Professor Paddle: Green River Alert! vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Green River Alert! Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
ru-tang
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ru-tang Replybullet Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 8:53pm
I would like to clarify some names on the Green River Gorge, because due to the lack of real names for real rapids, I began naming them myself.

Here is the short list of names- with short descriptions

Witches Dildo- move on RR carving through holes and right under/next to a large tall undercut tower

Suction-  I think stupid people call this rapid pipeline, but I have heard about six rapids on the green called that

Goldilocks- JP inspired this one when he called out the mama, papa, and baby boof right in a row

Ride the Tiger- more of a series of moves than a rapid, its along the wall towards the take out- run as left as you can go and hold on!  The wall right about the waterfall in the gorge

Fun Forever- The reason we all boat- and also the name of the waterfall- the proper line is to paddle into the curtain and give a paddle twirl and yell its true name at the top of your lungs

Fairy Glen- the caves right below the waterfall- you can paddle into and through them at the right levels

The Black Gates of Mordor- the big black gate above the Tiger

Seattle boaters suck at naming rapids!

IP IP Logged Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 8:49am
Originally posted by ru-tang

Seattle boaters suck at naming rapids!

Fairy Glen.... Really?

I have always called that "The Faggots Cove" there are always a ton of little sticks and stuff that collect in there.

Oh and Lord of the Rings references were banned a few years back when Sauron filed a moratorium because too many people were making light a place meant to be dark. It is kinda like Communists in the 50s and 60s, you just didn't do it, but now it's all the rage. I am sure a time will come again when you are free to frolick the shire.

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 12:42pm
So, since I frequently paddle into there (under the Franklin Bridge), are you insinuating James, that I am a little stick?

I call it the Yoda cave. And it is best explored at flows above 3200 because the skinny slot right under the falls is open and you can paddle all the way through, faggot or not. If that makes me a faggot or a little stick, I'm cool wit it because that's a fun line in a special place!

FYI while we are playing the name game, old schoolers have informed me that that area is the original Paradise, rather than the play freature downstream. But I'm sure a much larger portion of the kayaking populace associates the playspot with more conotations of "Paradise", so, not trying to suggest a change in that.

See, jon!, we got ourselves a genuine 2 pager going here. Now that's team work. If we are lucky (or unlucky depending how you see things) we'll get to three pages of more digital clutter.

Fortunately the relevant details of your thread are all located near the beginning of it :)
jon!
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote jon! Replybullet Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 6:45pm
I don't even know what we are talking about anymore. Did'nt it have something to to with Germans?
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 7:01pm
I always like paddling with different people in there. JP and Fish have shown me many different roughts in there. Like the cave and several little boof trails. Being a long time Green fan it is fun to learn new stuff in there from different people.
Nomad
mokelumnekid
McNasty
McNasty

Quote mokelumnekid Replybullet Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 5:31pm
I really hope someone (cough, cough) takes out that crappy strainer on Headworks.  We can't run new boater trips with that in play, as some folks flip right at that spot and it is also a good spot to for new boaters to practice ferry/eddy out into current. Sure one can portage...Just saying.
FLUID
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote FLUID Replybullet Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 3:00am
Originally posted by mokelumnekid

I really hope someone (cough, cough) takes out that crappy strainer on Headworks.  We can't run new boater trips with that in play, as some folks flip right at that spot and it is also a good spot to for new boaters to practice ferry/eddy out into current. Sure one can portage...Just saying.
 Isn't there a little flood channel on the river left of this you could sneak down and take folks through that way ? pending it's still clean ?... at most moderate flows that route goes.....  the channel comes in down stream of this wood issue where the real ferry and s-turn practice spot is with better current right under the bridge. 
thad2000
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote thad2000 Replybullet Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 5:03am
True. Shallow..- but should get better. Ps- go to bed so you can boat!
why not!
not-very-clever
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote not-very-clever Replybullet Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 8:48am
is it worth it to call the Howard Hanson dam fellows and get them in touch with Cliff Mass...

"Hello, is this the Dam Operators? Have you see the forecast? There is a lot of damn water coming down next week, and it would be in the best damn interest of the dam to release a ton of water this weekend before the big floods next week!"

or maybe this would work:

" it is actually in the best interest of the salmon to release flows as kayakers see fit, which is turn is in the best interest of the orcas.  you want to save the whales right? so release some water on the weekends."

Edited by not-very-clever - 16 Nov 2012 at 8:48am
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 9:48am
I've always said we need to get a friend at that dam.  Somebody get one of them into boating!!!  Think of the possibilities!  Who are these strange creatures living in the dam anyway?

It has never made sense when they do or don't release water, at least in my opinion.
H2O please
jon!
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote jon! Replybullet Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 10:09am
High flows to bust it loose would be great but don't youhave to worry where it might end down stream?
not-very-clever
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote not-very-clever Replybullet Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 10:14am
American Whitewater has done some amazing amazing things in washington state lately.

maybe we can ride that momentum and get them motivated with a passionate letter.

the HH damn is primarily used as a flood control mechanism.  we should be able to leverage that for kayakers benefits
Dale
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Dale Replybullet Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 7:25pm
Good news Jon! Said strainer has washed downstream a bit. It's not completely out of play, but most boaters should be able to miss it easily.
jon!
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote jon! Replybullet Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 8:37pm
Yea the children are safe but does this end the marathon thread...jP?. Thanks for the info Dale. I always thought those rapids were sketchy enough with those wicked boulders at the the bottom. A good roll is for people who are afraid to swim.
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version