Professor Paddle: Grade 2/3 Thursday afternoon!? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Grade 2/3 Thursday afternoon!? Post Reply Post New Topic
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote megspk Replybullet Topic: Grade 2/3 Thursday afternoon!?
    Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 2:43pm
Anyone interested in paddling tomorrow afternoon? Jason and I will be paddling somewhere. Looking for a decent grade 2/3. He's a great paddler, I'm working on my grade 3 runs. We were thinking middle middle, I have read on here that this section of the river is over/not running?! So does that make it unrunable, too rocky to be fun, just dangerous, or still kayak able, but not it's normal grade 3 fun?! Any pointers on a good run would be awesome!

THANKS!!

Let me know if you are interested in joining!!   
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
BrianP
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BrianP Replybullet Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 2:55pm
The mm is still fun at 850 where it is now. You'll have a little bit of scraping but it's still good.
Dale
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Dale Replybullet Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 3:12pm
I think I'll probably try to paddle somewhere.

It would be nice if the Middle Middle would stay above 800cfs. People still do a good bit lower than that, but it becomes pretty boat abusive.

Note that at these levels, the Middle Middle is still class III and some of the lesser rapids get more technical as the level drops but it also loses much of it's push.

My second choice would probably be Headworks or Lower Green Gorge. It's a bit easier than the Middle Middle but the main rapids are still class III. 400cfs is my cutoff.

The Skykomish is last, just because it's inconvenient for me. I would suggest running RailRoad Bridge to Big Eddy first and if you like that, next time, put in below Boulder Drop. I think you'll find the stretch from Boulder Drop to Railroad Bridge to be a bit of a challenge. There's more water.

What time frame do you have in mind?
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 3:58pm
How is the upper middle then?! Mmmmm....not sure on an exact time. Maybe 2 or 3, probably closer to 3, J is a night shifter. Where is headworks and lower green gorge? I am near you, Jason is in Puyallup. I did the Sky last Saturday so I'd be down for something different!!
Dale
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Dale Replybullet Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 5:03pm
I haven't run the Upper Middle at these levels. I'm guessing low water ain't good for that run.

The Headworks of the Green is a class II+ish run upstream of the Upper Green Gorge. The takeout is at Kanaskat-Palmer State Park(make sure you have your Discover Pass or you can park at the fishing access across the river) and is also the put in for the Upper Gorge. Those paddlers who are feeling like hot sh*t can continue another 1/2 mile downstream through the park for a little class III action. It is pretty low. I'm not sure I've run it quite this low. At 500cfs, there is still a couple decent little surfing spots.

The Lower Green Gorge is a class III-II run that begins at the Upper Gorge take out at Paradise Ledge/Franklin Bridge and ends at Flaming Geyser State Park. At these levels, both of these runs will put you to work seeking the deepest water and avoiding rocks. There is decent little surfing down below 400cfs, but it does get scrappy. The Lower Gorge is beautiful and devoid of houses.

Both of these runs take me just under an hour to get to the takeouts(with clear traffic and no speeding). They are a little over a half hour from Puyallup.

Are you still thinking about a lake session this evening?

megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 6:05pm
Mmmmm both runs sound fun! Neither one of us has paddled them before so I could go for either. Which one is longer/shorter!? I was thinking about rolling, but hadn't heard from anyone sooooo, but I'd still be interested, the sun is shining
Dale
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Dale Replybullet Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 6:15pm
Headworks is about 3 or 4 miles long, depending on where you put in and take out.

The Lower Gorge is about 6 miles and would take 2 1/2 to 3 hours to run at these levels, including a bit of surfing and a couple breaks.

I can't make the rolling thing this evening, but I can usually be talked into it. Keep me posted. I certainly need the practice.
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 8:17pm
Mmmmm they both sound fun! Should we set a time/meetup spot? Then we can just meet J in Puyallup or at the river, whichever is easiest and the least amount of driving around. I can put 3 boats on my Subie now, I got some kayak bars
theo
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote theo Replybullet Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 9:42pm
I'd like to join you folks if that's OK.  I'm game for any of the river sections you've been mentioning, and can meet up at any time.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Dale
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Dale Replybullet Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 10:04pm
Shall we say 3pm at Flaming Geyser? You'll need a Discover Pass. As you come into the park, turn right at the first "T", then drive upstream and park near the bathrooms.
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 10:22pm
Heck yeah, the more the merrier! The meet up spot sounds awesome. I will have to google it to make sure I find it! 3 pm should work. I have my Discover Pass too! Flaming gorge is ON!
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 26 Jul 2012 at 12:22am
Geyser I mean!
Dale
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Dale Replybullet Posted: 26 Jul 2012 at 9:26am
Maybe we'll just set the Gorge on fire as well.

See you at 3:00.
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 1:26am
Great day!!
Dale
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Dale Replybullet Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 7:31am
Great day indeed. Thanks for luring us out.

theo
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote theo Replybullet Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 9:26am
Yes.  It was very nice to meet and paddle with you all.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version