Professor Paddle: Help BC: Comment Period for Big Silver/Shovel/etc vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Help BC: Comment Period for Big Silver/Shovel/etc Post Reply Post New Topic
stefano
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote stefano Replybullet Topic: Help BC: Comment Period for Big Silver/Shovel/etc
    Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 3:18pm
Hi everyone

I'd just like to bring to your attention that today, until Feb 9, is the comment period for the proposed hydro developments on the three above noted creeks. Here's a link to the BC EAO webpage - the comment forms can be found in the left hand navigation menu.

http://www.eao.gov.bc.ca/

Every voice counts!

You can find the information that is directly related to kayak recreation in the three navigation assessments, found in the three links below. This is the basis of the proposed mitigation measures.

Tretheway: http://a100.gov.bc.ca/appsdata/epic/documents/p326/d33959/1325713372961_bc5695953c488917d15f01fd7a4e35ea941ee14eb041ab8e46f8cdc2a64cf0cd.pdf

Shovel: http://a100.gov.bc.ca/appsdata/epic/documents/p327/d33956/1325708783091_7abf8e77679fd2255bc1a37076d4f46f782626aafb958bec3304f12c106fb007.pdf

Big Silver: http://a100.gov.bc.ca/appsdata/epic/documents/p325/d33955/1325710670712_bc5695953c488917d15f01fd7a4e35ea941ee14eb041ab8e46f8cdc2a64cf0cd.pdf

Of note: the development of Statlu Creek has been dropped from this group of projects. That's good news in the short term - we just have to wait and see what happens next on that front.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
fiddleyak
McNasty
McNasty

Quote fiddleyak Replybullet Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 4:46pm
Done.
Thanks for all the work you do to protect these places, Steve.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
BRoss
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BRoss Replybullet Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 7:48pm
Interesting to look through those documents. They seem to give weight to the importance of documentation of these runs (and any/all runs) through any means possible, including blogs and websites.
"That boated a lot better than it looked." "It always does until it doesn't."
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 9:25am
Who developed those documents?

I would change the Big Silver's upper run to Class IV and make more imphasis on the number of paddlers that do target that run in conjunction with the Nahatlatch. When you head over Kookipi pass it becomes a great combo that is running at the same time. I have done that twice now and would love to do it again.

I know folks from Portland that have done the same trip so it is popular and would be terrible to loose it. I will be sure to chime in with my 2 centalos.

stefano
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote stefano Replybullet Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 12:52pm
These assessments were developed by a contractor called Typlan.  This company (a one man show as far as I know) has situated themselves with the developers in SW BC as the go-to guys for this sort of thing.  They have done assessments for all the recent project, including the Skookum project which hasn't been made public yet.

Unfortunately, while the assessments state consultation with users is a top priority it seems that their 'consultation' simply involved data mining the internet using google.  Anybody could find what is in that document with 20 minutes online.  As far as I know, no persons have been contacted, nor has there been any inquiries about these projects on public forums like this one or others in BC.  Obviously, this means 1) many days of use go unaccounted for and 2) people with an interest in preserving navigation are effectively not consulted when in the creation of these documents, despite the claim that this is of high priority for them.

This, and several other important issues, are some of the things we will be addressing at the open house that will be held on Jan 19 in Chilliwack.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 3:02pm
Well I wish I could be there for the meeting but it ain't gonna happen. Is there a telephone in conference style option. I would do that for sure.
stefano
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote stefano Replybullet Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 12:40am
Here is an update:

http://www.liquidlore.blogspot.com/2012/01/preserve-navigation-on-big-silver-and.html

The open house went well, however only written comments are officially considered.  Send in your comments when you can!
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 10:49am
Submitted, never paddled shovel but I will comment on that one too.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version