Professor Paddle: Kayakers dont exsist vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Kayakers dont exsist Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 10:31pm
Yeah, the water is cold. Seperates the hearty from the weak. I don't see an issue. If this sport chews ya up n spits ya out, C-YA! Everyone else can stick around and be richly rewarded.

Like Grinch said- its a culture of pretenders (mainstream culture), but the Rio don't let pretentions slide. Isn't that all the more rewarding for those who stick to the river's surface? (Or subsurface or airbourn above the surface, ect.)

Now Wa, its true- has colder water and a much more rugged riverscape as well. Steep hikes in and out of canyons. This requires fitness, balance, and sometimes perseverance. WONDERFUL!
- BY CONTRAST: back east you have many runs with developed acess and a higher percentage of less fit people participating. Not making any judgements on those folks- glad they get out too. But, obviously both the streams out here and the canyons they flow through, and the forests that cradle those canyons are more rugged.

Sure you can stay on the wenatchee and have an easy acess, but to run the bulk of what the PNW has to offer you need a LOT more motivation. You gotta want what's in those canyons waiting for you.

I say, there is plenty of variety to serve the paddling population. Choose your own adventure. Stay on the well beaten path and surf Turkey Shoot if thats your thing, or seek out a new creek every week, watch the weather like Cliff Mass n b a geek... Its all up to you.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
BIGWATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BIGWATER Replybullet Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 10:33pm

JP,  like i said maby ill have to start going north since it seems thats where every one is

but i must say the trip we had on the humptuilps today was because of PP, so i think this community has and will lead to many days on the river

you r right JP we need more boaters in Oly .... Toutle tommro !!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
BIGWATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BIGWATER Replybullet Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 10:36pm
Cliff Mass rocks !!
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 10:42pm
Really? Toutle tomorrow? Hmmm. Kinda already made plans to hit the Lower Green w/ Nelson. I think I'll stick to that.

But, you can already see where this is goin- you need to wrangle more of us paddlers from north of you to come down and boat with you. I will. In fact, for now I'm in Auburn. I'm trying to stay south of I-90 as much as I can this winter (I'll make exceptions for Robe). Maybe I need to boat with you more, dude.

And maybe we need to think of having some sort of mid winter mini-PP ball one weekend, based out of Oly. Just brainstorming.

Yeah, auburn is practicaly Tacoma, and Tacoma isn't far from Oly.

Keep me posted I'd do the Toutle again if it was pumpin some juice. Gotta stick to plans made for tomorrow though.

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 11:04pm
Two points related to boat design which I must emphaticly disagree with:

1) There were certainly smaller boats out there than the Hurricane when it arrived on the scene: squirt boats.
2) Creek boat designs WILL continue to evolve. I could elaborate, but to state that is enough. Well, ok-maybe a little:
   The future will bring us specialized creek boats that can creek well enough but are better optimised for HUGE waterfalls than anything we've seen yet.
   Someone will crack the BigWater code: there will be boats better optimised for big water that we haven't seen yet, even if it includes permutations of older design elements tbat have been discarded.
    Creek Racers are already showing up. These will continue to evolve to function well on steeps, yet be better optimized for speed, returning to a 9-10' length range.
    Lastly, it shouldn't be assumed that plastic will always reign supreme as the material of choice as we currently know it. Creekboat designs will find a way to become stronger and lighter. New inflatible kayaks will show up that blow today's hardshells out of the water, and strong skin on frame boats using revolutionary composite materials will get hikers deeper into the back country.
Custom plastic boats may become accessible. I hate being shackled to only what the Almighty Kayak Market deems worthy for me to (buy) paddle. I know what I want. It doesn't exist.

Or, the apocolypse is right around the corner, the economy is in the process of a permanent collapse, and (whitewater) kayaking soon really won't exist. Its safe to say we all hope not. But unless we change the current state of things, as Grinch outlined, that future may be the one we end up w/ by default. I guess I'll be a permanent salt yakker then, and no one will be able to find me, assuming I can adopt a lifestyle like "Kayak Bill".

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
justin
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote justin Replybullet Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 11:19pm
Amen JP  couldn't agree with you more!
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 9:09pm
There you go. Now we're gettin somewhere.
I like the Ike Kinswa Idea and the Kanaskat Palmer one. I also think a East Frk Humptulips/ Matheny combo would be cool.

Been wanting to organize a winter PP gathering for a few winters but haven't made it happen. I think we're onto something. BIGWATER should be careful what he asks for- we gonna all come down and Smartmob his zone with this here internet! After we leave he'll be so stoked on solo paddling! I'll be down there EMPHATICLY YELLING "I'M SO STOKED!!"

But seriously, its a cool idea. Wonder what others think?
Time to launch a new thread...

Regarding IK design, I fear you are correct: not a big enough market. But what I was thinking was if one could make an IK so rad that it could be rolled as easily as a hardshell, what if you could win over a substantial chunk of the hardshell demographic? This from a long term staunch hardsheller who used to scorn the IK (I've made some progress opening my mind)
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 9:57pm
Maybe so, but, We can still dream, can't we?

Still, while everything you say is true, I believe there are surprises waiting for us in our whitewater future, assuming we have a vibrant enough economy to allow advancements ( if things godown the tubes, the whole idea of recreation will go extinct for the most part. )

But if there are too few participants in the sport to drive innovation to bring my predictions into reality, I'm fine with things just how they are.

Worried about an economy in decline, though.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
warlickone
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote warlickone Replybullet Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 8:13am
Hey Bigwater,

I lived in Olympia for a couple of years two years ago. From talking with the guys at the shop, I heard there just weren't any whitewater boaters in Olympia. Anyway, I was driving down to Hood River for most of my boating then because I knew a few folks down there. I didn't tap into the Seattle scene at all then. I think the Ft Lewis and Tacoma traffic patterns may have been inhibiting me. I was also mostly unaware of the regularly hit runs in the Seattle range.

So, it would have been fun to have meet you while I was there. I'm in Kirkland now, boating the Sky, Middle Middle, and Green as my daily dose. Olympia is interesting...it's about 30-45 minutes farther from most of the goods than any of the other larger towns. This is because it is positioned at the bottom of the sound smack between the Cascades and the Olympics. Out of Olympia, one has an additional drive over those in other towns.    The plus to this is that Olympia is more central to just about everything for the weekend adventure. The Olympics, Hood River, Seattle stuff, it's all 2 hrs driving or more. While Olympia isn't really close to anything, it's more central to everything.

I think it's the driving to the rivers that keeps people from learning to boat in Olympia. Oly has no Middle Middle to hit after work in the Spring like Seattle does.

Anyway, there is an active community, somewhat scattered like cats, in the Seattle region. Maybe more couch surfin' up this way is in order...

JiM
BIGWATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BIGWATER Replybullet Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 9:32am

hey jim  to bad we never met when you where in Oly , up untill this year i realy haven had the need to post much about what i was doing because we always had a local crew 

yes the guys in the outdoor shops in Oly have no idea about anything whitewater and every shop that has tryed to carry WW gear in Oly fails miserably even tho i try to buy stuff from them

as far as everything being far away , ill have to disagree,   the tilton is now 50 mins from my house since they finished I-5 south ,  the toutle is an hour 15 , and since i live on the west side , the olympics r way close , 45 mins to jefferson creek and all the east side stuff,  the best thing about Oly is i dont even have to touch I-5 to go to the Olympics, in the spring i do after work runs on the dose, duckabush,  hamma hamma, i  have even gotten after work jefferson creek runs .... also i would rather drive 2 or 3 hours through the woods then an hour in Seatle trafic, but thats just me

it is true that there is nothing right down town ...  but thats the way it is in all citys in WA it seems , unless they build a play park but thats a whole other can of worms

anyways to bad we never hooked up , you missed out on TONS of great days on the tilton and other local stuff, ill start posting my trips more
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 6:21pm

Hey Bigwater,

I live in Port Orchard and I'm always looking for boaters to add to the call list. Jefferson is amazing but hard to get the Kirkland crew stoked for, with its unpredictability and lack of a real gage. Let me know when you're looking to boat. Especially durring the week.  I don't make it down to Oly very often, but UU Cispus is still one of my fav's and I can always be talked into that run.

Cheers,
Dan

If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by BIGWATER

i would rather drive 2 or 3 hours through the woods then an hour in Seatle trafic

Amen, brother!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version