Professor Paddle: New Year's O.P. watch vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: New Year's O.P. watch Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 4 Next >>
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 8:26pm
Cool- I think brett is workin a partial day fri (?).
I will probably roll out tomorrow. Waiting for our Ombudsman to pronounce a plan of sorts, but it sounds like we are converging at Matheney Creek.

Hoping it doesn't drop out on us-
Some fronts will continue to move through thurs and fri. Most of the river graphs show a drop followed by a bump back up later on friday.

Forks' forecast calls for rain throughout the weekend, and the larger models show a slightly drier trend sat and sun compared to thurs and fri.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
SOPBOATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote SOPBOATER Replybullet Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 8:47pm
Call me i may be coaxable out of the woods for some matheny.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 9:47pm
So it's looking like I'll be able to head out Fri morning for a lap or two on Jefferson first. I'm going to look through and see what could be running (this could be a long list) from class III-V on the Matheny side of the OP for the weekend. Right now, for Sat, if it looks good I'd like to get on the Sitkum if it's low enough. The Sitkum is a 2.5 hour drive north from Aberdeen, so we'd have to start early.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
Mr.Grinch
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Mr.Grinch Replybullet Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 10:10pm
My plan is to run the NF Snoqualmie on Saturday, and then drive out to the OP to have a brew with you all to close the night. Boating whatever my boat and body can handle on Sunday. Mosh Pit would be excellent, but by then levels might not be right. Maybe some easy class IV or super playful class III run, who knows. Just looking to maximize what's available.
Mr.Grinch
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Mr.Grinch Replybullet Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 10:19pm
That said, Jan. 1er surf is looking playful, as well......

The OP has breaks to explore, and offshore winds all day. But that is four days from now. Breaks can be fickle.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 10:45pm
Cool, Grinch- it would be great to see ya out there. Just be sure (and this goes for everyone) not to under estimate the distances involved. Even a Saturday's Sitkum plan is gonna involve some drivin back to Matheney if we stick with it as a base camp ( sounds like the plan). Not sayin there's anythimg wrong with that.

For me it just always seems to be a lot of drivin. So the key is simply getting an early start.

The more the merrier. There doesn't seem to be a huge buzz though. Probably cuz PPeeps got New Years plans with family ect.

I'm just gonna remind everyone to come prepared if you decide to head out there. Its pretty remote, which is also what makes it so rad. Bring at least 2 bundles of firewood per person and maybe we'll have plenty.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 10:50pm
So here are some options I think will be good over the weekend. I'm doing some quick posts and you'll have to follow up to see if the run is to your liking, but if it's listed this way: Calawah forks II+ to IV that means there are multiple runs rated II+, up to IV. And the rating is for the whole run. If there is no beta on this site americanwhitewater.org has a lot of O.P. beta as well. I've learned recently Sam's has become a 4 mile hike. The Korb Book also has many descriptions of these runs.

North of Matheny
    Calawah forks II+ to IV
    Sitkum III to V
    Bogachiel II+
    Sam's IV-V
    Hoh forks II to III
    Quinault II

Matheny south
    Matheny III to IV+
    Clearwater II to III-IV
    Sollecks III-IV
    Stequaleho II-III (V+)
    Humptulips forks II to IV+
   Wynoochee II-III (V)

My A list is Jefferson Fri, the Upper Upper and/or Upper SItkum for Sat. Matheny Sun. I'm totally open to other suggestions and will go with the flow if the flow goes another way. I've done both already. Sam's in another A list possibility for Sat, but it is going to be a 4 mile hike to the put in.

That's what I got. These are all predictions. Mother Nature gives the final call. What says the peanut gallery? I'm sure I missed some runs that will be in that zone and running.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
BIGWATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BIGWATER Replybullet Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 8:28am

im up for whatever ... altho driveing from jefferson to the sitkum is a long ways , you proly wana go around the north side if you r doing that wich puts you no where near matheny ,  stikum is on the total opposite side of the peninsula from jefferson .. close to 200 mile drive

upper upper stikum is cool ,  but waterfalls r not my thing anymore (i can always walk around them to save my back)

im still up for doing laps on lower matheny its great when the queets is over 20k , play creaking ... i use a playboat ,its more like a river at that flow and has some good waves ... also running matheny top to bottom is an amazing day,  over 12 miles of great Olympic river and as of last year it  had ZERO wood, a very rare thing for runs up there

and yes sams is at least a 4 mile hike in (seemed like more).... and another 2 or 3 miles if ya wana add the upper (still havent done that) ... and the road/trail suxs it  has tank traps dug out at every creek crossing ... i also had to cut 4 trees out of the road and got a flat on the way to the first washout ..... if you dont start hiken in eary  you will have a very rushed day in there ... camping in the area the night before is almost a must to have enough time for Sams... oh one good thing is that the shuttle is much shorter now becouse the queets road blew out at matheny and they opened the pass between the forest lands and the park so people can still get to the queets campground, this saves you from driveing all the way back to 101 and back up the queets road
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 12:48pm
Hey BIGwah, would you mind updating the beta on these rivers? This isn't my zone even though I love the OP, and don't know the road system that well. What's your A list? Are you on for Jefferson tomorrow?
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 2:00pm
If Jefferson is too low Sam's look like the next likely candidate or Sitkum. I'd probably want to leave Seattle tonight for the Sitkum, though. Thoughts?
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 2:32pm
Since I'm making lists (and I know more people are coming than who've posted) here is one more. These are the folks planning on coming. Please post if you're coming and what rivers you want to hit so everyone can see and plan accordingly. It's Thursday night and time to show your hand. You might just choose a run someone else wants to get on, but doesn't know about.

Is Matheny camp also Clearwater CG? I've never picked a group camp spot out there. Also, it might be helpful for people to put there numbers up on this thread. It's possible to take a wrong turn once you get out there and not a lot of roads are marked well. Having phone numbers is a GOOD thing. ;) Cell service isn't great either.

Both days:

James
dave
AdamG
septimus prime
jP
D1
jalmquist
water wacko
BIGWATER
brig
GHannam

Sunday:

Mr Grinch
SOPBoater

Maybe no days?
PaddleGirl
MKeppler
rpmmax
myak

My number is: two woah 6 three 53 five won 01

This is my A list, and like I said before I'll go with the flow if the group wants something else.

Fri: Sam's or Sitkum
Sat: Matheny or SF Calawah or Sollecks
Sun: Matheny or EF Humptulips or Fool's Canyon
GHannam
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote GHannam Replybullet Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 2:43pm
What time are people rallying on Saturday morning? I might have to drive out early Saturday morning, but am still trying to iron out some logistics...
BIGWATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BIGWATER Replybullet Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 3:20pm

hey i just got back from Jefferson creek ... good med. flow .. duno if it will have water tommoro was dropen fast ... but it may rain a ton tonight

if it rains crazy and the nassele or moshpit are in i think thats what ill do tomoro .... if there is no rain ... sams may be good ... altho unless you leave supper early  its gona be a rushed day .... may be best to do some matheny stuff on Fri so its more chill and think about sams next day since you can camp there and have a nice early start ...

as far as camping on matheny ... the put-in for lower matheny has a large pull out near the bridge that is dry and has room for a big group.... the take-out also has good camping but its wet and smaller
the clearwater campground is nice also ....and close to the upper clearwater run and the sollecks... but its not in the matheny/ sams area ,  maby 30 min drive

feel free to call me tonight .... chris at three 6 zero  867 one nine two one
thats a land line i have no cell phone .... old school !
BIGWATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BIGWATER Replybullet Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 3:23pm

also i have at least one buddy from Oly comeing out tommro ,,, may be rallying more

PaddleGirl
McNasty
McNasty

Quote PaddleGirl Replybullet Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 4:10pm
alright, i'm in for sunday for sure. 

but i'm not sure if i'm gonna do the nf snoqualmie then drive out thing, or just drive out in the morning.  probably depends when folks are rallying.

Pretty much down for anything that isn't class V... it's all new to me.
PaddleGirl
McNasty
McNasty

Quote PaddleGirl Replybullet Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 4:13pm
** just drive out in the morning ** - means drive out on saturday morning, depending on when folks are rallying.
BIGWATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BIGWATER Replybullet Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 4:19pm
hey paddlegirl ... come out for the fun !.... but if you are driveing out sun. morning , make sure you leave supper early... like 5 or 6 am so you can hook up for the first run of the day , if we are camping there we may be starting early since daylight is limited this time of year ... or we may be all hung over i duno
BIGWATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BIGWATER Replybullet Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 4:23pm
oh you said sat morning ,,, still same deal early is good i thinks
kurle
McNasty
McNasty

Quote kurle Replybullet Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 5:03pm
kim and i might head out saturday afternoon and meet up with you guys, should be a good time!
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 5:15pm
Yeah, right about now I want to caution anyone who wants to meet us for half the weekend:

In my personal opinion it is better to rally friday night. Just gettin to Matheny involves a healthy drive. Definitely leave early if you roll out sat morn. Gwendolyn, maybe you oughtta team up w/ paddle girl? Sounds like you are leaving the same time. But here's the deal: Bret crafted up a sweet little list. There's a lot on it.

But YOU need to set some sort of agenda too. Like Bret said, now is the time to express yourselves as far as what YOU want to paddle. Hey, if I can run upper Matheny, I'm going to be game for anything. Yes I love the Sitkum and would love to go back but I'm not sure I'm fired up about the drive. Sams? Yeah I'd love to run it too, but I could just as easily hit the Humptulips or even the Wynoochee on Sunday...

I'm flexible. I can boat whatever. Jusy sayin, don't shy away because it sounds like the momentum is all going towards class V creeks. But shape the agenda the way you want and stack the deck w/ some more PPeeps who want to boat that stuff. This is a group participation thing.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
wday
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote wday Replybullet Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 5:18pm
i'll probly head out sat sometime too and try to locate the PP basecamp...!
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 5:49pm
Bret, sounds like we're gonna see each other tonite and can plan a little then. Yes, Bret- I do have the much coveted "edit" button!! BUT I earned, buddy! Ha ha ha

But Related to these last few posts: Maybe we need to hash out some better details about where to camp and rendezvous. May as well be organized about it, so PPeeps can find us.

Want to say put-in OR take out for Lower Matheney? That gives us options and allows PPeeps the means to narrow it down n figure it out.

We gotta remember we never know what we'll find when we show up. Roads could have windfall blockin the way, blown out chunx, ect.

Hell, the Bridge over Jefferson has sunk and practically torn away from the bank. This is an ever changing world in which we paddle...

Edited by jP - 29 Dec 2011 at 6:10pm
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
PaddleGirl
McNasty
McNasty

Quote PaddleGirl Replybullet Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 7:16pm
I hear ya jp, but I don't think I'm gonna be making it out Friday night, or ass early Saturday.

So I'm thinking of doing the nf snoqualmie sat then shoot on over to the op basecamp.. or I might not actually paddle sat and shoot on over to the op sat afternoon.

I'd love to camp at matheny and run matheny on sunday.... pool drop style creeking is my fave. I'm not a big fan of high water levels with big holes... I'm open though, all of these runs are new to me except for middle matheny.
Mr.Grinch
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Mr.Grinch Replybullet Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by jP

Like Bret said, now is the time to express yourselves as far as what YOU want to paddle..

My shoulder is still sub-par, and I'm 100% paddling Snoqualmie on Saturday. For Sunday, I'd like to keep it easy, depending on how my body handles Saturday. All that and I've got some funny thing going on with one finger in my right hand, don't know what that's all about.

Still, what better way to end the year and start the next?!

Of course, I am still monitoring the ocean.......but I won't let that get in the way of a soggy night in the woods with other people who are obviously crazy.
Mr.Grinch
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Mr.Grinch Replybullet Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 7:39pm
Oh, yeah, by 'easy' I mean class IV or less and runnable by mortals (suck boaters like myself) in playboats.

Also, where is the encampment planned?
<< Prev Page  of 4 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version