Professor Paddle: Snoqualmie II-II+ runs vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Snoqualmie II-II+ runs Post Reply Post New Topic
paulgf
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote paulgf Replybullet Topic: Snoqualmie II-II+ runs
    Posted: 03 May 2011 at 11:13pm
Hey folks,

I had two awesome trips last year ( Big Eddy and the Club Stretch ) last year, and this summer my "big goal" - Wenatchee.

But first I need to practice more, and looking for people to go to Snoqualmie ( may be Green if its still runnable ) for a few easy outings.

I  am free most of the time, so if you're up for it, let me know

Thanks !
Paul
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
jon!
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote jon! Replybullet Posted: 03 May 2011 at 11:45pm
Hi Paul, I would be up for that sometime next week.

Jon 425 367-1844
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2011 at 2:16am
There's all sorts of class II up the snoqualmie drainage. I reccomend exploring them as thouroghly as you can before moving up a class, if for no other reason than this:

once you taste enough class III and your skills are ready for more, chances are you may never want to run class II. happens to a lot of paddlers once they get "The Whitewater Bug" in their system. Try to savor the class II and early class III phase. It will pay dividends later. Don't get too enthralled with playboating stuff or boof strokes and that nonsense before you have a Forward Stroke that you can maintain in a refined manor for at least 100 strokes. The Forward Stroke is more important than even the eskimo roll- ask yourself which was developed first by our inuit forefathers.

Paul, you should keep me in mind. There's some class II up there I've yet to explore. Keep me posted if you want to hit this stuff up over the weekend- but I admit I'm not sure yet how my weekend is shaping up.
whatever you do don''t let anything stop you from gettin out as much as you can right now.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2011 at 8:05am
So JP, can you clarify, do you think a forward stroke is really all that important?

JUST kidding..:)  Couldn't help myself.  Great catching up with you last weekend.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a paddle.
mokelumnekid
McNasty
McNasty

Quote mokelumnekid Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2011 at 10:53am
South Fk. Sky from Beckler Bridge to Money Ck. is a favorite class II of the UKC for intro work, goes right through the town. Scenic too, tho a bit longer drive, with a fast splashy rapid at the finish that flips a lot of noobs but ends in a big recovery pool at the take out. Short shuttle and easy access; could do laps. Upper Middle Sno. (say Concrete Bridge to  Middle Middle put-in) also has a great class II-II+ "classroom" with a chance to practice ferrying/eddying into strong jets with some strong eddy lines, practice rolling in waves, practice going right into boulders and eddy hopping, etc., river reading where the river is not uber-pushy but there are a lot of features to do laps on.
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2011 at 12:03pm

When I was starting out I found it helpful to watch a couple of videos on paddling basics.  I think Ken Whiting's, "Strokes and Concepts" was pretty good.  EJ might have put out a similar product.

Great idea re: the concrete bridge to MM take-in; that's a great stretch for a beginner.
“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
mokelumnekid
McNasty
McNasty

Quote mokelumnekid Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2011 at 1:09pm
Good point on the videos- I think I've seen all of them- as something of a noob myself I have found "The Kayak Roll" by Mary and Phil DeRiemer to be outstanding. Can't say enough good things about it (stuff for teachers too). My second favorite has nothing about rolling, all about dynamic technique, is hard to find here in the USA, "Gene17's Genotype 2 DVD, the Fundamental Core," by Simon Westgarth. Some clips on YouTube, but I had to order it from England. Outstanding video IMHO.

The best intro book I found to be, "Whitewater Kayaking, The Ultimate Guide," by Ken Whiting, 2'd edition.

After that I've gotten lots of good advice from the good folks here at PP.
mokelumnekid
McNasty
McNasty

Quote mokelumnekid Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2011 at 10:49pm
Paul- how's your roll?
paulgf
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote paulgf Replybullet Posted: 05 May 2011 at 9:09am
I got my roll down last year in swimming pool, and this year I practiced a couple times out in Puget Sound wearing my drysuit, pfd,helmet...and it was ok...but I'm still kind of worried about using it in a rapid 
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 06 May 2011 at 8:18am
Paul, there's an open pool session in Juanita (Kirkland) tonight if you want to practice your roll in warm water again before heading out to the rivers, here's the link:

SYOTR!
It's all fun and games until someone loses a paddle.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version