Professor Paddle: tent? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: tent? Post Reply Post New Topic
nelsonwoods
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Online Status: Offline
  Quote nelsonwoods Replybullet Topic: tent?
    Posted: 27 Dec 2011 at 9:26am
I'm looking for a tent that will fit in my jefe for overnight trips. what do you guys recommend that wont break my wallet? thanks
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Courtney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Whitewater,sea kayaking, snowboarding, backpacking.

Quote Courtney Replybullet Posted: 27 Dec 2011 at 9:49am
My favorite tent is the Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight CD.  It fit's one person and a dog very comfortably.  They make them to fit more though.  Here's a few questions that would help pin point down a good tent for you.  Do you want a free standing tent or non-free standing (what type of ground surface will you primarily be sleeping on)?  3 season or 4 season (will you be snow camping)?  How many people will be sleeping in it?  How often will you be using it?  What is your price range?   
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Courtney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Whitewater,sea kayaking, snowboarding, backpacking.

Quote Courtney Replybullet Posted: 27 Dec 2011 at 9:50am
One more question, is weight an issue?
nelsonwoods
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote nelsonwoods Replybullet Posted: 27 Dec 2011 at 10:15am
basically i am good with either freestanding or not. i am looking at the marmot home alone bivy.  only thing i will be using it for is kayaking overnighters and maybe the occasional backpacking trip. was going to go with the nemo gogo le but the place i was going to get it at sold out and is no longer offering them. i want something for 1 person that is light and packs small. would like to keep it under 200 if possible.
nelsonwoods
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote nelsonwoods Replybullet Posted: 27 Dec 2011 at 10:21am
would like it to be an all in one. no separate rain fly.
warlickone
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote warlickone Replybullet Posted: 27 Dec 2011 at 12:58pm
Hey,

After owning bivy sacks for some time, I finally got rid of mine. Without poles to hold the fabric up off of you, a bivy sack will get you wet from condensation. They are best for survival bivy sleeping above treeline and in the alpine environment. They are best when it's well below freezing.

I think for ultralight camping the tarp/groundcloth setup is the way to go. I'm not experienced in it, but have been around others doing it. The guys under the tarp were always way more sheltered protected and dry than the bivy folks. And, you can have a tarp system that weighs less than a gore tex bivy. With a tarp, you can get yourself and all of your gear out of the rain. With a bivy, everything inevitably gets wet if it's rainy. If you get a fancy bivy with poles and so forth, you approach or equal the weight of the lightest real tents out there. I'd say either get the lightest tent on the market, or get a tarp. Not a bivy sack.

The only reason not to tarp it would be for wind protection and insect protection. Otherwise, the tarp system looks awesome. I guess one has to get over wanting the cosy feeling of being zipped up in a tent too. Mice can crawl over your head in the night without things being zipped up. Anyway, those are my thoughts.

Have fun...
Jim 828-337-4508
GHannam
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote GHannam Replybullet Posted: 27 Dec 2011 at 1:28pm
I have a one-person, 3-season tent that I use for most of my multiday trips (kayaking, backpacking, climbing, etc...), and I love it. First and foremost though, if you're going to use it for kayaking, keep weight in mind but know you can separate the tent into pieces to help distribute the weight in your boat (very important!), and also keep in mind how small the frame pieces break down to and the max length you can store them in your boat. Secondly, know when you're going to need it and in what climates (temperature, ground cover, humidity, gear needed to be stored inside, etc...). My suggestion would be to look at Amazon. Below are a few links to some tents that were on the first page I searched on, within your price range:

Good luck!
nelsonwoods
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote nelsonwoods Replybullet Posted: 27 Dec 2011 at 1:42pm
thanks for all the tips. i have it boiled down to 2 so far.

http://www.backcountry.com/marmot-home-alone-bivy

http://www.backcountry.com/the-north-face-tadpole-23-bx-tent-2-person-3-season

the bivy is small and lightweight.  it also has poles to told it up off of my sleeping bag.  The tent is a little bigger but can be separated and spread out in the back of my boat and i can get it from rei for a lifetime warranty.

warlickone
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote warlickone Replybullet Posted: 27 Dec 2011 at 1:51pm
You're on the right track...the bivy must have some method of keeping the fabric up off of your bag. Either guy lines or poles. The bivies that are wet are the minimalist ones where the bivy is in contact with your sleeping bag. Good research.
Jim 828-337-4508
phil
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote phil Replybullet Posted: 27 Dec 2011 at 2:36pm
A friend of mine has that North Face tent and brings it on boating trips. It kicks ass, and packs down extremely small. One flaw is there's a flat spot in the middle of the fly, and if you don't seal the seams running through there carefully you can get leaks.

Bivies, on the other hand, pretty much suck.
phil
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote phil Replybullet Posted: 27 Dec 2011 at 2:38pm
Also in wet weather, single wall tents are no good. You do want a separate rainfly, you'll stay drier.
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 27 Dec 2011 at 3:07pm
http://www.backcountry.com/msr-hubba-tent-1-person-3-season
Half the weight for a not much more than the TNF tadpole. Bet you could find it online cheaper somewhere, and you can set it up with just the fly and footprint or the whole thing.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 12:17am
I rock two tarps:

1) any old cheap tarp for a ground cloth
2) Kelty "Noah's Tarp" for shelter. I recommend the 12' size. Some cord to tie it to branches and trees.

3) collapesable pole optional.

I've found this basic setup to be lighter and less bulky than most tents. Quite adequate for this region in most conditions.

Edited by jP - 28 Dec 2011 at 12:18am
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jondufay
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote jondufay Replybullet Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 9:09am
Agree with warlick. If you use a bivy, make sure you put on dry base layers ( that is where a good portion of moisture comes from) and get some ventilation going. That being said, my set up of choice is the ultra light tarp and bivy combo...tried and true in many rain storms.
ahh, f--- it dude, lets go boating...
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 11:06am
Yeah, I often bring a bivvy sac to put my sleepn bag in, but moisture management is critical.

Noah's Tarp is smartly designed, and about $70. The only limitations to how you set it up lie in your own imagination. Admittedly it helps to have at least one tree to string off of. But, look around. Where are we? Pretty much always at least one tree available.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
nelsonwoods
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote nelsonwoods Replybullet Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 1:34pm
i like the msr hubba tent that ellingferd recommended.  its small, compact, lightweight, and freestanding. soon as i get paid on the first, gonna get it from rei. thanks for all the tips and help on this topic. hopefully we still get to do the green trip next month so i can try it out.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version