Professor Paddle: Winter Edition Mini-PP Ball? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Winter Edition Mini-PP Ball? Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jP Replybullet Topic: Winter Edition Mini-PP Ball?
    Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 9:26pm
So we've talked about this in the past,and we've had some larger spontaneous winter gatherings, but we haven't done any thing in an "official", organized level:

Anyone interested in a winter time Mini Professor Paddle Ball?
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 9:27pm
Talkin bout something much more low key. No sponsers or raffles or anything requirig tons of volunteers or organization.

Just tarps, campfires, potlucks, beer n boat'n
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 9:29pm
...a weekend that would be spontaneously launched as the flows permit. Thinkin somewhere down by Olympia. What do you think, BIGWATER?
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 9:33pm
Slickhorn just threw out something about cabins at Ike Kinswa... Run the Tilton, maybe something else the following day.

Organizing a camping/boating thing on the Green would be cool too. Probably camp at Kanaskat Palmer like Slick was sugesting.

Or, one of my favorite ideas: an E. Frk Humptulips/Matheney combo. Big 'ol tarp city base camp n lots of OP boating. Highly dependent on rains.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 1:52am
I'm hearing a New Year's Day weekend O.P. trip, done proper. Somethin' deep, that probably involves hiking. Maybe scouting And lots of beer and firewood. We could do a proper trip down the GC Elwha. That could turn into a massive undertaking. Vance Creek/WF Satsop is a good option. Upper Upper Sitkum/Upper Sitkum would be fun, too. If Matheny was in I would do the whole thing. Fool's is always a good option. So many others I haven't done. UPS pool session was pretty fun tonight. Thanks for drivin', Gordon!
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 8:32am
That sounds good, brian- we could tentatively shoot for a window around that time frame, then see what the weather is doing.

BTW- I'll be on the Green a lot this winter, so anytime you want to run it gimme a shout.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Courtney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Whitewater,sea kayaking, snowboarding, backpacking.

Quote Courtney Replybullet Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 8:41am
How about something like the Green so people of different skill levels can join in the fun.  Otherwise it sound like it would just be limited to the harder runs which will limit the show of people on PP. 
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 8:52am
Did I hear someone say overnight party on the green? Count me in!

Pack them rafts heavy on a nice beach and get it. I would prefer in Jan. some time early like say a MLK weekend trip. That way we would be in the thick of steelhead season too! By Feb most of the green has thinned out, just saying... 
not-very-clever
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote not-very-clever Replybullet Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 10:48am
what about getting some huge flood lights and a generator and setting up shop at paradise for a night-time rodeo? maybe we could talk to howard hansen dam about setting the levels to 1400 cfs for the event.  that might be far fetched, but i think party on the green sounds primo
BIGWATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BIGWATER Replybullet Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 2:10pm
Hey i think the idea of usen the take out park on the Tilton is great ,   i have never even checked out the cabins (since i am an hour away),   if flows r good the north fork tilton is great and so is the main run ,  also the class 2, 3 streach is up there for people not wanting to do harder stuff
and im always down for the Olympic ,   Kalaylock (spelling)  has nice cabins right on the beach near matheny and all the west side stuff , i have rented them before, for weekend trips
but i think the bigest problem as far as planing goes is flows , like JP said  it would have to be spontainious
i mean we can plan it all ... but if we get a cold dry week like this ,  its a no go
definatly easyer to plan events around spring melt .... but not imposible in the winter
lets do it !

IP IP Logged Send Private Message
BIGWATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BIGWATER Replybullet Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 2:25pm

as far as van / tarp city  im always down for that and do it when ever i can

it just seems maby more people would show if we had cabins or something people could rent

jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by Courtney

<element style=": progid:DXTrans.Microsoft.name(sProperties);">

<font face="Arial">How about something like the Green so people of different skill levels can join in the fun.  Otherwise it sound like it would just be limited to the harder runs which will limit the show of people on PP.  </element>

I agree. I'm thinkin class III- I dunno- we can leave it up to PP to decide. I was figuring The Green or the Tilton, humtulips... Those are class III's with some IVish crux spots that are considered by most to be pretty manageable.

Notice I didn't respond to Wacko's post. You don't want throngs of PPeeps squeezing down the Sitkum. That's... Well, Wacko. A recipe for disaster.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
BIGWATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BIGWATER Replybullet Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 2:35pm

altho the Titlon caynon is called class 3  by many people , it is a remote place and i have seen many class 3 boaters get there asses handed to them in there

there is the streach  between the north fork and the canyon that realy is a class 2 , 3  run and its roadside , i only ran it once when we did the Tilton top to bottom from north fork to lake at about 5k

all in all the Tilton has options for everyone  even if you dont wana do the north fork or the canyon
the green is great also , its just that the green gets plenty of attention , even has the "clean of the green " every year
would be nice to see something happen at a new spot , get people stoked on some less popular runs
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 2:45pm
Now I think, like BIGWATER says, we can loosely plan a three week window maybe, then we have to leave it up to the rains (or dam operaters) to make it possible. Announce it by wed and go that weekend.

That's why I'm not thinking too big about this. Just some camping (or cabins, if people want to do that), campfire, hanging out and boating.
I don't think we want to plan tons of events- days are short and winter is cold.

That said, the Green seems to be a favorable option.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
BIGWATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BIGWATER Replybullet Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 2:54pm

oh and i guess i should mention that the log jam on the TIlton  is GONE on the left side now

we cut the last log out the other week after the flood had taken out the rest , the log jam is spread all over the run but nothing is in a bad spot (yet) ,,,, totaly open for rafts now ( you still have to paddle the lake tho)

BRoss
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BRoss Replybullet Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by BIGWATER

oh and i guess i should mention that the log jam on the TIlton  is GONE on the left side now

we cut the last log out the other week after the flood had taken out the rest , the log jam is spread all over the run but nothing is in a bad spot (yet) ,,,, totaly open for rafts now ( you still have to paddle the lake tho)

Thanks for that!    That was a treat to find the logjam gone. We ran it on Saturday at 800-ish. I thought that it wasn't going to be any good at that level, and was very pleasantly surprised. Still really really good with nice play, just not pushy at all.

I like the Tilton idea. I like the Green idea. I like the Matheny idea. It all sounds fun.
"That boated a lot better than it looked." "It always does until it doesn't."
Yotes
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Daddy Dutch Oven

Quote Yotes Replybullet Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 4:06pm
I'd be more likely to jump in on a Tilton trip, since it's a lot closer for me.  That said, a winter get-together sounds like a blast!
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 7:32pm
Also, the Green offers not only car camping that is close to beer and food supplies and wood supplies, but it has overnight camping in the gorge and ClassII, III, and IV sections if the water is right...
Nomad
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 9:04pm
I'm still pushing for the OP! Love that place. Humptulips?? Ehh.. What else? Middle Dose?
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 9:27pm
Sorry 'bout the 'wacko' play on words, bret- you know I'm down for all the adventures you suggested.

Just lookin out for the bulk of the PPeeps who for a variety of reasons aren't chasing after those options.

Green: two sections, very close n convienient for many
Tilton: still accessible, yet down in BIGWATER'S ZONE ( this discussion partly spurred forth from his bemoaning a lack of Oly buddies)
Humptulips/Matheney: more exotic, more remote for camping, and more options for more paddlers (PPeeps can go up to Sitkum, too they want more steeps to creek. There's also the Wynoochee n Satsop runs on the way) - maybe The OP Ninja will show up....

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 9:29pm
Not such a fan of the Dosewallips, I gotta say. Sure Elkhorn makes for a splendid, beautiful adventure, but after The Maze, there isn't much for class III boaters. Did Elkhorn twice. I think I'm good on that one.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 9:40pm
We should loosely plan all three. That way whoever doesn't make it to the others may be able to make one. Just a thought.

I could do without the cabins, personally. Got a van, a coleman stove, and a bunch of tarps.

The Green: I think that one's gonna happen for sure. If the Green ever runs. We should try to do that in Jan to oblige our own nutty Professor, without whom we'd have no "whitewater social media" in the area. Besides, I wouldn't mind slingin a hook around myself.

And, Slick- I ain't no High Water Snob- I'm a Medium Water Snob! Get it straight!

Seriously though- I really dug the lower Green last weekend at 900cfs. I think from now on if its under 1100, I'll just run the lower. Lots more sunshine, some great 'lil surf waves (which prolly do improve as flows drop), and some good Nature Slalom.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
BIGWATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BIGWATER Replybullet Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 9:48am

well JP if we plan 3 dfirent weekends , at least one of them should have good water ,, sounds good

maby start with the green becouse everyone is soooo fammilar with it , and if it goes good we can branch out to the more elusive runs like the tilton and the Olympic stuff

the green is actualy very close to Oly and is one of my all time favorites especialy when its over 3k  ,,, about and hour and 20 mins from my house IF trafic is good .... but honeslty on any give day the tilton is in  thats where i go if i have the choise  (epic play and no trafic)
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 9:55am
Originally posted by jP

Sorry 'bout the 'wacko' play on words, bret- you know I'm down for all the adventures you suggested.

JP, I know you're a little wacko yourself No worries, bro. You're in good company I'm just sayin, if it's a holiday, NEW YEAR'S!!, then we should get out in it!! Because if not during a glorious time of year like this, then when. I guess my prerequisite and others'? is... enough h20. 30 people down Fool's could get a bit wacko indeed

My first choice is something haven't done before. If the Sitkum is going though...
fiddleyak
McNasty
McNasty

Quote fiddleyak Replybullet Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 10:04am
The idea of a gathering on the Olympic Peninsula in the winter is a great idea. It's pretty difficult to get the motivation to drive all the way out there. The prospect of a PP style party would make it an easy decision for me.

Of course predicting good flows are the problem, but the Matheny/EF WF Humptulips/Wynoochee/Satsop zone has a variety of runs from class II to Class V that can still be fun even at low water.

Also, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Hood River. A farther drive but it's the best destination from Seattle in the winter for world class whitewater.
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version