Professor Paddle: Coorinating HH dm release vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Coorinating HH dm release Post Reply Post New Topic
not-very-clever
Super Looper
Super Looper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote not-very-clever Replybullet Topic: Coorinating HH dm release
    Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 7:30pm
I am curious about the dam operations at the Howard Hansen dam. I have talked to the dam people over the phone. The dam receptionist put me in contact with the dam manager, and they said they simply release the dam flow at the same rate as the inflow.
The are pros and cons this type of dam operation. And probably reasons I dont even understand.

I have never been kayaking where there is a dam that will release water based on desires for WW enthusiasts but I think it would be awesome.

We could have a dam infiltration. Basically someone needs to put in a dam resume and work your way to the top of the dam operations.

OR we could try to pay them off. For example the raft companies could put up money to favor more water on the weekends.
Take this weekend for example, the flows were low all weekend and then they will have to release a bunch during the week, the forcast was obvious. And their forcasting is getting even better

I have heard dam rumors about WW folks being involved with the HH dam folk.

What if the default flow was 1500 dam cfs? And favored higher flows when possible.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 10:13pm
If you have more money than the city of Tacoma, you can have all the water you want.
Nomad
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 10:35am
Oh and thanks for making that Dam post N.V.C. as I read through it, I was impressed with your capacity for textual articulation. Your vernacular capacity could be an asset to working on our balls in the future.
BRoss
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BRoss Replybullet Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 11:24am
Thanks for the explanation Slickhorn.

I had no idea that the FERC renewal was only 10 years ago. Pretty amazing that AW wasn't right on top of that. What was AW doing ten years ago, participating in the Nisqually La Grand Canyon flow studies?

I bet if the Green was on the east coast there would be at least some scheduled releases throughout the summer. I know that there is commercial rafting on the Green now.... but if there were releases all summer? It would be a top destination. I'd have to think that the local community would get behind that too, for the economic boost.

30 years huh, too bad!   Well, hopefully I'll still be cruising the rio then!
"That boated a lot better than it looked." "It always does until it doesn't."
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 11:33am
chipmaney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote chipmaney Replybullet Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 9:11pm
My guess is, AW was involved in FERC re-liscencing to the extent they were allowed to have a voice. The fact is, the Green has numerous major interests not found in most other watersheds that take precedent over kayaking. These interests include but are not limited to drinking water supply for a major city, the Endangered Species Act, tribal interests, and downstream flood management in an area with the densest population in the state.

I am kayak-first type of guy and a major believer in conservation, but I am also a realist. The Green is the most populous watershed in the state, and kayakers simply don't get much of a voice.

So my sense is that AW most likely did as best it could but did not really receive a seat at the table. I for one applaud AW's stewardship efforts, which vastly surpass other entities striving to protect our whitewater interests.
sitting all alone on a mountain by a river that has no end
chipmaney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote chipmaney Replybullet Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by James

<element style=": progid:DXTrans.Microsoft.name(sProperties)">

Oh and thanks for making that Dam post N.V.C. as I read through it, I was impressed with your capacity for textual articulation. Your vernacular capacity could be an asset to working on our balls in the future. <a href="css_styles/default_style.css">
</element>

I think the phrase you are looking for James, is "rhetorical flourish". Vernacular, defined as a dialectical form of oral communication, means exactly the opposite of that which your diction apparently intends to connote.
sitting all alone on a mountain by a river that has no end
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by BRoss

I know that there is commercial rafting on the Green now.... but if there were releases all summer? It would be a top destination. I'd have to think that the local community would get behind that too, for the economic boost.

Har har har- I'd have thought that too if not for the intrigueing phoenomenon know as (not such) Intelligent Design. Local communities seem to overlook the opportunities to create their very own little tourist economies based on the influx of rafters.

And its sad- because I've seen plenty of places succeed at this: Mom n Pop businesses that sprout up and make a pleasant living for themselves. It could be lack of investment capital, or lack of imagination.

Whatever. Its fodder for another thread.

The Green? Damn all I gotta say is living so close to this dry river is killin me. But you know what? I don't have the time or the interest to figure out all these "HH complexities". There are hundreds of other runs in this state. And half the time when the Green does run, its in direct competition w/ something else that rarely runs.

'Bout over it

The Green is like that rad girl that isn't actively blowing you off- but still: she's never around. Never available.

Why bother?

I gotta move close to a different river.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
not-very-clever
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote not-very-clever Replybullet Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 9:10am
JP that is f**king bullsh*t.  not worth the time? fu*k that, paradise ledge is the best play feature on the west side of the cascades and i think it is worth the time.

I just moved down here from b-compton where the nooksack is always flowing. i am getting pist off that the green is MAN controlled and is never running.

i dont think it is off topic to start talking about raft companies putting up money to get weekend flows or scheduled releases.  If the green ran consistently it could be more popular than the snatchie or the white salmon for rafting companies....  New thread? sure. we could probably get grant money from AW to pursue this.  BUT it is ALWAYS! about money... so we should try to put up

Okay here is some food for thought:
DURING THE NIGHT TIME TURN OFF THE DAM FLOW SO THERE CAN BE MORE WATER DURING THE DAY TIME. -problem solved.

We live in a unique situation because of the fish and the tribes.  i assume its like walking on egg shells whenever a WW dude wants the dam to release more water and there are all of these other interests involved...

and thats nuts that we cant get a cooperation for flows for the green river clean up!! are you kidding me?  stewardship doesn't count for anything?

Stewardship is probably our only hope
not-very-clever
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote not-very-clever Replybullet Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 9:44am
alright alright alright... i have just been bummed that i have lived down here for almost 5 months and paradise has almost never been in
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 10:14am
But alas N.V.C. your complaint sounds identical to JPs and Brian and JP are suggesting the exact same remedy.... Burn some carbon and maybe visit the carbon..... Regardless I think that folks can be pretty thankful when you look at things in a different light. IE, would you enjoy living in Scottsdale, AZ. All of a sudden 700cfs trips down the green could be pretty rad. Lets not forget that we are rather spoiled in general compared to the rest of the country to begin with as far as runs and water goes... So turn that frown upside down and go scrape a little plastic off your boat!!!

Oh and PS there is a rad surf wave with an amazing eddy, spins, baby blunts, loops it can serve it all up. All you gotta do is explore in lower water.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 1:00pm
You're right, NVC, it is bullsh*t. But I solidly stand behind that bullsh*t. Slick's right: I'm just grouchy. A lot.

I do appreciate the Green, would love to boat it more, but its so complicated and this state is LITTERALLY TEEMING WITH WHITEWATER YEAR ROUND from the boarder to OR.

We tend to over inflate our perceptions based on what is important to us, but alas we are a small group (boaters).

And Washington's raft industry is all F'd up. Not sure why. We have occassional discussions about that too.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 6:13pm
Sorry dude, I ain't gonna let you pull the string on the "jP the talking raft guide doll".

I actually just launched into a lengthy essay about the WA raft company scene and why it seems to struggle collectively as an industry, but I hit the "Clear Form" button.

I'm just a guide, and not an owner. So while I have my opinions, they aren't as iron clad with gold leaf and a skim coat of bullsh*t like my opinions about kayaking and river running. I'd be talkin out of my ass (I know thats all most of you think I ever do anyway but I know better). You'd be better off asking a company owner.

I think one of the problems, to sum it up briefly, is simply TOO MANY RIVERS TO RAFT. Companies end up spread thin out of a need to compete with each other by running lots of different rivers.
Just driving back and forth between them all is costly in money and time. The more succesful ones seem to stay consolidated on one to three nearby rivers.

Adding the Green to the mix when you can't get a full season out of it seems to me like it would just add to the "spread too thin problem". But its true that its close to Seattle and I think it would make for a better trip than the Sky if reliable flows could be achieved.

I think Alpine runs the Green. You could ask them. I think you may be barkin up the wrong tree, or at least wasting you bark. But, I could be wrong.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Dale
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Dale Replybullet Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 10:02am
JP said, "...Washington's raft industry is all F'd up."

I think some reasons that WA has such hodge podge rafting is because:

On the West side of the mountains, the water/air temperature is predictably COLD as compared to the rafting opportunities in the East,not to mention overcast and rainy.

On the Ocoee in Tennessee, some of the coldest weather/water they raft in are not too much colder/nastier than nice summer days on the Sky. Most of Ocoee season, the air temps are in the upper 80's, 90's and even over 100. Good swimming weather, no? It can be a bit cold and rainy in March or October, but over all, it's friggen HOT in Tennessee. By the end of summer, the water is warm, like bath water.

It's COLD out here people. Really. It is. That is a huge limiting factor for a lot of people and therefore businesses.

Also, most of the dam release runs in the East are grouped up to where 1 company can easily run operations on 2 or more "dam release" rivers. Consistent flows are easier to manage than the big spring flows, such as are found on the Wenatchee or the big fluctuations as are found on the Sky and other non-dam release rivers. Ocoee is around 1200-1400cfs through most of it's season and only rarely gets too big for business(businesses have to get off the river if flows reach 3000cfs). These consistent flows makes it much easier to train guides and have a predictable experience for the customer.

Also, these grouped up runs are near huge population centers(multiple large cities). The Seattle area is pretty decent size, but, rafting businesses still have a relatively small group of potential customers, as compared to the East. The NorthWest is big, spread out and sparsely populated.

It should also be noted that being in the Bible Belt is a huge boon for rafting companies, who advertise heavily to churches and particularly youth groups. In the East, raft customers are probably 75 percent church youth groups. It's a huge, organized pool of people to tap into.

It should also be noted that the reason these dams release water in some cooperation with paddlers is all about capitalism, not .orgs. Hard dollars brought in by aspiring rafting businesses opened up there runs. Did any business entities attempt to get regular flows on the Green? Seems like a tough place to try to make money.

Also, I don't think the Green has the reservoir capacity to do a ton of releasing. There reservoirs look kind of smallish to me.

I'm pretty happy that the Green is a nice, quite undeveloped gorge, instead of a commercial amusement park such as the Ocoee, Nanty, Gauley etc...

There is a sh*t ton of water out here and I'm loving it, but... I'm not surprised at all that the rafting industry is a bit thin out here.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 11:55am
Not to be the purveyor of obvious, but the Army Corp has been reading your plight and bumped the flow just for you.... perhaps that is not the case but the rio's runnin..
BIGWATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BIGWATER Replybullet Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 1:36pm
first, leme say that paradice is nice , but its got nothing on the Tilton playhole

second, i like the fact that when things go huge they hold the green back , then a few days later when all other runs are droping they crank it up to 4 or 5k... its like they extend the bigwater event....  anyways you gota learn to love that dam Dam cuz its here to stay (or at least they hope it is)
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 3:08pm
Yup, Dale- those are all basic reasons why this region has trouble runnin the numbers.

And I'm with you: I like the fact that the Green is only 45min from Seattle, and that it feels so remote. Glad it isn't Dysneyfied. Its just tough to live 15 min from it and never be able to run it. But, I can't get off on the Upper Gorge when it's boney. I'll happily drive to Granite Falls. Maybe I'll try to sceme up a way to move closer to there. Everette or somethin.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jondufay
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote jondufay Replybullet Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by jP

Maybe I'll try to sceme up a way to move closer to there. Everette or somethin.
Watch it Dr Pizzle,
  The dirty E aint no place for the faint of heart.  sh*t be real here. We don't take too kindly to latte sippin', tight jean wearin', fixxed gear ridin', organic beet eatin' urban hipsters from the big city.  Just kidding dude, I would love it if a few more boaters found their way here...

Edited by jondufay - 25 Jan 2012 at 3:24pm
ahh, f--- it dude, lets go boating...
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 6:50pm
Who you callin a latte sippin', tight jean wearin', fixxed gear ridin', organic beet eatin' urban hipster? You got me confused with Ellingferd!

And don't be dissin my Organic Beets- makes my pee red to match my Diablo. It's good for writing "jP wuz here" at those snowy put ins.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version