Professor Paddle: San Juans June 15th, 16th, 17th vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Chit Chat
 Professor Paddle : General : Chit Chat
Message Icon Topic: San Juans June 15th, 16th, 17th Post Reply Post New Topic
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dave Replybullet Topic: San Juans June 15th, 16th, 17th
    Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 9:28am

I am thinking about doing an easy paddle in the San Juans around Friday the 15th and Saturday the 16th (possibly Sunday also, coming home Sunday or Saturday night).
I was thinking about paddling from Guemess ferry to Cyprus Island and do some hiking for a few days around Cyprus and just staying on Pelican Beach for a few days. Maybe day paddle around the Cone Islands and just messing around there. Cyprus is a great place to hang out, with hiking and day paddling possibilities. This will be an easy trip with short paddling around 10 miles a day. Could also paddle over to James Island and stay there a day too.
My friend lives near Guemess and we can park there for free. So, if you are interested just post here and we can get a trip going. You will need a sea kayak of course, unless your a bad ass kayaker that can paddle a playboat 10miles...

Weather permitting of course.

Edited by dave - 05 Jun 2012 at 12:11pm
Nomad
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Mark47n
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Mark47n Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 11:06am
  Just did an Anacortes to Friday Harbor trip there.  One of the trip participants got beat down BAD just north of Deadman Island.  I watched his bow go from horizontal, to vertical, start dropping and then start getting whipped around like a propeller at amazing speeds!  Keep in mind we're talking about 18' of boat!  He swam that whirlpool for 3 minutes and took some nasty whacks to the head in the process as his boat passed over him.  I shudder to think what might have happened to him if he let go of his boat.
You mean I'm supposed to wear something UNDER my spray skirt? Where's the fun in that?
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 4:10pm
Ya, the currents can get like class III-IV whitewater out there at times, especially with opposing winds.
Nomad
Mark47n
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Mark47n Replybullet Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 8:52am
  Great fun, but once your in it out there there is no escape, sometimes shore is REALLY far away and the waves are REALLY big.
You mean I'm supposed to wear something UNDER my spray skirt? Where's the fun in that?
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 9:36am
Ya, unlike white water where you can just paddle to an eddy quickly, out there you are sometimes an hour paddle away from shore and when your in the sh*t it can be a little intimidating.

I have seen class V whitwater paddlers turn into scared little girls out there.
Nomad
Mark47n
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Mark47n Replybullet Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 9:41am
  There was an article in 2008 in Sea Kayaker magazine, Written by Rob Gibbert, where a WW paddler went on the same trip I'm talking about.  He barely made the crossing to Lopez across Rosario Strait (about 7.25nm).  It's great article written by a skilled sea kayaker and white water paddler.  The exposure on long crossings can be a bit daunting, especially to paddlers who are new to crossings.  Especially there where the consequences of missing can be...severe.
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 11:46am
Throw a little fog in there and then watch the fun begin...it is undescribable being in thick fog paddling a long reach.
Nomad
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version