Professor Paddle: New Year's O.P. watch vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: New Year's O.P. watch Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 4 Next >>
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Online Status: Offline
  Quote water wacko Replybullet Topic: New Year's O.P. watch
    Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 12:45pm
This thread is dedicated to the New's Year's weekend O.P. watch. Many rivers to choose from all over the O.P from II to V. Interested parties stay tuned and offer suggestions as to the rivers they want to hit. If we have a big enough group, it is very feasible to have simultaneous trips each day. Let's watch the gauges, ask questions about runs (hopefully we will ALL be getting on something new!) and figure this shin dig out!! Potluck? I'll bring some PBR.

I would like to emphasize this as a community event as much as a paddling event. I know Fish has some Fireball left from the Truss weekend. Let's DO THIS!!!
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 1:16pm
Some likely base camping options:

Matheny/Sitkum zone
Humptulips zone
Satsops/Vance/Wynoochie zone
Duckabush zone?
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
septimus prime
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote septimus prime Replybullet Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 2:14pm
Count me in!!!
Jon Shell Bee
BIGWATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BIGWATER Replybullet Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 3:49pm

im always in for Olympic missions !

i did a number of multi day van (peace to the previas!!!) camping things out there last year 

i think matheny zone if water is high ,   wynoochie/ satsops  if its low

one of the coolest new things i did last year on the Olympic was Sams river , what a place !   i would love to do it again , and i would love to add the upper section also ... even tho it adds a few more miles to the hike in...... we camped at the queets/sams confluence for a few days running laps on matheny waiting for the water to come down enough for sams .... was a great trip
camping at the put in or take out of matheny is good ... the nat. park camp ground at the queets / sams confulence is nice to and could take a large group,  its a ways from the highway tho
as far as a site in the wynoochie/ satsop id have to think about it, there r tons of hunter camp spots and party spots all over , but i cant think of any good ones right on the rivers off hand , but then again i have never camped in that zone since its less then an hour away from my hot tub on the bay   :)

oh and can i just say this cold dry weather SUX!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
septimus prime
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote septimus prime Replybullet Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 5:10pm
For the Satsop drainage option, we could camp at the put in for Baker creek. It could hold several cars in a flat area...
Jon Shell Bee
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 6:42pm
Yeah, BW!! I just got a Previa Alltrac a couple weeks ago. I've already put 3000 miles on it! Really. And I forgot about the Sam's! I'd love to get in there too. Never been. We've been lucky to find camping spots in past OP missions, but this could be a big group that needs space (and dry wood!). Can't wait.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 9:30pm
ok Bret, you are officially nominated Chairman of the OP Shin dig comitee- I am down. I spose there's a slim possibility I'll be out of state (new years), if so, have a great time without me!

I like BW's matheney/ Queets idea, tho, and I GOTTA say:
I WANNA GET ON THE SAMS REALLY REALLY BAD, so count me in if I'm around (prolly will be)

I know a Green River extravaganza is gonna happen too. We'll just have to plan it on a different weekend- can't have conflicting river maggot parties, now can we? More river maggot parties, I say.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 10:02pm
Ok Bret, just don't set yourself up for disappointment: remember there's the possibity that mother nature won't grant us the water. So contingencies need to be considered geographicly or temporaly.

EVERY PARTICIPANT SHOULD BE REQUIRED TO BRING FIREWOOD AND WISKEY.

OTHER stuff to consider for a proper OP aquaulove fest:

Did I say Firewood? a substantial amount per individual. Ain't NO DRY wood over there in yonder OP forest!

Wiskey. Say no more. Goes with firewood. Ok, byob. Pick your poison. I'm bringin the Fireball. Its great in my patented gourmet cowboy coffee. Ask around.

Tarps- for the uninitiated: listen up- you need at least two tarps per individual. Dr. Pizzle's Wilderness Handbook recommends the following:
- 1 tarp minimum for van, truck or car.
- 1 BIG tarp over tent.
- 1 tarp under tent, provided tarp over tent sufficiently shelters ground tarp
- 1 tarp Inside tent, for those extremely wet weekends
- a small tarp is handy for changing on.

Me? I'd probably rally the van, with two van tarps, one community tarp, and three other tarps on standby ready to deploy for misc. Purposes.

Lastly, if anyone has a chainsaw, they are encouraged to bring it, mostly for the roads up in there. I got a bow saw I can pack in either Eskimo boat for on river purposes. and I'll prolly bring both.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 6:37am
I bet we can rope the OP ninja into this one. He's got all the wood handler's permits required to get us into any of the dark places on the OP. I have a big tarp and maybe 2 other smaller tarps. I don't really have any line to string them up with. I'll look around. I really do want to keep this a community event and less of a Class V event. That said, I want the Sam's too. Sam's and lower Matheny could be an option. I'd love to hear what other people are thinking some other options are? What do you wanna get on? Let's pencil some stuff in, so we know what levels to watch for. New Year's on the O.P. is ON!
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 8:36am
Yeah, slick. I was in Fool's a couple weeks ago, really low. under 2000. Went fine, not wood, except for the 'landslide' rapid toward the end. At normal flows it would be covered up. That said it was an easy class IV move to avoid it. The scout made it look worse than it was. Winter in the OP!!
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 5:57pm
Fool's Canyon was great Thanksgiving weekend at 5,000. I would call it a class IV undertaking that boated like fat class III if you are an accomplished class IV boater. Squeaky clean. I go back n do 3 laps. Prolly want to set a double shuttle.

I say we watch flows and shoot for Matheny. It has a few different sections. If Sams is in I'm in with it.

Potluck, tarps, campfire, and Fireball Wiskey!!! Then adjust accordingly to boating plans depending...
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 7:55am
For "community" rather than "class V", Clearwater campground has great camping and provides adjacency to some good rain-fed options.  And if the loop roads are open, egress N to Calawah / Sitkum and S to Queets tribs is easy.     
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 9:44am
As a very low water option... the EF Quinault. I might just go out a day early and peek in there.
AdamG
Paddler
Paddler

Quote AdamG Replybullet Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 11:48am
I'm all in on this idea. All we need is someone to turn the faucet back on

Adam
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 12:43pm
Yup- and maybe just warm things up 5 degrees or so. But copious amounts of rain would help.

My new years plans could yet be up in the air, but potentially I may be into an early trip over yonder to check that out (EfQ). Gotta play it by ear.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Mr.Grinch
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Mr.Grinch Replybullet Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 7:15pm
Count me and my dog IN!

Be warned, I'm pushing for the lighter side (class IV playboat runs or easier), but thissound like it could be a really good way to flip the calendar.
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 9:24pm
Yeah, man!!! It's gonna be a really fun time. I've camped in the OP wilderness a number of times and no matter how cold or wet I always want to stay longer and can't wait til the next time.
brig
Paddler
Paddler

Quote brig Replybullet Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 9:42pm
I Want OP Goodies
Chris B.
GHannam
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote GHannam Replybullet Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 7:58am
Depending on the verdict of what peeps are planning to run, I'm game. I'd be up for Matheny, forsure! Fingers are crossed that these atmospheric highs that keep developing off our coast will take a break, and the temperatures rise just a touch, so we can get some rain in!!
What an awesome idea, Bret!!! Thanks for being such an awesome Chairman 
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 11:34am
Since this is a community event, I see possibly two or three simultaneous trips happening over the weekend and then we can all camp and relax at the same base camp. Look through some of the suggestions on this page and see if one sounds good, then keep an eye on levels for the run you're interested in. If everyone brings some dry firewood we could get a nice fire going, too. Potluck? Communal feasting only adds to the stoke, especially in a special place like the O.P.    - Brett
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 1:58pm
I'd vote for Matheney Creek as the most centralized camp to afford the most possibilities, but whatever. Seems like that way there are multiple options in all directions.

This is gonna be highly dependent on weather and rain, so either a backup location and or plan should be considered, too Bret.

Btw- Bret isn't a chairman, Gwendolyn, he's an Almbudsman. Titles matter.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 2:07pm
Ombudsman.
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 2:38pm
I would have just gone with Budsman but I guess the saying is Alms for the poor so I vote for JPs spelling.
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 17 Dec 2011 at 12:40pm
JP, I figure we can work out the details the week of, when we know where the rain will be and what runs will be running. Matheny sounds like a good plan to me, though. Very centralized to many options. If yer thinkin' about it... you might want to make it a priority. just sayin..
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 18 Dec 2011 at 5:55pm
Thanks for the correction, Jed- I usually shoot for better accuracy than that, but then, James may be onto something!

Yeah, Bret- I'm making it a priority. And I hope Santa drops a bunch of cats and dogs all over Washington for Christmas (note to Santa if you are reading this, please don't take me litterally. The last thing I'd want is to show up at Matheney Creek and see heaps of cat and dog carcasses filling the riverbeds. It's a figure of speech) shoulda just asked for rain.

But- what if the Queets drainage is obviously bone dry? That discussion needs to take place. Because if it is I don't want to drive all that way to bump n grind down stuff. We need to discuss a minimum flow requirement for heading out there. Forgiveable low water is one thing. Ridiculously bone dry is another.

Would the weekend get cancelled? Rerouted to Hoody McRib? Bumped back to another date? (Try not to place it in conflict w/ the Green Overnighter)
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Page  of 4 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version