Professor Paddle: Of Dogs and Whitewater vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Of Dogs and Whitewater Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
Dale
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dale Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 10:51am
That little sinking bundle of joy was a Yorky of fine breeding. It's parents were pretty small dogs but this one had been fed overtime. The breeders were freaked at his size. It was actually a pretty smart dog. The old girlfriend wasn't much into training and when I came into the picture, the dog loved the discipline and the fact that I'm an early riser(meaning he got to pee sooner and run in the yard early mornings). He would also sort of poop on command... sort of... he was an indoor dog that loved to run in the yard. As soon as he pooped, it was back indoors for him, so he would put off pooping... when I was ready to go in, a stern point and saying "Poop" and he would squat and bomb nearly every time. Half of it was that I could tell when he was holding back. Pretty entertaining for guests. :-)

As for which breed would be best for squirt boating, did you miss my whole sinking dog story? HELLO!!!

My last dog was 10 pounds of pure terror. Chewbecca was a MaltaCockaPeekaPoo. A friend had bred generations of these dogs and they were smart as a whip, well mannered and in high demand. She was fortunate that I could take her to work with me. There's nothing better for a dog than lots and lots of face time with the owner. Undog? I think not. Chewy lived the life and got to go most everywhere I went, hiking, caving, hanging at the lake, etc... My favorite dog ever.

I had a Golden Retriever/Keeshhond mix that had the appearance of a giant black lab with jet black hair that was insanely long, but usually lay down to look smooth. He was a great dog, but quite the handful. He just lost his mind around water. It was bad enough that he would roll around in every little puddle of water, pond, lake, river, swimming pool, public fountain, he also loved to roll in anything that was wet and stunk... like garbage... and one time a super nasty beer party site with a giant pool of puke... it not good. He also liked to jump off the front of the houseboat, but was not able to get back on the boat by himself. This was especially annoying at night when I'd hear the giant kersplash!!! His long hair was pretty interesting when he went "on guard". He was already a very tall dog and when he would raise all that long hair along his back, he looked freaking huge. Though he never got into a fight with other dogs, most would become pretty submissive around him pretty quick. Somebody stole him out of my yard when he was around 2 years old.

Also had a silver German Shepard. Another excellent dog.

Next dog? I'm thinking a flock of poodles. At least 3 but not more than 5 because... having more than 5 dogs would be freaking crazy, no?

Cats are not recommended for whitewater.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 11:28am
Stolen from your backyard... that is harsh.

Growing up we had a Shelty and a Collie then a Shelty Collie mix... After getting really sick of dogs that had to herd every moving thing, we started with Golden Retrievers. That was fun because they loved the water so much. When I came back from the military it was time for something new so we went to the pound and started getting mutts. No I am down to one dog again, Mr Max. Not super keen on swimming like my last dog, but he loves rafting, and the combination of good swimming skills and the lack of desire to swim means he stays in the boat pretty well.

As far as squirt boating dogs... I am gonna pass, I can barely get my self in that boat let alone a dog.

On the topic of Un-Dogs ... Hawethorne has a dog named Luna that I would totally call an Un-Dog but after taking that little rat down the wenatchee it earned a some river credit jumping in and out of the raft and riding with Ben on the kayak, I still would not want to take it on multidays though, if that little guy wandered too far it would be snack attack for sure, even a raccoon could make quick work of that little thing.

While we are discussing this I have a X-Large NRS PFD for a dog that I can part with. My ole girl passed on earlier this year and we don't anticipate getting another dog and the design won't work for our daughter so we splurged and bought her a childrens model. The PFD is the one with the Handle and little zipper pouch on the back to put a leash, snacks or perhaps a few cans of beer.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 11:33am
Dug up a photo of Kiya wearing the Vest that I am talking about. RIP

Mr.Grinch
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Mr.Grinch Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 6:02pm
Dale, when is Kitty getting a day on the water? Preferably in your IK, just in case.......

He geese at Glenwood is all time!

My dog has been on my boat, in moving water, plenty of times. That was in New England in summer and the water was warmer than it ever gets here by far. He's swam a few rapids, not by my choice but by him assessing the situation and choosing to hop in. Class II stuff, and he avoided the "meat," but displayed control.

Still, he showed what others have mentioned about hazard recognition and awareness of differing hazard at known spots when in different flows.

I suspect that a dog feels eddies rather than anticipates them.
nnln.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version