Professor Paddle: Earplugs on the river? bad idea? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Earplugs on the river? bad idea? Post Reply Post New Topic
not-very-clever
Super Looper
Super Looper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote not-very-clever Replybullet Topic: Earplugs on the river? bad idea?
    Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 6:48pm
I recently got some custom molded earplugs for work and I have been wearing them on the river to keep water out of my ears.  They are awesome, they seem to keep my ears warmer too. 

I was wondering what some opinions are about wearing earplugs, whitewater is soo loud that it is hard to hear anything anyways .

Anywho, it could present some safety concerns about not being able to hear my paddling partners, or a raft hauling downstream, or a jet boat coming upstream.

I can still hear okay, but things are definately muffled.  At least I am not wearing head phones listening to music. (but that does sound like fun)

noseplugs were a phase that i grew out of, but I think that earplugs might be a permenant thing for me. do other people use them?
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 8:19pm
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 10:58pm
Same here.  Always wear them when in the playboat, never in the creekboat.
olyyakker
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote olyyakker Replybullet Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 5:25am
DOC earplugs are the BOMB! I wear the vented ones SCUBA diving and whenever kayaking. You can hear perfectly well and they will prevent you from having that painful surgery where they peel back your ear and have to drill out the calcium buildup in your external auditory canal.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
scottrichardson
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote scottrichardson Replybullet Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 9:04am
Doc's Proplugs. I use them because water in my ears can make me dizzy. Plus, I don't want that same surgery everyone keeps mentioning. The vented ones let plenty of sound in so I use them all the time as opposed to not when creeking.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 9:42am
Double Bubble Gum , Don't chew it too long though or it becomes less sticky. I like to chew it for a minute or two and then stuff it in. Your going to need two pieces though. The added bonus is that when your done you can take them out and keep on chewin.
fiddleyak
McNasty
McNasty

Quote fiddleyak Replybullet Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 10:04am
Putting in my earplugs is as routine as pulling on my sprayskirt. I wear the non-vented poke-in kind that you can get at any drugstore.
Years of paddling cold water without earplugs has left me with bad hearing and recurrent ear problems. I urge everyone to take these precautions.
I still have not gotten a definitive answer on the dangers of wearing non-vented earplugs. I've never had a problem, the plugs seem to just pop out rather that pressurizing my ear canal when I go deep off a waterfall.
ChristianKnight
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote ChristianKnight Replybullet Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 10:39am
I'm right there with Ben. After training at freestyle through the fall, winter and early spring down in Eugene, I developed pretty dramatic exostosis in both ears. (I'm sure I had been developing them for some time, but I think those seven months of playboating five days a week accelerated the process).
And like Ben, I don't buy the $15 pair of Docs. I just go to the drug store and buy a four pair of silicon plugs for $3 or $4. I feel I can hear everything just fine with them in, since people are usually yelling above the roar of the whitewater anyway.
A while back, I wrote an article on a med student who was touring around the country, checking paddler's ears. He concluded that most paddlers have some form of exostosis in their ears. (Exostosis are bony growths. In this thread, Brett Barton referred to them as calcium deposits. They are, in fact, bony growths).
Exostoses are bad for two reasons: 1.) if you don't prevent them, eventually, they'll cover your entire ear canal and 2.) they trap water in your ear, which can get infected.
For that article I mentioned, I interviewed Clay Wright who had exostoses in both ears. At one point, he got water stuck in his ear and couldn't get it out.
Eventually, his ear got so infected that it burst his ear drum, which he said caused vertigo and severe pain. He ended up flying to California, where a surgeon chiseled out the bony growths in both ears. This doctor's entire business was based on this surgery, which he performs regularly on surfers.
Now, Clay wears ear plug, a swim cap and skull cap, while kayaking. Even in the summer.
He is paranoid, he said.
Catch your eddies,
Christian
up4air
McNasty
McNasty

Quote up4air Replybullet Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 1:29pm
Those silicon ones are also good for when certain individuals feel the need to bless everyone with their "singing" into the mic from sometime past 1am til it starts to get light. Oh wait. I was wearing earplugs and it was still loud.

I have it too (the bone growths) from surfing in cold water. Sometimes having earplugs affects balance more than anything, but my helmet also keeps my ears pretty warm because it covers that area. NVC what style helmet do you use?
More water, please.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by up4air

when certain individuals feel the need to bless everyone with their "singing" into the mic from sometime past 1am til it starts to get light.

All I can say is, had I been there an hour before that all started I would have made sure it never happened. Unfortunately I showed up a bit too late and was unable to prevent such a display of vocal talent.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 3:15pm
I've only been wearing them since '08. My exostosis is pretty advanced. Can't find a pair of Doc's that fits well- water finds its way in and the plugs trap it.

Tried adding swim cap and skull cap but its just too much sh*t to wear. Add elbow pads, and the plugs seem like the gear that broke this camel's back. This is becoming a disincentive to playboat much.

Yes its true I have always had a loud voice, and river-communications have helped shaped that, but I'm also losing my hearing a little, which is partly why I seem to have little "volume control". Can't afford to break out the power drill and shove it these ears, and don't want to anyway. Just gonna try to ride it out, shouldn't be much longer anyway.

This winter I needed a cheap alternative to a drysuit. $20 and the right timing hooked me up with a hooded wetsuit. That thing is WAY better than earplugs- it takes an extraordinary douche to get water in there with this wetsuit on. I'd like to find a stand alone hood that would do the same thing but be interchangeable with whatever I wanna wear.

Jet boats coming upstream? You oughtta hear that and see it. Rafts from behind? Every paddled should cultivate Eyes In The Back Of Their Heads. If rafts sneak up on you it means your awareness needs to broaden. You don't need ears for that.

Hearing Beta? Well that is important. You can take then out momentarily in an eddy.

Tried the gum, but when I landed big bro flat one time, I blew bubbles out of my ears and all the Portland boaters laughed at me.
Now Bubilicious wants to sponsor me but I told them to fu*k off. I'm more of a Slim Jim kinda guy. Or Cheetos. If Chester Cheetah wants to sponsor me, I'm "all ears". Stick them in there and the water will stay out. Your ears will have an Orange stain, however.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
iron monkey
Paddler
Paddler

Quote iron monkey Replybullet Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 11:05pm
not-very-clever
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote not-very-clever Replybullet Posted: 05 Jun 2011 at 12:15pm

my most popular thread, maybe i will be moving out of the viener schnitzel catagory soon

Blair
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Blair Replybullet Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 4:21am
JP man, that post was awesome!
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version