Professor Paddle: Rattlesnake Creek (Naches trib) vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Rattlesnake Creek (Naches trib) Post Reply Post New Topic
BRoss
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote BRoss Replybullet Topic: Rattlesnake Creek (Naches trib)
    Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 5:17pm
Has anyone run the Rattlesnake this year? Interested in the current wood situation and whether the pain to pleasure ratio is worth it. Reports from last summer from AW make the wood sound like a mixed bag, but the run looks beautiful.
"That boated a lot better than it looked." "It always does until it doesn't."
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
FLUID
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote FLUID Replybullet Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 5:24pm
Jon Almquist and crew I heard ran it recently.  It's an Awesome scenic remote feeling run and very beautiful.  You should go no matter what, wood is part of the adventure.  Amazing basalt canyon........
TomMarley
Paddler
Paddler

Quote TomMarley Replybullet Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 7:06pm
we ran it a few years back and portaged 9 times (1 super sketchy). SOOO worth it! Definitely recommend class IV creeking skills and high wood alertness.
JD_G
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote JD_G Replybullet Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 7:38pm
Ran it with Jon 2 weeks ago and it was in good shape. I think there were 4 wood portages and one log boof in the canyon to watch for. Good to go. Have fun and hit he American too. It's also in good shape.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
BRoss
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BRoss Replybullet Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 8:32pm
Right on, thanks for the word. Sounds like a great run - I'm surprised this isn't on more people's radar. Maybe its in that nebulous zone of not being the "gnar" but having enough issues that it isn't a good beginner/intermediate run.
BRoss
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BRoss Replybullet Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 9:16pm
JD, are you referring to the 3-4 section of the American?
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 6:34am
There were three wood portages - one above the canyon and two after you exit the canyon but before you hit the braided run-out.  Only one seems to "sneak up" on you - it's hidden around a right bend.  But once you see it, there's a nice eddy RL which you can catch for the step-around portage.  There are also a few "dead ends" that can avoided if you're paying attention - the first of which is just a couple of corners below the put-in where the river braids and bends L.  At this corner, take one of the smaller (L or C) channels, as the main R channel to the outside is wooded out.  As JD noted, there's also a log boof in the canyon.  We ran this stretch twice over a three day period, and interestingly, this "boof" changed noticeably between runs.  On our first run, the cleanest option was to boof the log as left as water level allowed.  But two days later there was a good size depression on the upstream side of the log on this left side - my guess is that gravels had eroded out from underneath, allowing flow to go under the log on this side.  This was a surprise, but we just stayed further right without issue.  There's an upstream RR gravel bar (at normal flows) onto which you can step out and scout the log.      
JD_G
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote JD_G Replybullet Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 3:24pm
BRoss, yes the 3-4 stretch on the American. You'll need to portage a couple different log jams a little bit below the first "head wall" where the river splits around a bedrock island. Looks like you can get out on RL and walk around both at the same time.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
BRoss
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BRoss Replybullet Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 9:55am
What an incredible place! One of the coolest canyons I've been in. Quite an adventure too: besides the river itself, we nearly stepped on a Rattlesnake while scouting, and made it through a portage while rednecks were shooting guns down into the canyon from above. Actually, I don't know that they were rednecks, they could have been liberals from Seattle, but who knows.

Thank you SO MUCH to the two friendly boaters from Billings, MT who ran our shuttle, saving me a hitch or the bike shuttle from hell. Major river karma points! Hope you guys enjoy the rest of your Washington trip!

For the record, 1700 on the Naches gauge is ELF minimum for Rattlesnake, but we got down with enough water to make the rapids fun. Rattlesnake might be done for the year.

Thanks for the accurate wood beta Jon. I think we portaged river-spanning wood at least 4 times.

The log boof was an interesting place. No problem in a hardshell, but Sarah was in an IK and wasn't too comfortable with the log/undercut wall combo. I ended up running it, got out on the small river left gravel bar, she ferried across the current into the slower moving water above the log and I grabbed her boat and pulled her onto the gravel bar. In hindsight, that was dumb... probably would have been safer for her to just run it.

All in all, such a good trip. I'll be back next year.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version