Professor Paddle: roll instruction vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: roll instruction Post Reply Post New Topic
commander fun
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Online Status: Offline
  Quote commander fun Replybullet Topic: roll instruction
    Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 10:51am
i need some one to teach me how to roll.  i can pay 80$ and i can meet almost anywhere.  give me a call 206 553 9461.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Mark47n
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Mark47n Replybullet Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 11:15am
  You can call me at (206) two 93.zero one 6 five.  When I'm not at my real job I'm a kayaking instructor on the side (ACA WW L4 and Open Water Coastal L4).
You mean I'm supposed to wear something UNDER my spray skirt? Where's the fun in that?
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
mokelumnekid
McNasty
McNasty

Quote mokelumnekid Replybullet Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 11:19am
Here are my suggestions- you may get many responses, but as someone who has climbed this hill relatively recently (last couple of years) my comments reflect a path perhaps like yours.

First off I STRONGLY suggest buying this video:

http://tinyurl.com/d5e6s7o

Other people like the EJ videos, but for a basic sweep roll, which is the type most often taught, this is the go-to. There are other roll videos, but start with THIS ONE! And watch it 25 times before you even think of getting in your boat.

Next find some quality instruction. Not just any Joe or Jane Bob Kayak. It ain't cheap but  like anything in life, it may be cheaper in the long run to go with a great teacher. The OAC has a few, Jared (sp?) is especially good. He is very positive, communicates confidence, and fun to work with. IMHO someone who is an ACA certified teacher will get you there quicker, and leave you in better shape.

Be prepared to have it take some time. Have someone video you trying to roll, that is very helpful to diagnose small problems (left arm punching, seeking resistance with the blade, lifting the head, etc.)

Get some nose plugs, goggles can help too. Did I say get some nose plugs?

Next, watch the video another 25 times.

Then practice until you simply can't stand it anymore, then practice some more. Despite peer pressure don't worry about advanced rolls until your basic roll is 1000% bomb-proof. There will be time later for that.

That's my advice anyway. A good, reliable roll is essential to progress in this sport. No short cuts in time or money to get there.

And a little off-topic, get the very best helmet you can afford and make sure it has a dynamite fit and protects your whole head. Spend much time getting that fit *perfect*. The day will soon come when you find yourself upside down taking those hard knocks. It is the Pacific Northwest way.

George B.

osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 8:45pm
There is good advice on this thread that I agree with. But, I wanted to add my two cents. I actually started with a hand roll on both sides of the boat. I guess the basic idea is that the essentials of a roll exist without a paddle. Set up, hip snap, and keeping your head down until you have fully come out of the water. There's more to it that you will learn in a video.
When I finally had the paddle in my hand I was killin it.
My biggest advice for whitewater is finding a few good trustworthy bros, homies, comrades, compadres, friends, whatever you want to call it, to paddle with.
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 9:56pm
by-the-way, where do you live? you'll probably want to develop a whitewater crew with individuals that are near by so that making whitewater plans are not a big hassle. How old are you? How committed are you to this sport? As far as outdoor sports go, whitewater is number one on my list. All others, like rock-climbing or biking, come in after. What kind of goals do you have in this sport? Do you have a good vehicle for sport?
I'm a class IV boater that's stepping up to be a solid class V boater. I don't want to just be able to run some class V rapids. Nope, I want to be a bon-a-fide class V boater. I literally have like a three year plan to achieve this goal and the first year is half way through. I've done a lot of research on rivers in this state, studied them as much as I can, scouted a lot, and have a pretty clear vision of where I'm headed. But! Most importantly is that I have a few really good friends that are class V boaters and are more then happy to boat with me, show me the way, and look out for me as well. Feel free to call me if you like. Name is Oscar - 1.206.913.3697. I plan on practicing some rolls on Lake Washington soon.
thad2000
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote thad2000 Replybullet Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 10:44am
great start. Glad to see new boaters

Edited by thad2000 - 24 Jul 2012 at 10:47am
why not!
mokelumnekid
McNasty
McNasty

Quote mokelumnekid Replybullet Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 1:50pm
May I bitch a bit? Thank you.

Okay here is an ass-chapper: I go to pool session and see noobs like me, spending their precious pool time practicing all kinds of crazy rolls like the back deck double-blunt sweet triple sweep screw roll with no hands, AND THEN fail to hit their boring old regular roll on an everyday bouncy class II rapid. Lord knows I swim early and often, but the departed (to Boulder) Arn Schaeffer schooled me at a pool session: Do one hundred regular rolls and then spend the remaining time of the other ones. And by god he would do one hundred regular rolls and have time to spare.

His point is obvious, and maybe some of you would disagree, fair enough. Sure, having a menu of *reliable* rolls is the mark of an experienced boater and important in some situations. For example we all know that when you paddle in the Southern Hemisphere, you have to roll on the other side....
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 5:31pm
Anybody wanna roll Wednesday evening/afternoon?! I'd be down for wherever on the location. 100 rolls sounds like a LOT, but I'd be willing to try
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 6:06pm
The prospect of doing 100 rolls makes me dizzy.  On that note, I think I used to take Dramamine before pool sessions when I was learning to roll.
“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
mokelumnekid
McNasty
McNasty

Quote mokelumnekid Replybullet Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 8:54pm
Actually 50 per session is about my max. After that I just get water logged, and I have gotten dizzy enough to have to stop. But Arn and his wife Deborah claimed that he did 100. The point of that was that if the roll was not effortless and done right, it would start to become obvious about roll number 30.

Course as we all know once one has a basic roll playboating/surfing with the gang is the next best way to get real practice.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version