Professor Paddle: Local park n play workouts vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Local park n play workouts Post Reply Post New Topic
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dave Replybullet Topic: Local park n play workouts
    Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 10:15pm
I thought I would divulge my spots to access park n play workouts. All you gato do is park and short walks for great solo safe workouts.

The MM put in at Island drop 45 min from home (Renton)
The Cedar slolom course 15 min from my house
Snoqualmi Powerhouse 30 min from home
Green river at Kanasket park section 35 min from home
Green river Paradise ledge- but I wont solo here, too scary
There are more, but these are the best class III spots nearby

This my secret to boating 3 or more days a week. During the workweek.
Nomad
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 10:16pm
Some people may say this isnt kayaking, but hey, my sh*t is wet and yours is not.
Nomad
Dale
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Dale Replybullet Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 9:15am
Love it Dave.

I've been looking for a park n surf near the corner of 22nd Ave and E. Columbia in Seattle. So far, no luck.

The Headworks section of the Green is almost a park n surf. The run and the shuttle are really short and the surfing is pretty decent down to 500ish cfs.

I've heard of a nice surfing spot on the Cedar below the slalom course. Anybody know where that is and how easy the access is?

There is also a nice surfing spot on the YoYo at a lot of levels, though... eddy service is lacking.   
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 9:47am
At one time there was a nice surf spot on the Cedar just up stream of the 405 bridge. It was nothing epic but you could flat spin and get maybe one or two ends on it. Like a more shallow and less retentive version of turkey shoot. Me and a friend called it 24x7 wave because there was a light above it so you could surf at night.

Bummer is that they pulled out the concrete curtain that formed the wave so now it is gone.... I know exactly where to stack the rocks so it would come back though...

Mr.Grinch
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Mr.Grinch Replybullet Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 5:30pm
Why too scary about soloing Paradise? I almost went there solo with intent on just playing (ran Tilton instead) at 1500cfs. I know it is quite swirly immediately downstream of the play spot, but is there anything of caution that I'm unaware of?
Dale
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Dale Replybullet Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 7:09pm
That area around Paradise is pretty undercut and there are pretty impressive pot holes showing. No telling what's hidden. Are there pot holes underwater with water flowing through them? If a swim went bad and you were swept downstream, then it gets a bit sievey.

The sieves, undercuts and pot holes found on the Green are pretty common in Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, North Carolina & Alabama. There are a few classic spots where, at low water, swimmers swim through pot holes underwater as a game. An entrance and an exit. It's all good until it gets filled with wood.

I'd love to do a low water snorkel/swim trip down there this summer when it's warm.

James... I wish you had better news about that playspot on the Cedar. That would be damned convenient for me.

jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 8:25pm
Well, it all comes down to individual's comfort zones which varies. The rapid below Paradise has that wood sticking out from the keft bank. Obviously I respect each individual's decision process on what is or isn't safe for them personally.

That said I think the Paradise zone is just fine for a competent class IV boater to solo about. I don't consider the undercuts to be in play, but you still need to know where they are to keep them out of play.
My policy on solo boating is generally not to boat something that could cause me to swim, and generally I boat a class below my ability unless I really really know the run like the back of my hand.

Like my man Pernick says: "choose your own adventure"
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 8:28pm
But, yeah- there are lots of local options. "Kayaking", by the way, is just what you make it. Whatever you want it to be. "Choose your own adventure"
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 10:27pm
I solo run the upper and lower Green, but dont solo park n play Paradise because a swim there can be nasty. I only solo park n play stuff I feel comfy self rescue swimming in.

There is a great surf/play wave right below the bridge at the Cedar slolum course that I go to all the time and is good at all levels. Not spectacluar but good.
Nomad
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 10:28pm
Correction, upriver from the bridge about 50 ft river center. When your standing on the bridge it is right below you.

Edited by dave - 11 Apr 2012 at 10:30pm
Nomad
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 6:32pm
This sounds rad. Working on my play boat this weekend to get it up and running and would like to hit these spots up. Longer for me though because I'm in downtown seattle
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 7:32pm
Just got off Bobs Hole park n play. It was rad today and a few guys out there.
Nomad
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 8:38pm
sweeet. I need my play boat up and running like TODAY! discovered that I have a rip in my spray skirt also.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version