Professor Paddle: Legalize Yellowstone vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Legalize Yellowstone Post Reply Post New Topic
wallyworld
Paddler
Paddler

Online Status: Offline
  Quote wallyworld Replybullet Topic: Legalize Yellowstone
    Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 10:19am
There's an online petition going around to open up Yellowstone to kayaking. I highly recommend signing it even if you never plan to paddle there. It could be a very important example for other areas with lousy river management.
It only takes a couple of minutes. Spread the word.

let's go get it
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
wallyworld
Paddler
Paddler

Quote wallyworld Replybullet Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 6:07pm
Just throwing this up to keep it near the top.
let's go get it
PanchosPigTaxi
Paddler
Paddler

Quote PanchosPigTaxi Replybullet Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 8:13pm
I hope everybody's signing this. It would be pretty big to see this petition go somewhere.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
wallyworld
Paddler
Paddler

Quote wallyworld Replybullet Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 6:41pm

Thanks to all who have signed so far. Those who haven't should be ashamed......unless you're on a sweet BC trip or equivalent.

let's go get it
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 30 Sep 2011 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by wallyworld

Thanks to all who have signed so far. Those who haven't should be ashamed......unless you're on a sweet BC trip or equivalent.

...or unless you OPPOSE legalization of paddling in Yellowstone.

I do. I for one will not be signing this petition. Sorry but I like this place for its forbidden fruit status. And I feel like just cuz peeps got a bank account and can go buy some gear doesn't entitle them to boat where ever the hell they want

"What?! JP you must be mad!!!"
Well it is true that I did just finish typing a lengthy essay on how I should be free to paddle where I want, how I want, when I want (see the King County Survey).

But in the case of Yellowstone, well, I think there is value in having at least a few places that require extra effort.

You wanna boat in Yellowstone? Earn it. Show your devotions to the river gods by Stealing your strokes...

I know I'm horribly out numbered on this, but when I paddled in Yellowstone it was all about the stealth missions. What can I say I got fond memories and I was glad there were't a bunch of colorful plastic maggots everywhere.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 01 Oct 2011 at 8:19am

whoa....

omg...

generally I try to hold off a few hours or days before responding in haste, usually some statements I feel guilty about or some such thing...

But JP, what you just wrote hurts my head.  Yes, I can truly understand your perspective, but you my friend, of ALL PEOPLE, ought to know why this is so important that that place be free. 

EXTRA EFFORT?   Of course that place will always require extra effort to paddle.  RIGHT NOW as it stands, it's not just about extra effort, but some serious significant downsides (to use Bernankes wordage); you get busted and then say hello to some finage, maybe jail time, and a complete loss of all your favorite gear.  That's not just extra effort dude, that is totally wrong. 

The runs in Yellowstone will always protect themselves.  Am I wrong?

Sam_Graftton
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Sam_Graftton Replybullet Posted: 01 Oct 2011 at 6:26pm

I agree with you Mike the risk of jail time, massive fines, gear confiscation, and a criminal record isn’t worth it.  This could be a huge new Kayak destination and everyone should be signing this petition.

PanchosPigTaxi
Paddler
Paddler

Quote PanchosPigTaxi Replybullet Posted: 02 Oct 2011 at 4:18pm
Jp, I kind of understand where you're coming from.

I bet your Yellowstone trip was an incredible adventure. Reading Doug Ammons "Counting Coup Along the Yellowstone" sounded like a ton of fun. (link for those of you who want to read it, http://www.dougammons.com/CountingCoup.html )
Sneaking in, no other boaters, all the logistics etc. probably adds a totally new dimension. Legalizing Yellowstone would make these kinds of trips a thing of the past.

Like you said I think that we should be able to paddle where we want and how we want. I'd like to paddle parts of Yellowstone someday and I'd prefer to do it legally because of the high consequences if you get caught.
Joe
Larry
Super Looper
Super Looper
Mr. Generosity

Quote Larry Replybullet Posted: 02 Oct 2011 at 9:16pm
Thanks JP!!!!

Adding a little controversy will ensure that this thread stays near the top and that the survey gets a-lot of signatures.
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 05 Oct 2011 at 11:50am
Folks sign this!  If you don't only criminals like JP will be able to say they have paddled such a wonderful region!

Why are kayakers (probably the least damaging outdoor group I know) kept out of public places?

Please send to your friends and family too!
H2O please
up4air
McNasty
McNasty

Quote up4air Replybullet Posted: 05 Oct 2011 at 4:34pm
Same reason mtn bikes are kept out of horse trail areas. Which has more damage to a trail: a one ton horse or 200 +- lb rider and bike? But horse people have money and therefore political power to keep trails open to them. Hopefully this petition can get through without relying on moneybags, because most kayakers, well...
More water, please.
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 06 Oct 2011 at 12:12am
oi!!!!

That's what we all love about paddlers!  C'mon folks!

H2O please
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 10:27am

Well said Slickhorn....

Unfortunately the petition signing has only a third of the necessary names for consideration.  Time is not on our side here.... 

JP... you should renig on your aforementioned position, and in the interest of the community sacrafice your principles!   

wallyworld
Paddler
Paddler

Quote wallyworld Replybullet Posted: 11 Oct 2011 at 7:01am
1,500 signatures is pretty sad. I figure we can get that out of the Seattle area alone. Spread the word to anybody who doesn't like being told where they may or may not recreate with impunity.
let's go get it
PanchosPigTaxi
Paddler
Paddler

Quote PanchosPigTaxi Replybullet Posted: 11 Oct 2011 at 8:24pm
Good idea, post the link on other forums, mountainbuzz, road bike forums, climbing, etc
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 8:10am
so less than a week left for signatures.  would be a bit of a bummer to see this fail without even a real attempt at legislation.  seems awful that we haven't got 5000 paddlers in the country willing to sign this... SO if you haven't yet, please do....
shrek
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote shrek Replybullet Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 12:49pm
Mike thanks for the reminder. I'm all signed up.  No doubt Obama will jump right on it when we get 5000
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 1:02pm

right on Josh...

It totally bums me out that this probably won't reach critical mass.  Still needs 3300 plus signatures and with less than a week it doesn't look good. 

So, I guess we will have ourselves to blame for not being more proactive on this outreach. 

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version