Professor Paddle: Whistler Moderates vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Whistler Moderates Post Reply Post New Topic
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JayB Replybullet Topic: Whistler Moderates
    Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 9:49pm
Putting this one out to the PP.com brain-trust:

We're heading up to Whistler for a mellow family vacation from the 16th to the 22nd - and I'm debating bringing the boats up.

It'll just be the brother-in-law and myself on the river, and neither of us will be looking to push it while we're there.

I know there's world-class gnar up there - but I'm wondering whether there's enough moderate water up there (within 1/2 hour of Whistler) to warrant bringing the boats? I think we'd be down for anything up to a non-sandbagged (WA) IV.

Many thanks for any thoughts, insights, or suggestions including "leave the boats at home until you grow a pair."

-Jay
-Jay
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Fry1982
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Fry1982 Replybullet Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 10:47pm
Assuming you mean August, I am guessing with this years snow pack that will be around when levels start to come down, leaving the potential for Upper Cheak, Callaghan and Soo (the triple crown) to be in a good class IV range. Upper Cheak may be at a level where 'Balls to the Wall' is in as well (IV+).

If things are still high, there is always Cal-cheak, Upper Callaghan, Upper Mamquam in Squamish and some others I'm sure I'm forgetting which are a step down but still getting out on the water.

My 2 cents, but maybe some more Whistler experienced will chime in.
chipmaney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote chipmaney Replybullet Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 11:29pm
cheakamus and soo, definitely.
sitting all alone on a mountain by a river that has no end
BRoss
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BRoss Replybullet Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 11:29pm
Anything with a 30 footer on it is not washington class 4, imo. Maybe (probably?) I'm a giant wuss, but that's my opinion. Cheakamus is a nice class 4 run though!
"That boated a lot better than it looked." "It always does until it doesn't."
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 8:27am
I am not saying I know your boating style super well Jay, but I would not call the Balls to the Wall Section a run in the range your looking for. There is certainly class IV in there and there is not really any stand out class V water but there are certainly areas of class V consequence with class IV moves which changes it a bit.

The upper cheak is certainly more of the class IV run that you are looking for. A cool water fall to kick it off a couple of class IV rapids and plentiful class III+. The Cal Cheak is more of a play run without any massive play features but plenty of fun little waves and weirs. Worth checking out. I have never done the lower birk but that is on the verge of being in the hour away zone but certainly a cool river. The upper Birk is called class IV by locals but again with the right water levels it has some IV+ rapids for sure and a few spots that could get into the -V level.
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 8:44am
You can do some 'exploring' here:

BRoss
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BRoss Replybullet Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 9:34am
Claudia Schwab's BC book has some nice easier stuff too in the general area. If you don't have a copy Jay, you are welcome to borrow mine. I could drop it by SBRI sometime if i don't see you on the water.
"That boated a lot better than it looked." "It always does until it doesn't."
Fry1982
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Fry1982 Replybullet Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 9:44am
If I remember correctly, upper Callaghan is in Claudia's book
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version