Professor Paddle: Food for thought... vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Food for thought... Post Reply Post New Topic
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tiziak Replybullet Topic: Food for thought...
    Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 12:10pm
A horrible way to bring these points and questions to light, but there are some solid perspectives to absorb in here.

Death on the Upper Blackwater

Stay SAFE!!
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 1:04pm
Terrible news, I did not read the exact post you saw B, but it seems BT still flames on.

I know this is off topic but does anyone else have a hard time figuring out how to read those posts... it takes me half an hour to figure out who said what and when outside of the direct hierarchy.

Oh well.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 1:49pm
The only thing I learned from that post is that guy is an asshole. Elitism needs to leave this sport, particularly when commenting on someone's tragic and untimely death.
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 2:36pm
Here's some more useful info that I found at www.npmb.com:

-Site of the fatality with comments relating to a prior drowning at the same site.
http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/Article/view/articleid/31009/

-WV news article.
http://www.wvmetronews.com/news.cfm?func=displayfullstory&storyid=50210

-Jay
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 2:45pm

They layout of the forum is complete garbage, making it very difficult to quickly follow in a cohesive timeline.

I do think there are some valid points in there.

Obviously there are better ways to get info out there and I'm not sure that the best time to be doing it is while the guy's friends and family are google-ing  (sp?) everything and anything about the run he died on. That being said, this stuff only comes up when there is an issue and something goes wrong.

I was pretty put off at first, until I read the entire thread (as of about 1pm). I think it’s worth digesting.

If for nothing else, it was worth internalizing. I've been routed down runs I had no business being on. Make you appreciate your fate so far.

If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
Jule
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Jule Replybullet Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 10:16am
First hand account of the accident:

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/Accident/detail/accidentid/3589/
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by James

Terrible news...I know this is off topic but does anyone else have a hard time figuring out how to read those posts... it takes me half an hour to figure out who said what and when outside of the direct hierarchy.Oh well.

Boater Talk sucks for that reason: I consider it an unuseable resource due to the design flaws of its site. Its a deal breaker for me so I never check it out.

But I can't feel like I'm missing much. Mostly sensationalist reactions to each others' posts. But if Tiziak says he found some thought provoking stuff in there, I don't doubt it.

I read the AW accident report, and it seemed as "complete" as it could be, despite the bias of the individuals present (and I don't mean any disrespect at all, just saying that the account is inevitably going to be distorted by those present- but its human nature and we can be confident they did everything they could).

For what its worth that is a spookiy drop to stare down the barrel of, if it is the one I recall (haven't paddled it since the mid 90's):
You gotta stay on the center of a huge slide that narrows down almost to a point, with gravity pulling off to either side. You know what it reminds me of? The center line of China Falls on the Cle Elum. Different consequences though. It wouldn't be too hard to let yourself slip offline to the left the way Mr. Norr did. But with some of these class V moves, you just don't have a margin big enough to afford being 6" off line.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 4:03pm
And, to put the whole run in perspective, Its steep like the LW, with the Gnar factor of Robe. I think it changes a lot like Robe, too. It has a simlar, rough hewn jagged nature. Not as "polished" as many of the other runs in the general WV nieghborhood.

Plenty of fatalities and assorted horror stories are associated with that run.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by Ellingferd

The only thing I learned from that post is that guy is an asshole. Elitism needs to leave this sport, particularly when commenting on someone's tragic and untimely death.

Now I agree with you and everyone else who expressed being put off by this asshole's insensitive comments. The flaming that was spoken of on the Boater Talk thread was disrespectful to say the least.

We can't be judgemental of the victom or his qualifications if we didn't know him personally or see him boat. And people get all sensational (almost like we are at risk of doing now) when they don't have all, or any, of the info.

Bottom line is that this instant Web Yakkin we are able to do all the time lends itself to people being able to express themselves faster than they can reflect on what they really should express, and how they should express it.

As far as boating class V when you don't really got skills to be there yet, well, the cold hard truth is, most paddlers cutting their teeth in the class V realm are probably guilty of this. Why? Because they are too impatient to really develope solid fundementals before launching into class V. You need more than just a solid roll. Sometimes you can't afford to flip, or, to be more than 3-6" off line at the crux spot where ya gotta execute the critical move.

I'm not at all suggesting this was Mr. Norr's case. Didn't know him. Can't/won't try to evaluate whether he "should have been there".

Just saying to those wanting to "step it up":
How bout you learn how to "watch your step" instead? Learn to boat smooth and stay out of trouble. My love of the sport rests more in the sensation of boating smooth and in control more than in some quest to "run the gnar". Free your mind, and your boat will follow.

That said, sometimes your number just comes up. The "law of averages" is also an evil mistress of the river, and can sometimes be very unfair.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version