Professor Paddle: clear fork cowlitz update vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: clear fork cowlitz update Post Reply Post New Topic
dinsdalw
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dinsdalw Replybullet Topic: clear fork cowlitz update
    Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 6:53pm
my brother and i paddled the clear fork twice in the last two days and found it pretty clean and very much worth paddling. the cowlitz gauge was reading about 3000 cfs and we found this to be a very nice medium flow. i'd paddle it with more water but it is well padded right now. we portaged 4 times - around the first drop of entrance exam b/c of wood; at an obvious riverwide logjam; just after a mini-gorge rapid and a right bend in the river where some wood is just above the surface midway down; and at the landslide, which is clogged with wood. there was a marginal limbo log and some barely submerged pieces of wood that may require portaging at a lower flow. our first trip down took about 4 hours. second trip took about 2 hours. i found the hike-in to below entrance exam to be just as difficult as the portage around the top drop and it deprives you of paddling the double series just below.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 9:27pm
What!!!!!!!! Wow, that is awesome. Ill have to be getting out there soon then. 
SOPBOATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote SOPBOATER Replybullet Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 1:02am
Sounds super promising. I mean thE clear fork is back. That is a very good thing.
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 7:58am
How do you think 3500 would be? still good to go?

If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
fiddleyak
McNasty
McNasty

Quote fiddleyak Replybullet Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 10:00am
Yeah! I've been waiting 5 years for this. Thanks for the update maybe we'll get out there tomorrow.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
dinsdalw
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote dinsdalw Replybullet Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 2:58pm
3500 is still good. we just paddled it again today and it was higher than thursday and friday but still nice. it's blisteringly hot in packwood right now so i expect flows will trend upwards.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 12:03am
Great news!!! Thanks!

I really want to get in there very soon. It'll have to be a weekday for me, so for those of you who know me and are down thats my availability and I'd like to make it happen.

Been waiting for this run to clean up, but I never make it down that way otherwise.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
fiddleyak
McNasty
McNasty

Quote fiddleyak Replybullet Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 11:06am
Originally posted by dinsdalw

we portaged 4 times - around the first drop of entrance exam b/c of wood; at an obvious riverwide logjam; just after a mini-gorge rapid and a right bend in the river where some wood is just above the surface midway down; and at the landslide, which is clogged with wood.

Dude you guys are pretty tough if that's true! We walked 3 times below the landslide portage: where the river divides and is super undercut on the left side (Lane chopped out a stick to make a tricky line on the right runnable), at the slidey falls that has two old growths sticking into the river on both sides in the landing zone, and right downstream of that at a waterfall formed by a logjam.

Andrew noted that the run has not cleaned up significantly since his run last year. Still worth doing I'm glad I finally got in there and did a couple runs.
JD_G
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote JD_G Replybullet Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 6:44pm
Hey Ben.  Thanks for the info.  How many portages in total for you guys?  I heard that last year it was over 10, so wanted to clarify.  Thanks.
WA-Boater
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote WA-Boater Replybullet Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 9:47pm
JD, I was in there with Ben and Andrew. Andrew did it last year and stated it's about the same. Maybe a few less portages in the non-whitewater stretches.
I lost count of the portages. But is was at least 10. I'd say more like 15. I was tired by the end of the day. If you were really brave the portage total could be single digit. It could also be your last run too, I suppose.
Extremely beautiful.

Darren

JD_G
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote JD_G Replybullet Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 8:20am
Thanks Darren.  That's what I was looking for.  The statement "losing count of the portages" is never a good one.  That tiredness is from hauling that BIG boat around.  :)
Fine line between brave and stupid sometimes.  Yeah, that canyon is phenomenal.....very special place amongst all the special places us kayakers get to see.

Thanks again D.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 8:35am

my brother and i paddled the clear fork twice in the last two days and found it pretty clean and very much worth paddling.

Originally posted by WA-Boater

I lost count of the portages. But is was at least 10. I'd say more like 15. I was tired by the end of the day.

...our first trip down took about 4 hours. second trip took about 2 hours.

How many clear forks are on the cowlitz... it would seem as if different stretches are being talked about, although I know that is not the case.
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 9:49am
I'm curious what dinsdalw ran that D, B & A portaged.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
fiddleyak
McNasty
McNasty

Quote fiddleyak Replybullet Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 4:10pm
I don't think it's quite as bad as Darren remembers. Probably 7-10 portages depending on your tolerance. Sounds like people are thinking about going tomorrow, I say go get it!
swimswim
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote swimswim Replybullet Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by water wacko

I'm curious what dinsdalw ran that D, B & A portaged.

Hi, I'm the other paddler on dinsdalw's trip. We ran everything below the landslide. The three that fiddleyak mentions were definitely tricky and we had varying levels of success on each of our runs. Suffice to say that our respect for the navigational challenges of each of those rapids increased considerably over the course of our several runs. And I need elbow pads.
And there are definitely a couple places with marginal limbos or vaults that wouldn't look very appealing at different flows.

Vis-a-vis bravery vs foolishness: i pity da'foo

Ben
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version