Professor Paddle: Big Clean Green, Sunday!! vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Big Clean Green, Sunday!! Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 8:24pm

I need support right now. Maybe our resident New Age boater will drop some Watery Wackiness into this discussion, and save it from broken record low common denominator mediocrity, which is where we managed to drag it.

C'mon Bret!
Tell 'em all (except Dave, James, and Slick-they already have their established preferential flow-modes, guys I'm not trying to influence you you got your own charcs going strong already) something inspirational about climbing into a 8' long plastic broomstick, skirt'n up, and casting spells with both paddle blades of the magic wand. Taming that water dragon and riding its back with its complete permission and cooperation, Laughing With the Water Nymph style.

Or Perhaps an essay from BIGWATER on BIGWATER? He can relate his experiences of cartwheeling intentionally into the Dragon's Jaws to get tumbled and tickled by the Dragon's toungue. On the edge of scary at times, but when the Dragon spits ya out, he smiles at ya w/ love. That's a universal experience that any boater can relate too, but an experience enhanced and hieghtened by hieghtened water levels if you are in the right zone.

I'm talkin bout some Mr. Mojo Risin sh*t: Break On Through To The Other Side. It can be done on any class of whitewater. But more water helps to lubricate the passage required to get there. It's a physical thing. A vibrational frequency.

I like casual floats, too. But that's not what I'm talkin bout on this thread. That's another thread.

Edited by jP - 27 Feb 2012 at 8:28pm
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 6:13am
Well, I'm not the New Ager, but I'll put my two cents in anyway - hopefully this will not be making it worse, although it would probably not be the first time. :)

It seems like in the beginning JP's main point was just that the Green at higher flows is a great place to step things up and a real gem of a run because of how the character changes, and Dave was just saying it's also a gem of a run at lower flows too, in a different way.  In that respect I agree with James, in that you're both right, in my opinion.

I think where people start feeling like there's an issue popping up is when something can be interpreted as saying that the stepping it up route is the loftier goal, which would leave out a lot of people who love the sport and everything that goes with being on the river but who don't have the desire or time or resources to always be pushing towards more challenging whitewater.  I basically have the kind of personality that is always trying to do something harder (which is not to say always better, unfortunately ;), but I find that if I don't paddle more than once a week it gets hard to progress, so even just the time factor leaves out some people who don't have a ton of spare time - not that I do either, but I at least have some flexibility on scheduling.  And I don't necessarily think that my approach to paddling is better than maybe someone else who can style a Class III in perfect comfort and happiness and is happy to keep doing that, or who is challenged by whatever level they're on even if it's less difficult, but who absolutely loves whitewater and enjoys themselves every time they paddle.  So I'll admit I get a little defensive on behalf of those people when I hear the term 'Muggles' - maybe also because my Harry Potter spells never seem to work on the river. :)  ("Ex-hydraulicus!" has been a big disappointment so far.)

Anyway, the ironic thing is that based on all my conversations with JP and pretty much everything I've read of his posts, I have the feeling he is of the same mindset on that score, although correct me if I'm wrong JP.  I think the point originally was really just about how stellar the Green is at higher flows and that it creates an awesome opportunity for people in the in-between zone who do want to move into harder whitewater to hone some better skills.  Not trying to put words in anyone's mouth though.

Edited by irened - 28 Feb 2012 at 6:14am
It's all fun and games until someone loses a paddle.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 7:51am
Since the very first post of the thread had you calling me out, (which I'm glad you did) I felt like chiming in post run. Since I had not boated in 3 weeks I felt pretty stoked just to be on the water with my friends. I chimed in the way I did because it seemed like you were getting agro on dave because he disagreed with you, Talking about cappin out early and never progressing past low water etc... Just seemed like you were taking the fun out of it, so I thought I would try an put it back in. I won't post again in yer thread big Pizzle!

BIGWATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BIGWATER Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 10:27am
well jP  wants me to chime in so here it goes, forgive me if i ramble

the bottom line is that the Green gorge is an amazing place ... even if it was dry all the time id like to think i would hike down it once in a while just to be in  there ... and my original motivation to get into kayaking was to see these places, not to run the stouts or surf the epics

that being said, over the years i found out that water is softer then rocks, and that i dont like hitten hard things with my boat or body  ... so now for me id rather take a playboat down the green at 5k  instead of  run a creakboat over wet rocks.. but thats just me.. i say to each his own and what ever floats your boat or whatever

there is nothing like peeling out of an eddy into a flooding  or high water river .... hooking into a power that is so much larger then yourself , surendering to it yet staying in control and working with the water (since you simply cant overpower it)... and if that gets old (wich it never realy seems to)  try it in a tail stand or bow stall

the original point (wich i have been saying for years) is that the Green realy is an amazing big water run when it high, that does not get run enough (and yes i portage the nossel every time i run it over 4500, there is no glory in that drop at thoes flows, just a epic beatdown waiting to happen) ..

yes its a great place to be at any level, but if you want to truly exsperience what a rain on snow pineapple has to offer, you need to get out on the big stuff not wait a week for it to all  drain away ... not that i ski much, but its like getting out on a power day  vs. waiting till its all groomed (people like both, again to each his own)

this may be getting off topic  but this is the northwest , its rains a ton , we are blessed with big water events all winter long most years... its a huge resourse ... for me its all about how to get the most out of a storm , we are after all, riders of the storm ...... after years of trial and error i have come to see a pattern in my flood boating ....

Day 1 storm hits  things go crazy big ---- i go to the Nassell or Moshpit for a epic surf day (nice thing is i can do this solo if no one else can bail on work)

Day 2 or 3 things are still high but dropen fast --- hit lower Matheny (queets at 20k) or the Tilton at big water (4k+)

Day 3 or 4  things are droping into more normal flows --- go to the Green for more big water (4k+)  since they will still be letting water out a few days after everything else has droped  ..... the Green at high flows is an esential part of the post storm bigwater buffet

there are many other runs that are great at highflows too.. but thats just what i seem to do alot of the time out of Olympia in a playboat

there are many places to run rivers , but there are not many places that get rain on snow events like we do ... when a storm hits there is a difrence in watching the river gauges go huge or actualy going huge youself (it doesnt have to be class V, some of the best surfing in WA is on flooding class 3 runs)

last week i had to work so i didnt get to hit it all, but i got the moshpit on wed, green on sat and tilton on sun ... some friends of mine got on the Tilton on thurs at over 3700 (man i wish i was there instead of work)

i understand that big water is not for everyone, its taken me years to dial it in and some day i may have to hang up the playboat on thoes flood days (i duno how many 7k+ runs on the Tilton i got left in me).....but the fact is we live in a big water place  and very few people take full advantage of this resourse

anyways have fun on whatever you are boating ....WA is a great place for low water , big water, steep water , flat water  and everything in between    just go get wet its easyer then staying dry around here haha

IP IP Logged Send Private Message
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 10:39am
JP, I can appreciate your enthusiam for seeing others and encouraging others to step up and go big.  That is a pretty common theme among us kayakers... the desire to progress and be seen as progressing.  But we must be careful not to sugges that lack of progression is akin to driftwood, and I know that was not your intent... but it somehow came across that way in a nuanced fashion, at least thats what I kinda read into it.  Also, I don't think you can call the Green at 5k class IV plus or even V minus.  Lets not get lost in a veterans mindset and perspective.  Bigwater is BIGWATER as I am sure Bigwater can tell you.  AND there are class V boaters who have been taken down simply because it is BIGWATER.  So it seems a little odd to read your sandbagging the Green for more company... though I regret saying it like this cause I know thats not what you were doing. 
Maybe its just best to keep some of the off river enthusiasm with Beers at the takeout, but then this forum wouldn't be half as fun, so keep on ranting cause it makes a few of us laugh! I should say that you, my friend are underappreciated for your committment to seeing the paddling community thrive and flurish.  So keep on motivating yourself and others to follow the way of the paddle fu. 
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by huckin harms

I should say that you, my friend are underappreciated for your committment to seeing the paddling community thrive and flurish.

Here here, nothing but full agreement on that one.
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 4:23pm
I feel JP's enthusiam. Sorry I'm comin' in late, Pizzle. I think what JP is trying to say is that stepping it up is a mindset. And what he's doggin' on 'driftwood' for is that he knows the thing that debilitates paddlers is paddling the same run at the same flow EVERY time... for example. We want paddlers to challenge themselves, because that's what we want for ourselves. We want to experience ALL the river has to offer because it is our individual path, not for every paddler, but mine and JP's to be specific.

We see the potential to ride the dragon's scales and hang on, gracefully. And truth be told, it ain't all about the flood. For me it's about a lot of things, but mostly it's about fun and unique new experiences. Tshletshy opened up a whole new world for me, as another example. Class V is a great meditative tool for me, it shuts off my mind and causes me to focus on what is going on right in front of my eyes. Hiking for 2 days with a 90 pound boat on my back was also "mind-numbing", but for different reasons. Sometimes just being in a new place calms the inner 'tribe'. I suppose, if one were extrapolate on that concept, JP, one could say that.. if a paddler hasn't been in the boat or really even thought much about the boat for, say, 6 weeks, then the MM @ 1200 is a world of magic. The drone of the 50-60 hour work week can be mind-blowing in a bad way and the Green at 450 on a sunny day is pure glee. I totally see that. When I had the construction company I remember months of working 80-90 BILLABLE hours a week. WORKED. Billable hours. The only boat time I had was 1 pool session a week. Wed night from 9-10:30 and I would always show up 45 minutes early so I could get dressed and ready in case people in the previous session got out a few minutes early. And I would do like 2000 cartwheels and loops by the end of that hour and a half. It was pure bliss. It was my only (self imposed) option. I had different motivations then. I was stepping up my life at that time, boating not so much.

And sorry to blaze off topic, this is the Big Clean Green, right. I am with JP. I've always encouraged my students and fellow boaters alike to challenge yourself, try something new or follow someone down an unfamiliar line. I also back JP and follow his lead that smack talk online is just that. Lord knows, it's what Professor Paddle IS FOUNDED ON!!! Shall I divulge Hugo's alter ego and really throw this thread into a meltdown? Squirting into 5 pages of melting down. Eardrums would pop for sure. However... when we're on the river, you and I, I don't give bad beta. I don't bait people. I lead down good lines and if anything I give TOO MUCH beta. I OVER-emphasize the hazards because it's just as scary for me to see someone swim some stuff, especially on the Green. I don't want to see anyone swim. Not really. I may joke about it, but truthfully I want everyone to be stoked on their runs. That's really why I started the blog and why I started teaching. I want people to have just as good a time as I do. I LOVE paddling. I just want to share the

So when JP says "step it up" he wants us to feel accomplished, even if that means running House Rocks your first time. I used to be terrified of that rapid. I didn't paddle the MM for a long time because of it. And honestly, I feel like I am so extremely lucky to paddle the things I do. Half the time I can't believe I can do it and that just adds to my own personal stoke. That's another reason I love sharing it. Because... I honestly feel that if I can do it, ANYONE can. And I'll show you how, just come paddle.

And the other point Slick and Professor Pappa are making is that we ALL can't get out EVERY time the river is the level we want, so the enjoyment comes from a different place. I hear that, too.

I know this kinda extreme flyfisherman who likes to go into places with a rod, where people probably haven't been with a rod before. Places like 'the dark place'. He paddles "class FUN". And I think that's the best way to put it. Anyway, I'm gonna go think about paddling. Love you boys. kisses
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
STLboater
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote STLboater Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 5:24pm
This past weekend was a great one on the green.  I have to admit, I have only been in there at 1400 and under for paradise and I have always had an incredible time.  I think that the gorge AND the lower provide the escape from the city that we all need.  Those gorge walls, the mossy trees, the green is an amazing place.  That being said, paddling the green at 5k and 4k has been incredible.  The gorge will always be amazing and worth paddling, but I can't see how 1400 will ever be as much fun as 5k.  That being said, the river is always fun, and I weigh company and getting on the water more heavily than the perfect flow. 

Great weekend.
Kayak Academy Whitewater Instructor
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version