Professor Paddle: Debate? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Chit Chat
 Professor Paddle : General : Chit Chat
Message Icon Topic: Debate? Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 3 Next >>
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 12:45am
But straight up what really gets me about religious people are these next few points:

1) sorry to rip on christianity here, and those christians I know among the paddling community are exceptions to this, but the tendency for Christians to evangelize an proselytize is a real bummer. Half the time all these foljs do is suceed in turning me off from their message.

2) it is a bummer that most religious people can't take a step towards common ground after you've clearly taken a step towards them. Sorry, but I find "God" in and on the river. Yet since most christians don't know the river, and since I don't go sit in their churches, they usually find a way to act all offended or uppity if I make any connection. But as cheesy as the whole "praise jesus" thing was in that freaky Blair-Witch-Project-style Sunset Falls video, in a way, I can see "God" in the works. But just as the notion of "God" being a "he" and essentially being a giant wearing a robe with a white beard is an absurd one, so is the idea that "he" needs to consciously intervene in order for "his" "miracle" to be felt, experienced, or known of. All such notions and words and imagery cheapens the whole Idea of "God" with a capital G. The whole pronoun thing is as absurd to me as Santa Clause or Cap'n Crunch.
The Tao that can be named is not the eternal Tao, and neither is Tao Berman, though he is definitely one of the best paddlers who has ever lived and a very dedicated and disciplined human. But I digress...

3) can't get into this discussion without picking on the Jews who defend the Jews in power who persecute another people much the same way they were themselves persecuted by the Germans. WTF? what good is their own religion if they overlook the badic fact that they are doing the same thing to the palestinians that Hitler did to them?

The bottom line is this: if yiur dogma is getting in the way of finding common ground and peace with other humans, something is obviously wrong.

i will say though that I've been inspired by people of all sorts of religious stripes who are very spirited, conscious people. Some of them frequent this site. Usually these folks tend to be of more modest means, and they are a bit more connected to the human condition as a result. Money and power skew all sorts of peeps' morals, and then, well, those are often the folks who give organized religion a bad rap.

Getting back to the Agnostic thing, yeah it may be a bit vaguely defined as far as a moral tether goes, but I guess I see a universality to different peeps' beliefs, and respect their right to make up their own minds. I just wish that was reciprocated more. Afterall, there's too many of us and we're gonna see different colored hats. Might as well coexist as peacefully as we can.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 12:52am
Oh yeah- last post. Past my bed time now...

Science. Its sad to me that so many ignorant and/or power hungry peeps gotta cling so tight to scripture when scientific method has a pretty good track record for learning new sh*t. I don't see why religious folks gotta be so threatened by science. The world is round and it is waayyy older than 6 thousand years. But that doesn't in my opinion devalidate a religious belief system, or at least it shouldn't.
I dunno- most of this is just common sense.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 1:20am
H2O please
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 1:40am
Now we're getting somewhere! 

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis+1&version=NIV

You say some Christians deny "science." Read the first paragraphs of the Bible, and see that the story of evolution may be contained therein...  (How long is a "day" to God?)

The world started off shapeless and dark, night and day (formation of a planet?), life came out of water... then creatures (could be dinosaurs, funny that winged birds are mentioned and modern scientists believe that dinosaurs evolved into birds)... then eventually came man...  Sounds like the big bang and evolution to me!

Read it comparing it to your view of evolution and realize this was 100% written before many people realized the world wasn't flat!  That alone should surprise some, sure it's not exactly spelled out but the similarities are uncanny.  This discovery really helped me.

I think a God that could make a "big bang" and know that eventually we would all be here having this discussion is more awesome than one that just snapped his fingers like many  people who haven't read this paragraph may think...

I think the very first 9 paragraphs of the Bible are worth reading for folks who think that science and Christianity collide.  It's funny that I haven't really seen what I have just said here written anywhere else?
H2O please
justin
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote justin Replybullet Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 8:28am
Just as I stated before that God isn't exclusive to morality.  I don't believe that religion is exclusive to spirituality.
franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Quote franzhorner Replybullet Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 11:11am
I would also like to say that I have many a friend and family who are Christians all the way.  I was raised going to church every Sunday until I went to college.  Just because I don't put all my stock in one religion anymore and I don't like what Christians do sometimes, it doesn't mean I don't respect the religion and the most of the people into it...

but...

My biggest problem is the legislation of Christian moral codes on the whole of society.  The example that disturbs me the most is the gay marriage debate.  Its as if Christian folks want the government to confirm what their god already supposedly tells them.  Why do Christians need the government to categorize their straight marriages as more moral than a homosexual union?  They get so hung up on the word!  No one is saying you have to have gay folks be allowed to marry in your church.  You can still tell gay folks that they aren't welcome in your church.   You can still have a church that doesn't recognize gay marriages.  Its as if its not enough that homosexuals should burn in the fires of hell for evermore...no...people of the church are doing God's judgment here in his name.  What's it to you if Sam and Joe have a union that is recogonized by the state?  What the right doesn't understand is if you call a straight union one thing and a homosexual union something different there are all kinds of ways to make the state's treatment of that union different.  Some folks on the right believe that their union should be held in a higher light by both God AND the government, yet these folks are usually the ones crying about getting the government out of their lives.  In this case they want the government to protect their belief that they are MORE MORAL in their straight unions.  I contend that the government should not recognize ANY marriages, just unions.
MORE RAIN PLEASE
franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Quote franzhorner Replybullet Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 11:12am
Way to go everybody.  A civil and decent discussion.  The links are great and I like other people's perspectives!!  
MORE RAIN PLEASE
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 11:42am
Horner here is where I agree with you, but my agreement will not be satisfying.

I agree that the church should not dictate what the government does as long as the populus is not within the church! At a time this country was made up of a majority of churched folks, so understandably the church's views were broadcast into the legal system through a common "moral code". Heck most of the folks that founded this country were protestant reformers so they knew all about the need for people to have the right to live how they wanted outside the rule of the government which is why it was founded the way it was.

Here is the part you might not want to agree with me on. Some countries don't want a well versed populous, they would rather have the countries ideals secured through a common practiced religion. How can we consider them wrong and oppose them for it. We allow our majority to determine morality so why can't we let other people do the same thing?
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 11:44am
I still think were getting off the better discussion here. Less philosophy and more meat and potatoes.
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 25 Sep 2011 at 2:08pm
RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS!
It is fine to have one.
It is fine to be proud of it.
Please do not whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE do do not try to shove it down my throat.
Sure?
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 25 Sep 2011 at 5:12pm
Nice one liner...

Who exactly did that on a thread labeled "debate" that prompted you to post that?

I feel that a lot of people that label themselves at "tolerant" are anything but...  I haven't seen a lot of tolerance to Christians in this discussion either.  The only reason I entered this discussion was because Christians were being singled out and put down.

H2O please
PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 25 Sep 2011 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by Travisimo

Nice one liner...

Who exactly did that on a thread labeled "debate" that prompted you to post that?

I feel that a lot of people that label themselves at "tolerant" are anything but...  I haven't seen a lot of tolerance to Christians in this discussion either.  The only reason I entered this discussion was because Christians were being singled out and put down.

Where is the intolerance to Christians in this thread, for that matter where is it being put down in this thread?...please be specific.

If it's being singled out in a discussion on religion, it might be because it's by far the most practiced religion in this country.  I'd be commenting on that crazy ass religion that worships allah if we were unfortunate enough to live in one of those countries where it is dominant.

Anyhoo, I sure wish I could believe in a god, I've spent plenty of time in a church, but I've found I'm way too logical and evidence based to believe in such things.
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 25 Sep 2011 at 9:59pm
Specifically:

This started because a group of Christians fell into a waterfall and were criticized for thanking God for their survival.

Jews were directly compared to Nazis.  (I know not "Christ"ians since they don't believe in Christ, but share the same old testament.)

I'd say those two are intolerant...
H2O please
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 25 Sep 2011 at 10:07pm
"I think it is silly that religious folks constantly praise God when lucky things happen"

"the tendency for Christians to evangelize an proselytize is a real bummer"

"most religious people can't take a step towards common ground after you've clearly taken a step towards them"

Generalizations such as these are not fair.  I think the Christians that most people meet and see on television are nothing like the ones I know.  I don't like being lumped into these categories.  I see it as intolerance.

I am not trying to "convert" anyone nor will this discussion ever be brought up by me on the river.
H2O please
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 12:08am
Oops, I'd also like to clarify the kind of Christians that most people "meet."

By this I meant that the ones I know (a large number) won't come knocking on your door, nor will conversion be brought up in normal conversation.

Proof: how many here would have guessed that I would have taken this stance from paddling with me?  How often do I mention God or Church in casual conversation?  There is no need, I don't judge anyone because of their faith.  There is a document that tells me not to do so... 

Again, it bothers me that so many people listen to the loudest and least informed members... of any group.

Luke 9:26
H2O please
justin
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote justin Replybullet Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 9:09am
I'll agree with you on one point Travisimo, that lumping people into categories is intolerance.

When we do that, we create an us vs. them mentality, which is anything but productive.

Therein lies my problem with religions,  much of the genocide being performed on the planet today is being done, in part, under the banner of religious auspices. 

I spent some time studying religions in a past life, and at the core of all of them, is idea that to be a good person is to treat other people with respect etc. 

I believe, that if people really believed the teachings of the founders of their religions, there wouldn't be the Israel/Palestine fiasco, let alone the war on the Axis of Evil etc.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 1:55pm
I would like to just say that I don't feel like christians are being slammed on. Does everyone agree with what I believe, no. Does everyone even believe the same thing? no. Do people think that what I believe is crazy, sure some, some might even laugh at it but that does not mean they are attacking or going after me. I think it is a good thing for people to be willing to discuss this stuff with an open mind and part of that means when folks disagree and when folks don't respond the way you want, you accept it and don't take it personally.

If you go through history you will find that most of the middle eastern conflict has very little to do with Religion and more to do with Relationships and Power. As moral codes decay you find these massive rifts open up between regions and people groups. Take the
Ptolemies for example.

franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Quote franzhorner Replybullet Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 2:20pm
Travismo:

an intolerant example:

"I think it is silly that religious folks constantly praise God when lucky things happen"

So if I think a group is silly for doing something AND I admit that I too do it now and again...that makes me intolerant of that group?  Whoa!!!??

I think you are being a bit sensitive here.....

Intolerant would be if I said something like people who do that should be shot or put in prison or have their foreheads branded....
MORE RAIN PLEASE
franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Quote franzhorner Replybullet Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 2:39pm
Main Entry: in·tol·er·ant
Pronunciation: \-rənt\
Function: adjective
Date: circa 1735
1 : unable or unwilling to endure
2 a : unwilling to grant equal freedom of expression especially in religious matters b : unwilling to grant or share social, political, or professional rights : bigoted
3 : exhibiting physiological intolerance <lactose intolerant>
MORE RAIN PLEASE
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 2:40pm
I'm sorry if it looks like I'm being sensitive, I'm not offended, far from it in fact!

I'm trying to do what the title says "debate."  I don't think forums are the best place for stuff like this because things look so much more serious in type... how about this

Yes I still feel you are being intolerant, you differentiate yourself from the "silly religious folk" that exhibit the same behavior you sometimes do...

I wonder if you call any other groups silly ______ folks.  I wonder if someone called any group you belong to "Silly ______ folks" if you may think they were being intolerant.
H2O please
franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Quote franzhorner Replybullet Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 2:41pm
I don't think intolerance is the right word. If anything the existence of this thread is in complete conflict with the word "intolerance".

MORE RAIN PLEASE
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 2:44pm
intolerant [ɪnˈtɒlərənt]
adj
1. lacking respect for practices and beliefs other than one's own
2. (postpositive; foll by of) not able or willing to tolerate or endure intolerant of noise
intolerance  n
intolerantly  adv

Calling someone "silly" for praying fits #1 pretty well.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/intolerant
H2O please
franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Quote franzhorner Replybullet Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 2:59pm
I'm a liberal long haired hippie. If you think I haven't endured people or myself calling me silly you're out of your mind.
Intolerance is not finding something silly...
MORE RAIN PLEASE
franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Quote franzhorner Replybullet Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 3:05pm
So where did I say I don't have respect for Christianity?? I think I've gone out of my way to say the opposite. If I find an aspect or two of a religion silly, that makes me intolerant?!! So to be tolerant in your eyes, I would have to be totally piously accepting of every single tenet and aspect of the entire religion?
MORE RAIN PLEASE
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 3:07pm
According to #1 it is...  Cause that is certainly not respect.

Sure there are levels of intolerance, I feel you are discrediting mild intolerance.  Yes there are levels and you haven't threatened anybody.  If the people in that video heard you call them "silly religious folks" I doubt they would feel much love from you...  I thought that was what the hippie movement was all about?
H2O please
<< Prev Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version