Professor Paddle: White Salmon Info vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: White Salmon Info Post Reply Post New Topic
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote osmelendez Replybullet Topic: White Salmon Info
    Posted: 18 May 2012 at 7:57pm
I noticed that there is not a water level listed on the river page for the White Salmon.
I'd like to know when a good time to be running this river is? I ran a section of it a loooong time ago. It was a great intermediate stretch which ended with an easy short waterfall. I want to head back over there but I'm trying to time it just right.
I guess there is a lot of whitewater in this part of the world. From what I understand the White Salmon is broken up into three sections. Then there is the Little White Salmon (which I won't be running this year). Also, from there you can head on over across the Columbia and there is even some action in Hood River.
If anyone would like to chime in with some info, I'd greatly appreciate it.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2012 at 11:34pm
So until they calibrate the gauge there won't be real-time data on the White Salmon, but short answer is the white salmon is ALWAYS running. The middle can be run real low and real high, above 4.5-5 feet on the stick gauge the middle is more class IV than III.

The farmlands and truss have more specific windows of opportunity. What section would you be looking to run? The truss is full of wood and has made the run not as classic I hear but the farmlands is pretty clean.

The way I look at it it's always worth going down there, but most prefer it when the stick reads between 3.75 and 2.5 because the truss is at it's best.

And as far as Husum being easy, I'd be careful what you say she might hear you and seek retribution. I saw tyler Braght take a pretty long rodeo hole ride in there a few years back in his kayak. So don't underestimate that piece of work.

The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2012 at 5:00am
Yeah. I guess I should clarify what I mean by easy - there is not a class IV/V rapid leading up to the waterfall and you don't have to deal with a class IV/V rapid after the waterfall. Lining up for the waterfall is pretty easy. And, the waterfall is next to a bridge and not in the middle of a canyon, which means a person with a cellphone and a throw rope could watch and help if you got in any trouble. But, you are absolutely correct Jed, in any drop there is always the possibility of a rodeo.
I would probably be running the middle section in a play boat which I believe starts at BZ corner and heads to Husum falls. I would bring my creek boat and investigate the Green Truss (that's a creek boat run right?), but I wouldn't hold myself to any commitments of running the Truss.
I'm thinking of running it some time soon, maybe even Memorial Day weekend. I can't remember when I ran it last, but I remember it was good weather and a sweet run in a play boat. Water levels were in the range you mentioned - 2.5 and 3.75.
You mentioned 'farmlands', is that a stretch on the Truss?
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2012 at 7:31am
Farmlands is the top section of the 3 on the WS. A little easier than the Truss but packed with wood right now. Doable but take a local that knows the portages.
Another option for later in the season is the Orletta - It is basically adding the bottom couple miles of the Truss on to the middle run (BZ to Husum) it adds some good IV with a fairly easy portage around Big Brother.
Memorial day weekend will probably see the river on the high side (to high for Orletta)
The hood has several good runs that will be in.
Sure?
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2012 at 7:42am

Hood would be a good option. What runs are you referring to? I'll check that river out when I get home this evening. I'd love to hang out in Oregon for the weekend. Not to far of a drive either.

jwcook
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote jwcook Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2012 at 8:53am
If you have facebook and "like" wetplanet or the white salmon page, they've been posting stick levels about once a week or more... They've been in the 4.5 range mainly.
http://vimeo.com/user3038955
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2012 at 10:25am
Dee to Copper
Lake Branch
West Fork

Edited by Tobin - 19 May 2012 at 10:27am
Sure?
KBfree
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote KBfree Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2012 at 11:04am

The Hood River is at 5 ft....  so The West Fork Hood is in (barely) and is a very fun class IV.  4.8 ft is the low end and I've run it lower ... but it was not very exciting.  I have run it up to 6.5-7 ft and it was awesome.  Consult the Bennet book or website or Kayak Shed for directions.  It can get confusing up there. The Lake Branch needs lots of water.

The East Fork is in...The take out of the WF Hood is at/near the confluence of the Dee to Tucker run of the East Fork Hood.  I would call this a playboat class III run with one IV- near the end. 

Tucker to Columbia is a III- run with I believe one Dam Portage. 

Its been years since running so I do not know the current conditions. 

WInd River is always an option if the flows are good. 

These are all listed on American WW.

Kirk
Kirk B
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2012 at 2:23pm
I just drove up the East fork Hood the other day and it looked like fun.
Nomad
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2012 at 2:49pm
I just got onto "Wet Planet" Facebook page and it stated two hours ago that the levels are 4.6. That's actually really good from the research I've done and I'm sure that'll hold until next weekend. If anyone is interested in taking a trip out to White Salmon next weekend then PM me. I'll be bringing both a play boat and a creek boat (just in case).
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2012 at 2:50pm
By-the-way, thanks for all the info folks. This website and this community of boaters is trustworthy like that .
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 20 May 2012 at 3:59pm
RIGHT! Thanks Brian. I get runs and drops mixed up from time to time.
Sure?
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 20 May 2012 at 10:29pm
I've only run the Middle W/S recently during Hanzapalooza, so anything I say about the other stretches upstream is based on word of mouth.

Farmlands: some wood, but manageable.
Truss: tons of wood, tipping the effort to fun ratio
Orletta: a fair amount of wood, probably making it more gnarly than fun.

The Middle though, is in great shape. Raft companies have done some grooming. It had been clogged with a lot of wood, but when I was on it two weeks ago it was clean.

The Lower (from the falls to the bridge where Northwestern Lake used to be) is nice. Mostly II, maybe a few easy III's. Some nice surf waves, and some new rapids! Clean.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jblum
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Don Blumin Looper

Quote jblum Replybullet Posted: 20 May 2012 at 11:27pm
A few notes about the above info:

The Middle is not "clean". It is runable, but there is lots of wood. It is all avoidable, but in some bad spots. There is a log right below top drop like the one that was pinned in there last summer (almost exact same spot). There is a massive channel blocking wood mess in Boulder Garden on river left. Easy to avoid and see, but need to stay center or right. There are a bunch of other easy to miss but present logs all over the place. It is not clean though.

The Truss is a mess. There are some local folks who have been in there and there are multiple areas that are problematic. The most troubling one is right below double drop in Karen's box, which makes both rapids a portage. There is also a massive (like 20+ foot) jam in the Orletta section. There are also misc other pieces scattered throughout.

This beta is from running these in the last two days. Things are moving around a lot, and the river has been 4.5-5 feet. With lots of rain coming this week I would suggest the Hood, East and West fork if you're looking for some fun.
JHB
peteg
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote peteg Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2012 at 10:44am
There was a Farmlands trip report on PDXkayaker recently. I think there were 2-3 wood portages scattered throughout the run. Didn't sound too bad but more than usual for sure.

pete
PaddleGirl
McNasty
McNasty

Quote PaddleGirl Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2012 at 10:56am
EF hood (dee to tucker) had one wood portage on saturday, otherwise clean.

Ditto on Middle WS.. there's wood but everything is avoidable.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2012 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by jblum

A few notes about the above info:

The Middle is not "clean". It is runable, but there is lots of wood. It is all avoidable, but in some bad spots. There is a log right below top drop like the one that was pinned in there last summer (almost exact same spot). There is a massive channel blocking wood mess in Boulder Garden on river left. Easy to avoid and see, but need to stay center or right. There are a bunch of other easy to miss but present logs all over the place. It is not clean though.

Ok, ok, ya got me. Its true, I was using the term "clean" quite loosely.
But, while the log below Top Drop is problematic for rafts, not so much for qualified kayakers. And plainly visible from the put in. Clean Enough if you are in a hardshell and skilled enough for the run.

The wood choking up the left two thirds of the Boulder Garden is messy enough. But still visible. The main raft line on the right is open, so I consider that somewhat clean.

You can ask about conditions on the river, but sooner or later you gotta log off and put on. If the Middle W/S is your target run, its worth the drive. I wouldn't bust a nut to drive down from the Emerald city for the Truss right now. Especially if ya gotta portage DoubleD. Its one of the best drops in there. The Truss is supposed to be a fun classic to rip down, IMO, and not an "adventure-portage fest".

Farmlands? I portage Lava Dam at various flows or when I'm not feelin it. And a convient wood portage isn't too much to bother with...but 3 or so is starting to dis-incentivize it for me. But, I already got enough laps in there to become spoiled and picky.

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2012 at 6:30pm
hmmm... Okay, this is all very good info to know.
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2012 at 7:44pm
I think I'll leave this all up to whether or not I can find some paddlers to paddle with. I've been communicating with a local and she is pointing me in the right direction as far as getting connected with other kayakers in the White Salmon area. But, also, I may be able to hook up with some Portland boaters and follow their lead if they have a stretch in mind. It's not a terribly long drive but it's long enough that I don't want to end up walking my boat around sweet rapids because they are choked up with wood. So, hopefully I can connect with someone that's willing to show me the way down a sweet stretch. I think one of my favorite things about this sport is meeting people. I've met some characters that are about as gnarly as the whitewater we run.
briandunnington
Paddler
Paddler

Quote briandunnington Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2012 at 8:50am
Originally posted by jP

...sooner or later you gotta log off and put on.

Although there are many choice nuggets of floating around these forums, this is one of my favorite jP quotes.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version