, frankly, we share - but, have a proposal that meets our needs for access. I'm not sure what that is - but something along the lines of a parking area with a real turn-out/turn-around and along a straightaway with good sight lines. Or a button you can press that triggers a flashing light that alerts drivers to "boaters on the highway." I'm only suggesting these to get the creative juices flowing...

Additionally, in the mean time, we should also probably discuss/establish the safest way to use the existing pull-out.
arn9schaeffer@gmail.com (remove 9 for my real email address)
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 11:13pm

An accident waiting to happen is not synonomous with something needs to be done. Most of WSDOT's safety projects come from accident reports, and there are just not a lot of accidents due to the access points east of Big Eddy.

One accident because someone was tailgating will not close Split Rock down.

Kyle
I smell bacon
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 11:42am
Originally posted by irened

Anyway, not meaning to sound preachy...  In the interests of keeping everyone safe and preserving our favorite spots I think it pays to be even more careful than we think we might need to be.

Thanks for raising this issue again, Steve. And thanks to everyone else's input.
Arn, I like the way you think- good to have concientious folks like you on the river

Although I'll be the first to shoot down the flashing lights idea, it IS good to express the idea like you said- to get creative "juices flowin".

But I say we need to uphold our end of the bargain (as kayakers who use public access points along highways and roads) by watching our own behavior. Period.

Here's Dr. Pizzle's* Perscription for safe, efficient use of access points that will piss off the least amount of locals: if you're in a hurry just read the bold type...

- when you roll into the parking zone, you already know there will be more vehicles arriving behind you. don't be sloppy. Park your sh*t in a way that maximizes space for those who show up after you.

-since everyone who showed up before your tardy ass got outta bed because they read "Dr. Pizzles Perscription For safe Use Of Access Points" left you and your huge ass rig room to park, don't be sloppy. Park your sh*t so you don't block no one in.

-Minimize Dick Arouind Time. Dick Around Time: The ancient art of kayakers to cluster in one place, seemingly for hours on end like a nebulous cluster of blissy out, happy zombies, aimlessly occupied telling river lies or drinking beer, ect How bout the community takes it upon themselves as individuals adopting a LOAD/UNLOAD A.S.A.P. mentality.

-To support and reinforce the point above, STOP using Split to MEET other boaters! ok, you 21st century sophisticates: I appl;aud your technological wonders. So tell me why if you have all these modes of communication at your disposal you need to wait for peeps at split? Try to meet at the put in instead. Sure Split is a better Catch-All as folks drive up the highway, it's convenient ("there goes so and so"). But is it always necessary? Go up and get on the river- if you're putting on at Cable Drop, have your peeps meet you at the huge eddy at the Put -in. Me, I'd rather wait forever for people while I paddle around in the pool than wait and wait by the side of the road. Get on the river and wait there, and thereby get your priorities straight.

-ALWAYS put boats, paddles, and other gear down where it is out of the way. Never block roads, driveways, or parking spots by putting you boat down in the f**king way. When a local or an official comes driving along they should not have to pause while a bunch of you absent mindedly acknowledge that your boat is in the middle of the road. It makes us look hugely inconsiderate. If I was a local I'd want to shoot all that colorfall plastic with my gun, or run it over. fu*kin City Slickers!
  On the Gauley I was driving through the parking lot and this slalom boat was in my path- I rolled down my window and told the girl to move that sh*t. I don't care if she and her dad manufacture one of the most popular lines of boats on the water today- move your boat out of the wway that sh*t ain't cool. Don't block people's moves.

- Look Both Ways before you cross the street.

The bottom line is: Manage your behavior before someone steps in and does it for you. Americans have become such winers about their freedoms and how they hate rules being imposed upon them, I being one of the worst offenders. That's why it is important that we manage our own behavior and avoid these issues from popping up. we need to manage our behavior as a collective by adhering to such basic concepts.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
STLboater
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote STLboater Replybullet Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 1:33pm
MDAT
If you have MDAT problems, take care of them on the numerous playwaves that can be found bewteen put in and take out.  Common side effects include excitement, getting wet, disorientation and blurred vision.  If you remain exctied for more than 8 hours, you should contact your local doctor, or go for a second run.  But please, while organizing for the second run, MDAT.
Kayak Academy Whitewater Instructor
okeefe
Paddler
Paddler

Quote okeefe Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 9:36am
Bottom line is the site lines suck at just about every place that we would want access. I have spent hours with DOT, WDFW, USFS, and State Parks trying to find better solutions to access on Hwy 2 for the Sky. Best advice I can give is be really careful and be good stewards keeping in mind that our favorite spots are private property. We are continuing to explore options.
Thomas O'Keefe
PNW Stewardship Director
American Whitewater
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version