Professor Paddle: knives vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: knives Post Reply Post New Topic
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Scott_H Replybullet Topic: knives
    Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 3:00pm

From what I have read on some other boards (not as cool as this one BTW), this topic appears to have no clear answer…..so why not bring it here and liven things up a bit on a quiet Thursday afternoon (couldn't see a previous thread).

So:

Fixed blade knife attached to the outside of the pfd? 

Or folding knife in the pocket?

I, thankfully, have had no experience needing one in a pinch.  Thoughts?

“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 3:10pm

6 of one, half dozen of the other. Do what ever works well for you.

Kyle

I smell bacon
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 3:14pm

Yes - it does appear that the discussions can take a near religous fervor about them.

But I will say the British kayaking forum was a hoot to read on the subject:

"a bit daft to attach it there"

"Getting your knickers in a knot"

“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 4:49pm
I say folding in pocket.

I used to have a knife on my PFD and it always got in the way, I have had it get caught up on stuff and more importantly I have seen other peoples knifes fall out (even in a raft !!) I have yet to see a knife be used in a situation where pocket vs pfd would make a difference. Sure I have heard stories, and I know of plenty of people that know of plenty of people that knew someone that almost died but lived another day because they could cut their skirt off while they were being held underwater.. I for one use my knife more frequently for opening cans, cutting the cheese, and the occasional dicing of onion, so I prefer that my snacks stay stowed and knife be positioned in my pocket.
ryanshaffer
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote ryanshaffer Replybullet Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 9:54pm
I agree with folding knife in the pocket. 

I had a fixed knife on the front and actually popped it off by means of surfing and getting my paddle in between the pfd and knife in the heat of things.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Dale
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Dale Replybullet Posted: 17 Jun 2011 at 11:11am
I keep trauma shears on the outside of my pfd, a folding knife in my pfd pocket and most of the firearms in drybags or pelican boxes inside the boat.
Kiwi
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Kiwi Replybullet Posted: 19 Jun 2011 at 1:20am
Originally posted by James

I say folding in pocket.

I used to have a knife on my PFD and it always got in the way, I have
had it get caught up on stuff and more importantly I have seen other
peoples knifes fall out (even in a raft !!) I have yet to see a knife be
used in a situation where pocket vs pfd would make a difference. Sure I
have heard stories, and I know of plenty of people that know of plenty
of people that knew someone that almost died but lived another day
because they could cut their skirt off while they were being held
underwater.. I for one use my knife more frequently for opening cans,
cutting the cheese, and the occasional dicing of onion, so I prefer that my
snacks stay stowed and knife be positioned in my pocket.

I thought this exact thing until I almost drowned on Hoffstadt. The back of my sprayskirt became hooked on a rock in a small ledge. I was stuck for 5-6 minutes breathing in a small airpocket and getting my life force sucked out of me by the water. My buddy had to jump the creek and lower down to me on a sketchy tied off rotten log twice. If he hadn't gotten to me when he did I wouldn't be alive today. I had a folding knife in my lifejacket pocket. I spent most of those 6 minutes trying to get at my knife to cut my skirt down the front and slip out of it. Could not reach it at all, The water was so strong I had to use my arms to keep myself up enough for the airpocket. Plus after about two minutes I had lost all dexterity in my fingers. Knife on the PFD, you might never need it, but if you do it could save your life.
BIGWATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BIGWATER Replybullet Posted: 19 Jun 2011 at 10:49pm

kiwi is right on the mark .... i was there .... hands down knife on the jacket is better then a folding POS..... the fact that this is even a question and that people r maken jokes on this tread about cutting the cheese is truly scary and will probably lead to a tragic death eventualy ..... bottom line is folding knife is 3 steps ... 1  unzip pocket (if you can, kiwi never got that far)... 2 pull out knife and not drop it .....   3 open and lock the knife ..... thats all good spreading you r PBandJ  ..... me ill take one step ....  pull knife and cut ... g'luck maken yer lunch hope ya never need your knifes for real

dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 11:12pm
OMG, simple answer. Buy a good river knife and keep it on the PFD. Non-folding and mounted on the Knife mount on the pfd. That is why they put a knife mount on the pfd...for a knife. My knifes, and I have had a few, have saved me more than once. It also doubles as a tool that can be used in many different ways.
My knife has never got in the way, as a matter of fact I use it all the time as a sprayskirt holder when I walk around. People say "why do you have a knife?" I say you dont need one until your life depends on it, then you need one.
Nomad
PanchosPigTaxi
Paddler
Paddler

Quote PanchosPigTaxi Replybullet Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 12:02am
I've always seen knifes fall off of PFDs, especially some of the gerber knifes. However I've had the NRS pilot knife for more than a year of rafting and kayaking and it hasn't ever fallen off (its got a good latch system). I've seen people put a little zip tie on some knifes to hold the knife on which can be fairly easily broken off with a tug on the knife. Occasionally the knife will get in the way when I'm rowing, but its not a big deal. I'd suggest the co-pilot, its a bit shorter. When paddlers in my raft ask why I have a knife attached to my chest I tell them its to prevent mutinies! I can definitely see the value of having a knife on hand rather than having to fiddle around trying to get it out of your pocket, unfolding it and maybe dropping it in an emergency.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 7:37am
Bigwater: It's fine that you have a different view, I was not trying to attack you or anyone else. I really do use my knife for cutting cheese, making lunch and more critical medical/repair purposes. Don't get so personal.

Even having a knife on your pfd does not mean that event could not end the same way. And those dangerous 3 steps well..  You would just eliminate one step, reaching in the pocket. Still gotta hold onto it and opening a knife one handed is something I find pretty easy.

The sport has inherent risks and acceptance of certain levels/degrees of risk. I have seen enough injuries - stitches etc..  and not enough actual examples of when it would make a difference to prefer that route for myself.
BIGWATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BIGWATER Replybullet Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 7:00pm
james no hard feelings .... but this is no jokeing mater .... all boaters should have a PFD mounted knife.... as far as never seeing it make a diffrence im glad you have been so lucky ........just cuz you never personaly seen someone fly through the windsheild of a car means you dont have to wear a seat belt? ........and if you think opening a knife one handed under water is heavy curent is easy , well  you got some crazy hands ....  PFD mounted knife is a must have safety item that hopefully you will never use and never seen used .... i personaly cary both knives now , folding and PFD mount
BIGWATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BIGWATER Replybullet Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 7:05pm
oh .. i gave up on river knives ... i got a scuba knife, its great and has a nice lock on the sheath thats easy to pull ... that gerber river shorty knife always falls out and like pancho said it needs a small zip tie to keep it in
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 12:32pm
I don't argue the purpose of having a knife mounted on the PFD and would agree that it should be a mandatory piece of equipment you carry in some form. My issue is that I have worn them in various places on various vests and the incumbrance that I have found added with the issues I have encountered from injury's and damage caused leads me to personally prefer to store the knife in a pocket. Again each person might have a different preference and accept a different amount of risk to maintain that placement. I will share the specifics since that is more or less what this thread is about. Personal opinions and the basis for them. Ignore the rest of this post if you don't like the opinion.

I remember when my knife came off my pfd and went into my pocket.  It was about 3 seasons ago, first I was on a multiday down in OR where someones well placed knife popped out whilst bouncing around in a raft and ended up cutting into the floor of the boat. It took a few hours to repair and dry but I figured hey accidents happen, much like bigwater pointed out, I would rather have accidents and be prepared for something much worse. Then just a month or two later on a different creek I watched someone swim with a knife that I personally thought was way to large (different subject) the skirt grab loop got tangled up on the knife and what should have been a quick swim turned into an epic
mid river rescue resulting in a shoulder dislocation. I was pretty baffled how it happened, (Like how do you get the beans above the frank) but none the less there we were. I was still sporting my little blade on my pfd, just thinking more about the dangers of it, as I had never really considered it until that time. Then one month later I watched someone in canada slip on a portage yank the knife out of the pfd and take a nice 3-4 inch long laceration in the thigh that resulted in stitches later on. That night I took my knife off my PFD.

For me it was the question of what circumstances call for that knife to be ready to go on the pfd. My thoughts were, entrapment on a river due to ropes, perhaps a skirt although cutting through a skirt is not as easy as it might appear with a knife especially around the tunnel area. I recalled back to military days when we secured our gear based on use and possible scenarios and I remembered practicing cutting a line under load upside down with a straight blade vs line hook which is why we had a special knife for it. http://parachuteshop.com/MC1_pa1.jpg

After actually testing these scenarios I have come to believe the best possible way to be prepared is to have an auto opening MC1 with a line hook stowed in your pocket. The actual benefit of a line hook is second to none on the river. <-- period - Line hooks come in various shapes sizes and purposes. Do not get them confused. Here are examples that I can tell you do not work and do work.

True Line Hook pictured below.

Small Line / Mono Hook

These smaller hooks are actually useless. I will elaborate.
Cutting through rope (most throw bag sizes) Unless underload will require significant force and motion, The line hooks on the above knives will not even completely surround a throw rope of any size. That means you will have to work on it from multiple angles and strokes, whearas the full size line hook will in one sweep slice through anything up to .64 (16mm) or a bit over 5/8 which is way bigger than any throwrope.

Second and honestly foremost. Try to visualize what I am explaining here. This is key. Close your eyes and ... no wait you will need to read this then close your eyes. Imagine you need to cut the tunnel of your skirt off starting near your chest between your teets working down toward the cockpit. With the second knifes (and almost all river knives on the market) you would be required to either have the blade facing your torso or work the blade inside between you and the skirt downward which offer little force and no room to work. Now enter a full sized line hook. You can simply hook that puppy onto anything and unzip downward with max force and little danger since the cutting edge is concealed behind a blunt tip.

I prefer my MC1 because of the blade option and functionality. If you want a PFD mounted option I would highly recommend one of the following options. These will not replace the complete function of a knife but the rescue features of these tools render a normal river knife obsolete in the cases mentioned here.

http://www.outdoorpros.com/Prod/Benchmade-5BLKW-5-Rescue-Hook-Black-Oxide-Soft-Sheath/8211/Cat/84

http://www.outdoorpros.com/Prod/Columbia-River-Knife-Tool-2051K-Extrik-8-R-Seatbelt-Cutter-Multi-tool-Kydex-Sheath-Black/13436/Cat/84

http://www.outdoorpros.com/Prod/Buck-Knives-0695SSGTP-B-TOPS-BUCK-F-D-X-Cutter-Stainless-Steel/72543/Cat/84

http://www.outdoorpros.com/Prod/Kershaw-520OR-Zipit-Orange-Rubber-Insert-Finger-Hole-Plain/60473/Cat/84

And as if this were not the longest over written post. Let me leave you with this. Did you know that the Military will replaces your MC1 if you have been forced to use it in an emergency. The Interior of that hook is scalpel sharp and even a few uses will make it more dull. The blade on the hook is something that should be directly correlated to it's true safety functionality.
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 3:18pm
I'm just going to chime in here cause I find it irresistable. 

I haven't carried a knife on my person or pfd in at least 5 years.  It's almost comical to hear/read of the 'scary' reasons for keeping it handy on the pfd.  Don't get me wrong... I do have a knife... just burried in the bag with bitchathene, pulleys, and prussics. 

And I'm not the only one who's breaking the code here.  I know of several very active class V paddlers who do not carry knives.  They might throw them on occasion but never wear 'em. 

Now I realize this is going to rub the thread in the wrong direction, partly why I couldn't resist.  And maybe I am now truly in danger.  One day that one time in a million, and damn I didn't bring a knife.  Maybe it's not me in danger, rather my comrade in arms.  So I will review this no-carry knife policy, given the potential for the increased likelyhood of needing it having carried on this way inspite of aforementioned warnings. 

Just adding...

huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 3:35pm
that took no time at all... thanks Brian!  hopefully it won't be you or anyone else for that matter. 

Accept my apology in advance for making it sound like I thought it was comedy that someone almost drown due to the lack of having access to a knife.  That wasn't my intent... just so it doesn't become misconstrued in advance, as I can see how that could be 'read' into what I wrote.  My bad....
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 3:36pm
i just thought I would remind folks that I wrote a very nice and informative post above.
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 3:46pm
James - it was a good post.  The question of "why you need a knife" was a good one - if its primarily rope cutting and skirt cutting, those oval knives you linked look pretty good for the task and are small enough to be out of the way. 

I pulled the Gerber River Shorty off my pfd (Astral Green Jacket) because it would occasionally hook up with my paddle.  So, I have a folding knife in the interim while I was trying to figure out what to do next.  Had ordered the NRS co-pilot because its shorter, but still musing.

Its great to have folks chime in on both sides.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 4:02pm
@Slickhorn : I would like to note that I use the MC1 specifically because it offers one of the larger line hooks whilst also providing a handy blade for cutting my cheese. Again I am not making light, the use of a knife, I just find that the rescue purpose requires a line hook but I use my knife more than anything for snacking at the rivers edge so I have convienently selected a model which will support both of my needs for safety and downriver gormandization.
BIGWATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BIGWATER Replybullet Posted: 24 Jun 2011 at 4:32pm
james great post ... i ordered a hook knife to add to my PFD ... ill be like a river ninja with so many blades on me .... all i need now is some throwing stars

and harms .. wow ... i think you blew your river karma with that post, i would get a knife ASAP... as far as "scary" goes , watching your buddy struglel and rag-doll underwater while entraped on his spray skirt and eventualy go limp as you desperatly try to reach him is my defenition of scary and there is nothing comical about it ... i have been kayaking for 17 years and i finaly saw the one in a million ....it CAN happen
Ronin
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Ronin Replybullet Posted: 25 Jun 2011 at 9:31pm
if you ever take your knife into the ocean, I highly recommend the Spyderco knives that are designed not to rust.  http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/list.php?blade=H-1
warlickone
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote warlickone Replybullet Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 11:30pm
I'm still mourning the death of an old friend that drowned a couple of months ago. He died when his skirt snagged on a piece of wood at river level. Like Kiwi's story.

Unfortunately he was solo and apparently couldn't free himself. He was found snagged on a stick by his skirt, head under water, feet in the air. Don Smith. North Fork Blackwater, WV. I wish a knife had freed him.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version