Professor Paddle: East Coast Green? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: East Coast Green? Post Reply Post New Topic
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Travisimo Replybullet Topic: East Coast Green?
    Posted: 16 Nov 2011 at 6:36pm
I'm going to just drive to North Carolina Saturday... buy a boat and paddle the Green Narrows... I think?

Anybody have any advice?  I don't know anybody out here but I was told I should have no problem finding boaters there...

PMs would be fine or respond here...  I'll also post on Boatertalk if I can't figure it out here...

Sounds totally weird... paying to paddle... huge crowds and warm water.  I'll report after!
H2O please
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
ellsw121
Paddler
Paddler

Quote ellsw121 Replybullet Posted: 16 Nov 2011 at 7:35pm
What date are you looking to paddle, I am from Charlotte, NC and the green is my home run. I can hook you up with people. or I will be in town and happy to show you down if you want.
Leland
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote Leland Replybullet Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 5:49am
Check the release before you drive - right now there is no release scheduled for Saturday.

http://www.duke-energy.com/lakes/scheduled-flow-releases.asp

Tallulah would be a good back up plan.

I will probably be at the Green if it runs - along with plenty of other folks - so it will be easy to hook up with people.

Leland
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 6:08am
Ya man, just drive to the takeout. Bring takeout beers and offer to run shuttle. Its just like Cali. Worst comes to worst; go hang out at 12 Bones and wait for boaters to roll in for a sandwhich and a pint.
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 6:08am

Texas Dave is out that way now too. You could give him a call.

Daniel Patrinellis
warlickone
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote warlickone Replybullet Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 10:07am
Hey,

I used to live there and boat what's called "green lite". I don't know your take on big stompy drops, but...if you want a more class IV experience, run it at lower flows and walk "the big three": go left, gorilla, sunshine. The guidebooks do a good job of describing the run....here is some useful lore...

Go Left has a sneak so you don't need to get out of your boat. Gorilla is a walk followed by a seal launch. Sunshine is a walk on the right, where you rope your boat down and walk around through the woods.   

At gorilla and sunshine, those walking can be useful as safey and air traffic control for those firing it up. Have the bag ready and let those upstream know when it's clear.

If you blow the eddy for walking Gorilla, don't panic...boof the ten footer...the big good eddy is on the right. But, the good eddy may be hard/impossible to get to since you'll likely be on the left...so....eddie hard left into a sketchy micro eddy and wait/yell for someone to come grab you. There have been some messes when people panic missing the Gorilla walk eddy. It's not over, boof and scramble straight away into that one shot eddy.

Some uber walkers also walk the two drops above gorilla in one big walk...walking the drops called Zwicks Backender and Chief. Really, both of those drops are good to go and aren't really that much harder than the rest of the run. I consider the main line on chief the safer way since the death there happened while attempting the sneak.

That detail may be too much. The bottom line: gorilla, sunshine, and go left are in a league beyond the rest of the run. Even if a hardcore local tells you you should fire it all up, it's still ok to walk those.

Of course, it's also totally cool to run it all without getting out of your boat.

Don't piton (fail to boof) in groove tube as broken legs have happened there. AW only mentions the left wall.

The party scene is at sunshine before the boogie out. Bringing special treats or beers for hanging at sunshine isn't a bad idea. Some of the most fun whitwater is after sunshine in the part no one talks about....lots of great class IV boogie...

Turtles are a cool sighting near the takeout.

If it's still the same: The putin parking lot is managed on an annual lease basis where boaters individually buy a key to the gate. Visitors can join others and are supposed to pay a fee to get in (paid through the bro network to, I believe, Woody, maybe?). Locals are expected to buy a annual key. Freeloading on the system isn't really respected. It's kind of like the Green in Washington's takeout, except you have to pay to get gate access at the NC Green.

That's one awesome river. So much clean verticality. Have a bunch of fun out there. If any Green locals want to edit or call me wrong on any of this...it's all good. This is what I remember...

Oh, if you like the green....see if you can get on Overflow creek. It's a total classic. I also really liked the Rocky Broad and the Watauga.

PM me if you need tips and or connections in the northern WV scene.

Jim
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 1:00pm
DO NOT take beers to Sunshine...

While I was there, I witnessed mutlple rangers in gunnie (SP), camo either way, up on the ridge and at the takeout. I guess they are mainly looking for people bringing glass bottle on the lower raft/tube section but its handcuffs if they catch you... I wouldnt risk it. But, then again, I noticed a lot of people with beers at Sunshine. Just be careful I guess.

On another note, if you walk Zwick's, I think you are missing one of the best rapids on the river. Boof right in the middle hole and you'll be fine. If you go left, thats cool too, just boof harder. And Boof or Consequence is awesome as well. Most people will go right to sneak it, I say go left. Have a blast man!

Daniel Patrinellis
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 3:43am
I'm going to head out there tomorrow and hopefully paddle it Sunday...  Work was a bit nuts and I got worried that I couldn't.... Sunday is the day.

Thanks Leif!  Can you point me to anybody going then?  I'll actually be there on Saturday, but I'm picking up the boat from a shop that doesn't open till 11 so I don't know if I'll have tome to boat Saturday....  I'd be getting there at 1 at the earliest...

I can't tell if it's going to be flowing on Sunday though, I was under the impression that it always did :(

Leland, if it's not in, are you paddling something on Sunday?  I'd still like to hit something while I'm out here!

My phone number is too oh 6 nein tree won six for ate 6

Thanks for the info guys!  If anybody else knows somebody out here please have them call me too!
H2O please
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 3:55am
I've been working insane hours here (and will today too) and my email access is blotchy...

It also sucked not knowing till now that I'd be free, but I will...  So any advice on how to meet paddlers at this point would be great!  I don't have time till tonight to do research and get on the road too...

I'll be buying that boat and shipping it back to myself regardless since it sounds like I found a Y in great shape for my collection!!!

I'll be in North Carolina regardless this weekend...

H2O please
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 7:34pm
SWEET!!!  I'm all set...  Gonna be releasing and gonna be lotsa people there!  Thanks Leif for your help!  I'm SO stoked!

I love the paddling community!!

This is gonna be awesome!
H2O please
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 9:42pm
Go get some action Travis!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
ellsw121
Paddler
Paddler

Quote ellsw121 Replybullet Posted: 19 Nov 2011 at 12:13am
Have fun, spank that monkey!
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 8:49pm
What a fun river!  It's amazing how many paddlers were there, especially considering the Tallulah was flowing too!

I had such a good time, thanks to everyone for their advice and to my new friend Jeff for taking me down the upper and the narrows!  Paddlers everywhere are awesome!  The more I meet in my travels the more I love kayaking!

Asheville was a  lot of fun too!
H2O please
brig
Paddler
Paddler

Quote brig Replybullet Posted: 22 Nov 2011 at 9:03am
It's a great run, still my favorite.
Chris B.
Post Reply Post New Topic