Professor Paddle: Ramp for April paddle fest? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Ramp for April paddle fest? Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
Jule
Paddler
Paddler

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jule Replybullet Topic: Ramp for April paddle fest?
    Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 3:45pm
The UW Kayak Club is planning a big bash somewhere around the middle of April. It'll be happening right in town at the UW docks by Montlake Cut, and the whole paddling community is invited! We were also thinking of inviting the PP Ball Ramp - what do you guys think, would you be interested in joining forces? We don't yet know what the bureaucratic forces will have to say about a ramp, we'll cross that creek when we come to it.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 2:44am
Since its on a lake and not on a river you may want to ensure those who ramp it are qualified. That they know how to kayak. That they won't yank out their shoulder or get a bloody nose on a river board or something. Have them sign waivers. You're gonna want to make sure the event does'nt take on Jackass proportions and jump the shark.

Personally I don't think PP should be involved. Smells like liabiliity. I personally won't. This sport doesn't need to be promoted. Flows permitting I'll be out on Robe canyon instead. Not into pond games. Whitewater boats belong on kinetic water.

Now, of course I expect to be in the minority w/ my opinion, but, you did ask so I told you. I'll be out on the river as far away from that as possible.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Jule
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Jule Replybullet Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 4:25am
JP, thanks for setting me straight. Instead, we'll have a 3 foot plastic playground slide set up for all the pool-reared pros to show their stuff. 
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 6:59am
Jule, the ramp might be a bit jarring for your event, but I'm sure it'll be a good time anyway :) The Robe Race is an April event as well, but it probably won't fall on your weekend. PP liability? I'm not the one to say. I'll go off the ramp if ya put one up.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 9:01am
Jule it is unlikely that without significant assistance, involvement and financial support you will have a ramp set up. You have to rent scaffolding, buy consumables (screws, plastic lattice, straps, etcc) on top of having the Ramp it self. Find 10 people to help do the transport, assembly and of course work out the liability with the land owner, your association etc.. it is not a small undertaking. Not trying to discourage you but having the actual frame is not the biggest obstacle your going to have.
fiddleyak
McNasty
McNasty

Quote fiddleyak Replybullet Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 9:45am
Of course there will be some bureaucratic hurdles, but your festival will be way more awesome if you set up a ramp.
I'd don't think the ramp will be any more dangerous on a lake than the slowly flowing Wenatchee River.
Hope you keep the stoke going and make this happen!
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 10:58am
Originally posted by James

Jule it is unlikely that without significant assistance, involvement and financial support you will have a ramp set up. You have to rent scaffolding, buy consumables (screws, plastic lattice, straps, etcc) on top of having the Ramp it self. Find 10 people to help do the transport, assembly and of course work out the liability with the land owner, your association etc.. it is not a small undertaking. Not trying to discourage you but having the actual frame is not the biggest obstacle your going to have.
Plus you need a bunch of drunk kayakers to set the ramp up, which requires massive amounts of Ranger beer and alcohol.  
Nomad
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 7:19pm
Adam?
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 7:23pm
Sorry, Jule- like I said I'm in the minority. I just figured I'd come out swingin right off the bat and stake down the extreme opposite end of this spectrum. It's what I do.

Originally posted by Jule

...for all the pool-reared pros to show their stuff. 

The reason I come out so hard with the anti-ramp stance is this: "pool reared pros" these days all tend to be drawing the cart before the horse. They know how to roll, know how to cartwheel, but don't know the first thing about paddling a boat in a straight line. You see, increasingly, whitewater kayakers don't ever learn how to properly paddle a kayak.

This is not an opinion. This is FACT.
Too bad scores of paddlers in the past got injured and died to learn real skills that New School Punks don't even know exist. Because, armed with the Old School Knowledge most of the Whitewater Communitty has discarded, more of these so-called "pool reared pros" could actually progress faster than they already do.

Instead I hardly ever see any pool jockey kids on the river at all. And the modern class IV crowd seems to cap out on CC Stilly when, if they knew how to drive a boat, they could be rippin' up Robe. Ramps are cool if you have a three-axis sense and a bag of tricks to huck, I'm just saying that novice kayakers of any stripe would be better served learning to paddle in a straight line on pure flatwater. Even for only three two hour sessions or so.

Sound boring? You can't get Bruce Lee without doing a little "wax on wax off". My point is, you can't reinvent the wheel. All the New School skills are cool, don't get me wrong. But, there's no reason to shoot in the dark about the rest of whitewater kayaking, or discard skills that were painstakingly learned and are still relevant. It's been figured out for decades now. Moving forward, its important to retain the foundations that got us where we are so we can keep refining it, that's all.

But, I ain't complaining, because my favorite runs remain uncrowded.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 8:37pm
I see pool-reared pros on the river, and to be fair, in the pool is one of the places where you learn and hone skills that carry you through, around, and out of trouble on the river - so please don't get miffed JP, but it seems a little contradictory to say that you need to get back to basics but then give people a hard time for good old pool practice.  I've rolled up in a lot of crappy places (yes, some swims in there too, but plenty of decent rolls) and that's mostly due to the muscle memory I developed through hundreds and hundreds of pool rolls - which I still work on, and probably always will, especially when my river roll starts to get weak, as it occasionally does.

I understand there's a trend for people to blast out into difficult water before they've learned the basics, that's just human nature, and I haven't been around long enough to have seen things change over to becoming more that way - but I don't see the basis for assuming that the UKC epitomizes that trend, I personally have no idea, I just know they're a group of people who love to kayak.

On another note JP, if you do ever do a clinic or something I would be totally up for some Old School Knowledge, I'm probably not the only one.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a paddle.
PaddleGirl
McNasty
McNasty

Quote PaddleGirl Replybullet Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 8:39am
Originally posted by irened

On another note JP, if you do ever do a clinic or something I would be totally up for some Old School Knowledge, I'm probably not the only one.

seconded.
fiddleyak
McNasty
McNasty

Quote fiddleyak Replybullet Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 9:37am
JP,
I'm with Irene on this one. You aren't making a whole lot of sense. Beginners should be spending more time on a lake and less time in a pool? And this would help people progress from CC Stilly to Robe? You seem to enjoy having the online alter ego of a crotchety old man, when in fact you are neither.

Jule,
UW has been seriously dropping the ball on marketing yourselves as a top-notch paddling school. I mean, look at Bellingham. In the last couple years they've got something like 10 sh*t-runners, most of whom still have to worry about minor-in-possession. Even UPS has one, although until recently he seemed to prioritize playing tennis over paddling. And what about UW? I think I've met some UW paddlers on FITW a few years ago, but they seemed like grad students. Robe, or god-forbid Ernie's...never. You guys seriously need to step it up! Seattle is an awesome place to be a paddler. Look at our local race results: no Bellinghamster has ever taken the Robe. Maybe a kick-ass festival with the PP-ramp is just the ticket to putting yourselves on the map, as you should be.

As I side note, I'm excited about the ramp 'cause I work 5 minutes away. At PP ball I'm always so focused on kayaking that the ramp holds little appeal. But if I could go practice some tricks at my lunch break? I'm in.
Dale
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Dale Replybullet Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 10:28am
I only know one person personally who has broken their back after launching off a ramp in a kayak.

Ramps are so... 2000.

UW could step it up a notch with the Kayak Catapult!!!

Gravity be damned. We are men. We need MORE POWER!!!

There's a guy who tosses pianos via catapult for giggles. If you think you may want to utilize his expertise, just let me know.

and then, there's this... http://youtu.be/RR8HKxtRUvM
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 10:58am
...or    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67fFDiPRsrk

Human trebuchet
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
NateW
McNasty
McNasty

Quote NateW Replybullet Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 1:09pm
Build a massive in the water slingshot that you can attach to the back of a boat and fire people across the water like a skipping rock. Also have a wet t-shirt contest.
up4air
McNasty
McNasty

Quote up4air Replybullet Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by jP

get a bloody nose on a river board or something.

Hey now I resemble that remark. And it's not like I made any issue out of it.
More water, please.
Jule
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Jule Replybullet Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 3:24pm
I love you people! Always good for a heated discussion spiced up with speculation, trash talking, and tangents. That's how the passion shows!

So to clarify: the lake party will happen on April 15, and presumably the next day we'll have an event on the river. The lake fun will include lots of old-fashioned boating skills like FLATWATER RACES, boat yoga, BBQing, and beer drinking. And we were thinking that a ramp might be a great thing to have in order to attract the larger boating community.

People come to UW because they're serious about academics, and that's often not compatible with getting out a whole ton. The UKC has actually been super active, with several formal beginner classes every year, trips most weekends, and we have built up a really sweet collection of gear. 20 bucks a quarter! The problem is convincing experienced boaters that they should be spending their time coddling beginners, but really, people have been extremely generous with their time.
BrianP
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BrianP Replybullet Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 4:42pm
I joined for a quarter last year, went out as a safety boater on a couple beginner trips but beyond that there didn't seem to be many trips happening. I get the emails and subscribed to the FB page, but found more luck finding people to paddle with here. Are these weekend trips thrown together unofficially or am I missing something?

As for the river events..what are you thinking? I'm with Dale, catapults are the FUTURE!!
Lynn Wang
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Lynn Wang Replybullet Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by fiddleyak

UW has been seriously dropping the ball on marketing yourselves as a top-notch paddling school. I mean, look at Bellingham. In the last couple years they've got something like 10 sh*t-runners, most of whom still have to worry about minor-in-possession. Even UPS has one, although until recently he seemed to prioritize playing tennis over paddling. And what about UW? I think I've met some UW paddlers on FITW a few years ago, but they seemed like grad students. Robe, or god-forbid Ernie's...never. You guys seriously need to step it up! Seattle is an awesome place to be a paddler. Look at our local race results: no Bellinghamster has ever taken the Robe. Maybe a kick-ass festival with the PP-ramp is just the ticket to putting yourselves on the map, as you should be

This proposed map could be used as a marketing tool for those prospective students who are on the fence about which paddling institution they want to attend. This map should include for each institution data points such as: average population (i.e. sperm count) and size of the local area (would this be measured in cold or warm weather?). This reference would allow the comparison of the worthiness of each institution based on the caliber of paddling opportunities of each club or should I say caliper?

Many of us ukc members are often going on runs that are appropriate for our skill level. Many of us are trying to "step it up" because we enjoy the sport/extracirricular activity. We also enjoy paddling together and watching each other improve.

Fiddleyak, you know your stats on local collegiate whitewater standings. Next time I want to put a bet down-I know where to go for the beta.

Jule stated this was a "paddle fest", not a whitewater exclusive fest.     
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 5:36pm
...and people have been railing on this event a little.
rokmnky
McNasty
McNasty

Quote rokmnky Replybullet Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 9:26am
Sorry to chime in so late. The ramp is just sitting in my yard and only gets used once a year at the ball so I would love to have any other opportunity to whip it out.

As James pointed out there are some logistics that need to be covered. Scaffolding rental is the biggest. We can get you a list of the scaffolding we rented the last couple of years and most companies will deliver and pick up for a minimal fee.

Second is transport. It will take 1 full size  pick up with an open bed for the ramp portion and someone willing to drive a 20ft section on their roof for the lead in section. A big van with a roof rack works great for that although with proper precaution most any vehicle will work.

Third is the consumables. I have to inventory what we have leftover from last year for the plastic lattice, screws, etc. This is a pretty minimal cost.

Lastly is manpower. It will take 6 people minimum and the better part of a day. More people can make it go faster to a point but you'll need time at the site before and after the event to set up and tear down.

The only other thing to consider is that flat water landings can really hurt. If you land flat hull, all the force is going into your spine. Participants need to be aware of this and sign waivers. You also need safety boaters, especially on a lake, just in case someone does get hurt.

If this works for you then its a go. I would be stoked to get the ramp out. I built it for everyone and would love to get more use out of it other than a yard ornament. PM me and we can catch up with details.
fiddleyak
McNasty
McNasty

Quote fiddleyak Replybullet Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 10:13am
Sorry if my post was a little abrasive, I didn't mean to offend anyone.
It's just interesting to me that WWU is considered a top destination as a paddling school by up-and-coming paddlers. I believe UW has just as good of whitewater, and it's superior academics should give it an edge to some people making the choice.
I ended up choosing my University based on academics, and regretted the decision because I couldn't paddle as much as I wanted and had to drive long distances whenever I did paddle. If I had known more about UW I may have gone to school here.
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 11:52am
Originally posted by rokmnky

The ramp is just sitting in my yard and only gets used once a year at the ball so I would love to have any other opportunity to whip it out.

Adam, you know you just missed a stellar opportunity to say, "Excuuuse me while I whip this out." :)

Am really interested to see how this all turns out, I think it's great UW is having a paddle-fest!  Let's get some SUP'ers out there and really ruffle some feathers.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a paddle.
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 12:17pm
I'll put up $10 for the first SUP'er going off that ramp!!   
STLboater
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote STLboater Replybullet Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 12:48pm
I gotta comment on pool kayaking - It is an incredible tool that we use at UPS to not only introduce kids to kayaking - but also get them out on the river.  Sure some flail, but I've seen so many kids hit combat rolls their first time on the river.  You can't deny that. 

JP you especially can appreciate this next fact.  Do you kayak to be on the river, or do you kayak to huck some sh*t.  I know what i'm going to be doing the rest of my life - and I will see you there JP!

Haters gonna hate on the pool.
Anyone want to go to the UPS pool sesh tonight
Kayak Academy Whitewater Instructor
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version