Professor Paddle: Props +/- vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Ideas / Issues / Problems / Fixes / Updates
 Professor Paddle : Site Support : Ideas / Issues / Problems / Fixes / Updates
Message Icon Topic: Props +/- Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Online Status: Offline
  Quote James Replybullet Topic: Props +/-
    Posted: 06 Dec 2012 at 9:20am
I added a new feature the other day into the forum. Basically a while back we added a props tool so you could rate peoples responses and posts. The idea is simple if people don't like what someone says rather than start a massive rant you can just peg a neg on em. Well To make this tool a little more useful you have to track peoples over all contribution so they are either more likely to contribute in ways that people see beneficial...

The future of this tool will have a new page that will show what comments were rated an how, I have been to sites that actually showed people who was giving them Positive or Negative props too, but that tends to start battles. Battles are fun, but they can also be lame. So that is up in the air.

Oh and for 2 people out there, since the beginning of this tool we have tracked who uses it. There are two people that have basically gone around giving Neg props to the same person all over the place. That person is obvious by the sheer number of -negs. I am considering banning your use of this tool if you don't start using it for it's true purpose.

So have fun with it. Like it? Don't Like it? Lets hear...
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 06 Dec 2012 at 9:41am
Jury is out I guess, but I think you are right to be leaning towards not showing who is giving positive or negative props, that could start a whole bunch of petty non-paddling-related hoopla.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a paddle.
BIGWATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BIGWATER Replybullet Posted: 06 Dec 2012 at 6:46pm
i say if ya cant see who is given ya props and why, then its not worth showing at all ..otherwise its just a mystery number

i personaly wont be giveing  props, good or bad ... id rather rant
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Mr.Grinch
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Mr.Grinch Replybullet Posted: 06 Dec 2012 at 11:24pm
Mystery number it may be, but I personally witnessed my negative props number explode literally overnight. Without accountability, or at least a track to where the thumbs down came from, there's no follow through about where such numbers come from. My posting record, as I've gone back through it over the last day, has been haywire. Posts that are in no way in need of a dislike have been retoactively slammed, and with no accountability, why wouldn't some people be childish? I know a few people who might be mad at me, but I'd still have a finger or two to spare counting them on one hand.

I think having the new "feature" is bogus without accountability.

Yes, I'm taking this personally because I feel I've been personally targeted. I think this topic didn't have me in mind when the O.P. brought it up, but I know I didn't have so many thumbs down until recently (last two days).

I disagree that it is a good thing to have negatives and positives anonymous. That's how cliques sabotage and undermine freedom. The very lack of accountability this premotes only instills the will to be devious.

I, well, especially after seeing what I've seen recently, think that accountability (some sort of register for who gave positive and negative props) would actually make people be more responsible. After all, since the people can't hide behind anonymity, they have to stand behind their actions.

I'm so close to bringing up our current state of politics I'm about to puke.

But I won't.

Anyway, I say either get with full disclosure, or do away with the tracking tally of +/-. I'm not saying do away with giving props or a thumbs down. Someone may post about a certain run with beta that is completely wrong, and therefore a negation (many, preferable) has a place. Likewise to reports of good trips/conditions. Who wouldn't like to see support and thanks for good situations?!
nnln.
mattwave
Paddler
Paddler

Quote mattwave Replybullet Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 7:29am
I see no reason for it. On another forum that has had it for 10 years, paraglidingforum.com it has done no good
BIGWATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BIGWATER Replybullet Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 7:48am
 hey i just tryed some props and you can give yourslef props  haha

Grinch just go back and give all your old posts a thumbs up and you will be all even

this whole thing seems like nothing but trouble and a waste of time
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 8:38am
Yeah, I second that, the whole thing is ridiculous.  Prop away.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a paddle.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 12:09pm
So people like it, don't like it, want full disclosure and don't think there should be disclosure.

Got it. No problems.... Unless I am in class 2 (neg peg bdog!)
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 12:21pm
Oh and just an FYI, the two people that were putting in massive amounts of Negs on everyone have lost the privaledge since they did not stop, and their use of the tool has been purged from the central main frames cortex.
STLboater
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote STLboater Replybullet Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 1:21pm
I like the idea, although I don't like seeing the negative props.  Too negative.  Maybe your rating could be your positive posts minus your negative posts?  That way if you are a real asshole, it will still show.
Kayak Academy Whitewater Instructor
Blair
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Blair Replybullet Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 9:08am
I don't understand the props. Is it showing the props you give or the props you've received? Grinch has like 7 total. I tried giving him a prop and his numbers didn't change. I didn't pay attention to my number to see if it changed. Also, why can't you change your prop? I sometimes prop from my phone and will hit the wrong one with the little screen... Also, why does D4 have so many negative props?
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 11:28pm
I have actually never even looked at it. I have no idea how many I have, nor have the time to care .
Nomad
not-very-clever
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote not-very-clever Replybullet Posted: 21 Dec 2012 at 8:36am
dave you ask for it bro with the "emergency green run" threads, no one likes that bull sh*t
franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Quote franzhorner Replybullet Posted: 21 Dec 2012 at 11:13am
I had no idea this was going on....I don't have a problem with it...thanks for all your work James...
MORE RAIN PLEASE
Blair
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Blair Replybullet Posted: 21 Dec 2012 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by not-very-clever

dave you ask for it bro with the "emergency green run" threads, no one likes that bull sh*t

I find it premature for you to say "no one likes that (potty word)" because I liked when he said emergency green run. It was funny. I also think it was funny how you threw a big tantrum over his thread heading, and contine to bring it up...
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 9:31am

All my emergency greenruns have caused me to have injuries that have taken me out for the next week or so. But, it was worth it while the water was up. All you guys up north should get down here off of the Sky once in a while and hit it up.
Nomad
Logan
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Logan Replybullet Posted: 24 Dec 2012 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by Blair

I find it premature for you to say "no one likes that (potty word)" because I liked when he said emergency green run. It was funny. I also think it was funny how you threw a big tantrum over his thread heading, and contine to bring it up...

How about his most recent waste of time thread, DON'T WAKE ME UP. It's pointless rantings like this that add up to all his negs. DAVE, THINK BEFORE YOU POST!
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 26 Dec 2012 at 10:47am
You just received a neg prop....
Nomad
Logan
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Logan Replybullet Posted: 26 Dec 2012 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by dave

You just received a neg prop....

That's cool Dave, if you felt that was needed more power to ya. It's nothing personal against ya I'm sure your a nice guy. Personally I find most of your posts rather annoying but that's just my opinion.
Blair
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Blair Replybullet Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 5:32am
Originally posted by Logan

Originally posted by Blair

How about his most recent waste of time thread, DON'T WAKE ME UP. It's pointless rantings like this that add up to all his negs. DAVE, THINK BEFORE YOU POST!

I'm going to have to defend D4 again here. You see, ProfessorPaddle offers multiple categories for creating threads. D4 chose the correct categorie titled, "Chit Chat" for that particular post, which enables the typically bum kayaker to post whatever "Chit Chat" he/she/bum wishes. On top of that, if D4 could think, I'm sure he would do so, and before posting, however he is part retard and is incapable of doing so. By giving him negative props, you might as wellmake fun of a little downs syndrome girl.
Logan
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Logan Replybullet Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 5:58am
Fair enough... perhaps we can add a thread category titled "CAUTION POTENTIAL WASTE OF TIME READ AT YOUR OWN RISK"
I feel this would allow Dave to spew all the verbal diarrhea he deems necessary and protect the rest of us from getting splattered with the over spray. Just a thought
Blair
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Blair Replybullet Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 6:04am
Originally posted by Logan

Fair enough... perhaps we can add a thread category titled "CAUTION POTENTIAL WASTE OF TIME READ AT YOUR OWN RISK"
I feel this would allow Dave to spew all the verbal diarrhea he deems necessary and protect the rest of us from getting splattered with the over spray. Just a thought

I'll do you one better. A category titled: "D4 - For Extreme Boredom!"

When can we get this going James?
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 7:42am
Don't drag me into this. I gave you all a method to silently agree or disagree and all it has seemed to do is cause people to complain.
not-very-clever
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote not-very-clever Replybullet Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 9:02am
dave, dont be bashful, go for as many negative props as you can. you are basically the modern day hugo!
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 9:29am
NVC - no Hugo was pretty much a truth speaker in creative and often abrasive ways. Dave is more of a nonsenser in silly and goofy ways. I miss Hugo but I love my davie!
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version