Professor Paddle: Newb checking in! Questions..... vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Newb checking in! Questions..... Post Reply Post New Topic
Soreye
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Soreye Replybullet Topic: Newb checking in! Questions.....
    Posted: 12 May 2011 at 9:48am
Greetings all. Sort of new to this sport. Quick back story: Been out a couple times many years ago on friends boats, had  a blast. Recently bought a house on a small lake (lake stickney) and have been itching to get a kayak. Ended up getting a free Jackson Mega Rocker last week, and even though I've just been dinking around on boring lakes, I'm loving it. Want to start getting into some light river runs.

Thanks to this forum, I found a Pool session (Juanitia HS) that I plan on attending soon to practice rolls and perhaps learn some techniques from others before I go out. Ordered a spray skirt and some other misc gear so hopefully I can hit a river soon.

I see some posts where you guys meet up after work/weekends, however I didnt see any sissy runs that would be ideal for a first timer.

If anyone is interested in a Class I/II run and perhaps showing me the ropes I would be most obliged - if anything just for fun. Always love hearing advice/tips from you regulars that a newb such as myself can learn from.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2011 at 9:56am
Nomad
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2011 at 10:03am
Soreye,

Awesome to hear that your getting all jazzed up. The real beginner runs don't get posted to much, and to be real honest your going to have to do the leg work to get folks out there with you. Here are a few suggestions.

First try and stay away from even super easy runs that don't have clear nice banks. If you do flip over you don't want to have to wrestle through blackberries or other stuff to get your boat out etc..

Rivers that I would recommend. The lower Cedar River for sure. Check out the stretch from the Renton Carco Theater/water park down to lake washington. That is super calm and easy to get out from any place, not to mention close to town. Another one of course is the lower skykomish.

If your keen on meeting alot of people come out to the Ball in two weeks. Loads of solid boaters and even going down the river in a raft is going to help build the stoke and understanding of whitewater features and river reading. As a bonus often times a group will do a fun float in leavenworth which is a great stretch to learn on class I - III of course you can easily cut out the class III and make it shorter for just the I-II stuff.

Just Ideas, welcome and remember don't loose steam as you learn your roll, it all takes time, and is a blast no matter where your at!!!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Soreye
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Soreye Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2011 at 11:12am
Thanks for the info! Did some searching, and the lower Skykomish looks pretty ideal, not to mention fairly close.

Do you have any information (or a link) to this Ball you speak of? I may be out of town for work but would like to try and make it.
BrianP
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BrianP Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2011 at 11:45am
218 290 1834 give me a call/text or PM when you've got all your gear and are ready to get out on the river.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2011 at 11:51am
Soreye - Check out the Big Huge link on the home page or here Ball Page
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2011 at 11:55am
The Ball link is here - http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10544.  I second the WKC (Washington Kayak Club) recommendation, that is how I got from II to comfortable on IIIs, and from there you'll find more runs on this site.

Professor Paddlers are super welcoming to newbies and I'm sure you'll find people to help you here too, but getting new boaters going is one of the main things the WKC does, they are totally set up to get people started on Class II runs and move up from there, there are a ton of beginner runs happening all the time, some posted on their site http://www.washingtonkayakclub.org/, but even more on informal email lists you'll get on if you join - you can find a paddle happening any week throughout the whole year.  And they expect to have beginners who might swim so it's not a big deal if you do.

Either way, congrats on getting out there, SYOTR!
It's all fun and games until someone loses a paddle.
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2011 at 11:56am

Oops, James's link is the right one.

It's all fun and games until someone loses a paddle.
warlickone
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote warlickone Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2011 at 12:00pm
Ditto for me...828-337-4508...boating is mainly learned by doing and all you need is some company. Good boat to learn in and stay in, that rocker. Part of getting off to a good start is good early gear selection. There is a lot of variety on the market when you shop around, but there are some general standard items that many/most folks use. If you need any opinions or advice on gear selection, give me a call.

Jim

Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2011 at 12:33pm
Soreye - if you are looking to add some formalized instruction as well, both the Washington Kayak Club and Northwest Outdoor Center (NWOC) offer beginner classes that I have heard are pretty good. 

I think NWOC may have more classes on regular intervals than the WKC.  The WKC link is in a previous post, but here is the link to NWOC: http://www.nwoc.com/classes/wwclass.asp?page=classes

Great time to be getting started.

Doing the flatwater practice on the lake is great.  Flatwater is great not only for practicing rolls, but also for working on the strokes and draws that you need on the river.  Check out the DVD's from Ken Whiting or Eric Jackson.  Each has a breakdown of the basic skills and gives you flatwater drills that you can work on in the lake.  You can also scope Youtube for instructional videos, but I'd throw down for the DVD instead.

“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
Courtney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Whitewater,sea kayaking, snowboarding, backpacking.

Quote Courtney Replybullet Posted: 13 May 2011 at 8:39am
Soreye,
We've been taking my son on the easier rivers so you're welcome to come along.  We'll be doing the Sultan again pretty soon and a short stretch of the Sky (both class I/II).  I'll put it out on PP when we go since there's several people that might like to join us. 
Courtney
Soreye
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Soreye Replybullet Posted: 13 May 2011 at 9:34am
Thanks all for the great info. Got my spray skirt ordered yesterday. I think all thats left is a helmet, and  a waterproof bag for emergency equip. How crucial is a whitewater-specific lifejacket at this juncture in time for me? I have lifejackets but they are not whitewater specific. Would love reccommendations on a helmet if you have one. This may be a shot in the dark, but it would be nice to find a helmet that works great for both snow ski and kayak - not sure if such a product exits or if there is even much difference between the two.

And thank you Jim / Brian / Courtney - I just may take you up on your offer in a couple weeks.

Gonna check out the NWOC / WKC right now and see what they have.
Soreye
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Soreye Replybullet Posted: 13 May 2011 at 9:54am
Also, another question (I'm just full of em!): Tonight I'd like to attend a pool session to practice rolls, however my spray skirt hasnt arrived yet. Does it make sense to go without the spray skirt? I'm not sure if I roll over, that I'll just be scooping up tons of water on the way out. Since I have a few business trips in the near future, tonight is really the only night I'll be able to go to the pool session so I dont want to miss out - but I also don't want to waste my time if my roll practice efforts are in vain.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 13 May 2011 at 9:59am
Soreye, There is a company called Sweet that makes helmets for both ski and whitewater they are very similar but there are differences. You can use them for both however whitewater helmets are designed with floatation and impact in mind not to mention paddling that is not focused on being warm as much as capable for drainage. That means that your going to find plenty of helmets that are usable for both but no helmets that are the same model for both.

I would check out Predator Helmets too, the Lee and the Shiznit are both models of helmets that will be in the raffle this year and they are great designs also. As for Dry Bags and other gear, you should really come out to the Ball, not only is all this stuff going to be raffled, given for free and of course won, but you can check out alot of designs while your at it!

Off Topic: I have a Sweet Helmet, a Grateful Heads and a Predator. The predator is more similar to a skate/bike helmet, the Grateful Heads is most similar to a Motorcycle style skull cap, and the Sweet resembles more of a DH MTB helmet / Ski helmet. I know folks that use these helmets for a wide array of sports.

dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 13 May 2011 at 10:02am
Nomad
James
Admin
Admin