Professor Paddle: New Creature Craft video vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: New Creature Craft video Post Reply Post New Topic
Icicle_TV
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Icicle_TV Replybullet Topic: New Creature Craft video
    Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 8:16am
Hey gang,
Icicle TV here from Leavenworth. Realizing full well that the running the Tumwater is a  regular occurrence for many members of this board.
We submit our video of the Creature Craft guys on one of the Dam down runs they took last week.
 By my guess, it's running around 9000 CFS the day of filming.

Icicle TV is a grassroots media effort that focuses on local people doing cool stuff. We'd love to hear about your local adventures of any kind.
Thanks for watching and we'll see you at the put in.
LINK:
http://icicle.tv/Blog/SPORTS-OUTOORS/Creature-Craft-runs-the-Tumwater-Canyon.html

Edited by Icicle_TV - 01 Jun 2012 at 8:22am
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 9:31am
Shweeet, great video!
It's all fun and games until someone loses a paddle.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Blair
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Blair Replybullet Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 9:55am
Good footage indeed. Much better footage than those silly camera phones from up on the freeway (like 1 I have on my channel).
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 10:06am
They didn't show the Creature Craft footage of one being pinned/broached into the giant stick at the bottom of the wall.  These things definitely have limitations and agility is not there strong suit.  Nonetheless, they are the only watercraft on that stretch of ww this time of year, cept for a couple hardy 'core' paddlers willing to lay it all out. 
Sam_Graftton
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Sam_Graftton Replybullet Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 10:13am
Funny there calling POW V and Exit a VI I think POW is just as nasty if not nastier at that flow.

Edited by Sam_Graftton - 01 Jun 2012 at 10:20am
Icicle_TV
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Icicle_TV Replybullet Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 10:27am
Busted. The ratings were in question on our end. I just called POW a V, But the 6 foot tall hole sure looked like class  VI. You guys are the experts here, I'm just a camera guy.
We just caught one of the dozen or so runs they took last week. During the film scout we spent an hour looking at 1/4 mile. That's no stick, it's a 50 foot 3' diameter log. Darren said they deflated one of the main tubes causing the boat to lift the log up, freeing the boat. Epic, but it worked. The boat was fine.

Edited by Icicle_TV - 01 Jun 2012 at 10:29am
NateW
McNasty
McNasty

Quote NateW Replybullet Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 11:18am
Ran into these guys and they offered to take us out. I don't have the stones for it though. Great footage, I bet some of their gopro footage makes it into an advertisement for gopro.
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 1:08pm

Yup, I'd rate every one of the boomers (Wall, Chaos, POW, Exit) classV+ at those high flows.  I'd even go so far as to venture that that there whitewater is some of the biggest anywhere around and maybe the biggest stuff next to a road.  That's water thats not even at flood stage, but well within its banks.

We rolled by the day that one of these crafts got pinned in the wood below the Wall rapid.  The first thought that went through my mind was fatality.  Glad to hear they got the rubber out of that pinched spot and everyone was ok.  Must've made for a sporty runout with a deflated tube. 

Thanks for sharing!    
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 8:24pm
Anyone know the highest flow that the Tumwater's been run at by kayakers?

I seem to recall some footy showing Marco C. running the Tumwater at fairly stout flows in Twitch I, and have heard rumors of a National Geographic special showing Jim Snyder and others running it at high water at some point in the 70s'(?).

I found this info on BoaterTalk but if anyone has more information or links to footy I'd love to see it/them.

"It was Jeff Snyder, with Bob McDougal and maybe Grant Amaral?  Jeff nails it in the Bigfoot.  The other two were in Dancers I believe.  There was lots of great high quality slow motion footage of them going through massive holes and waves"
-Jay
Sam_Graftton
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Sam_Graftton Replybullet Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 9:48pm
No Idea what the highest run was. Rob and myself ran Exit last year at 10k, I know Marcos run POW at 13k, Rob and Marco also ran The Wall at 13k. Chaos regularly gets run at high flows.

I have some footage from a few weeks ago that I'll try and upload soon.
TomMarley
Paddler
Paddler

Quote TomMarley Replybullet Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 10:19pm
Anyone know the story behind a reported helicopter extraction off the White River? Last week or so I heard.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version