Professor Paddle: Green Headworks question vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Green Headworks question Post Reply Post New Topic
briandunnington
Paddler
Paddler

Online Status: Offline
  Quote briandunnington Replybullet Topic: Green Headworks question
    Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 9:35am
What is the protocol for the put-in for the Green Headworks? I ran it once with Dale and Earl and we stopped at the little guard station thingy, but I didnt go in. What info do you need to give them? More importantly, are there any restrictions on when you can access the put-in? In other words, does some one have to be at the station and is it always open - like on Sundays and Holidays and early mornings/later in the evening?
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Logan
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Logan Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 9:47am
You don't need to stop and check in at all. As long as you have your discover pass your good to to go, 24/7. You would only need to stop if you didn't have the discover pass and wanted to buy a day pass. My only word of advice is do the posted speed limit. I have seen cars with boats on top go flying by the guard shack and all that does is give kayakers a bad reputation with the park rangers.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 10:05am
Just a reminder that Brian is talking about the Headworks put in which is up by the actual Dam / Guard Shack. It would seem that Logan is talking about Kanaskat Palmer St. Park which is actually the take out. Not sure but would not want anyone to be confused.

The headworks is accessed via the pipeline road and you can put in up and down the road where you please. It is advised to park within view of the Guard Shack as that seems to decrease the risk of break ins, although they still happen up there too.

The take out is in the park where you pick, see Logans notes about the discover pass.
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 10:09am
I believe Logan is talking about access to Kanaskat-Palmer park, which is the take-out for the headworks... and as far as the takeout is concerned, that is all correct.

To access the put-in beyond the gate, from what I remember they want to make a copy of your driver's license and you have to fill out a form. Then they'll give you access beyond the gate. And access is per vehicle so it's just the drivers who need to check in. It's a little bit of a hassle but not too bad.

Alternately just put-in below the gate. There's a putin a few hundred yards downstream. And after you drop boats you can drive up and park just outside the gate and walk back to the put-in... That leaves your car in sight of the gate and probably safer location... the main reason to park past the gate is security anyway since you don't add on much more river by going past it.
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 10:10am
Oh Jimmy, you're so smart.
Logan
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Logan Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 10:10am
oops. Guess it pays to read all the details. Ya I was talking about Kanaskat Palmer St. Park.
Dale
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Dale Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 10:18am
Welcome back Brian. Hollar at me.

You need a valid and current "drivers license" and "insurance card". They'll make a copy of these, put them on file, then, you'll only have to show them when one or the other expires. You'll still have to stop at the shack and get a pass. They'll want to know your vehicles license number(which is on the insurance card) and how many people are in your group.

I like the stretch up through the gates, but if I'm short on time, I'll usually put in at the first obvious spot downstream of the gate. Besides, accessing this run exercises our rights as a user group and makes Bill Petty happy. :-)

I'm not sure what the rules are regarding darkness. I'll ask them next time I'm there. So far, if I think we'll be out past dark, we just us the put-in that is outside the gate.
GHannam
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote GHannam Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 11:22am
I'm pretty sure the guard house does have someone on staff 24/7. If you don't want to put in at the fisherman's access point just below the guard house because you're worried about your car, you can always ask the guard on staff to use their parking area outside the gate, which has surveillance. 
IMO, the hastle and extra time it takes to go through the gate isn't worth the extra ripple or two you get out of it. However, Dale's got the information correct-- Drivers Licence, and Insurance are requried, which they will keep copies on file.
And just as a friendly reminder: Please do not go beyond the access point for kayakers. Anyone who abuses Tacoma Water's generosity in letting kayakers go beyond the gate jepordizes everyone's access to it...
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 11:23am
We usually just put in below the gate..it's easier.
Railroad drop was stomping yesterday! We ran my Tomcat II yesterday and had a blast on that run! My Son is up visiting and he doesnt hardshell.
Nomad
Dale
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Dale Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 11:41am
Those who are at a skill level or frame of mind to run the Headworks section will probably enjoy the upper section of this run. It contains what is probably the longest single rapid on this run(besides the stuff below 1rst Ledge). True, it's not great at all levels, but...

Also, when there's water in it, there's a couple surf waves at that put-in that are worth the effort... and then some. True, most are too skert to try to surf 'em, but... :-)

What can I tell you... I'm easily entertained.

All that said, dealing with that gate is a hassle but we're exercising our rights, not enjoying their hospitality.

Mark47n
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Mark47n Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 3:04pm
  The advantage of going through the gate is that then we, as recreational users of that resource, are counted which provides hard usage data when the discussions come up about how many boaters there actually are and how much traffic there is on the Headworks section.
mokelumnekid
McNasty
McNasty

Quote mokelumnekid Replybullet Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 8:50am
Agree with Dale and Mark, The run is so short as it is, and the upper stretch is a bit of splashy fun, that I find it worth it (plus parking security). The more recent downside to putting in there is that they repositioned the logs so that they are just below the best put-in spot. No prob except for a noob, but if they had a problem getting briskly out into the river, or flipped at the start, it could be dicey for them.  Too bad as that used to be a great place to get new boaters launched.

George B.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version