Professor Paddle: Flying with a Kayak vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Flying with a Kayak Post Reply Post New Topic
lubes
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote lubes Replybullet Topic: Flying with a Kayak
    Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 11:54pm
I plan on flying down to Phoenix/Flagstaff for a 21 day Canyon trip this spring (stoked!) and would love to bring my boat. Anyone had any recent experience (good, bad, ugly) with particular airlines and their kayak+paddle hauling policies? Anyone ever kayaked the grand canyon? I am trying to weigh the value of having my boat to paddle during this trip vs just being a raft oarsman/ passenger. Thanks guys!
Chris Lubenow
206-788-5630
Lube it or lose it!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
AdamG
Paddler
Paddler

Quote AdamG Replybullet Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 8:31am
I can't speak to current airline policies and who's better but I'm sure others can. There are companies there that can rent boats which would the remove the uncertainty and hassle of traveling with one. I rented from REO (i think) for a fair price.

But, if you're a kayaker, you're going to want a kayak. The rapids are fun as hell and the surfing is soulful. And there's a lot of nooks and crannies that being in a kayak allows you explore that you can't from a rig. You can always hop in the rig on the flatwater, have a beer or six and put in your rowing miles then.

Either way, it's a trip of a lifetime and I am now wondering why I don't have one on the books for this year. Have fun!

P

Edited by AdamG - 17 Jan 2013 at 8:31am
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 9:26am
JayB and I went boating a few years back on the east coast and rather than deal with the airlines and their ambiguous boat policies - we used a freight service.  Ended up being around $125(?) or so each way for the boat and paddle (wrapped together).  The boats were shipped to a facility right by the destination airport - so pretty convenient.  I think the charge was pretty close to what the airlines were charging anyway.  I think a creekboat would be too big for most airlines (or Greyhound - another option we looked at).
“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
brownft
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote brownft Replybullet Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 10:56am
I kayaked it last december! it was awesome. i'd bring a planing hull boat if you can, but something with some hull speed for long days. Like an axiom.   If you just go as a passenger, you'll probably spend a lot of your day looking at perfect roller coaster wave trains, wishing you had your kayak.
phil
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote phil Replybullet Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 2:26pm
Yeah you'll want your boat alright.

Everyone told me to bring a long boat with a planing hull so I did. It was fine, but I sometimes wished I had my regular play boat. Just bring something you're comfortable sitting in for long days, and make sure it's a boat where you can get the ends down (if you're into that sort of thing). Lots of great wavewheeling to be had, plenty of little holes, etc. to play in as well. On the other hand there are also big green waves that are hard to catch in a short boat. Definitely don't bring a creeker.

For flying just call the airline and see what their length limit is. Usually it's 8' in my experience. I've flown my boat around and just duct-taped the paddle to it and slapped fragile stickers on. You'll get charged an oversize fee, but it's at the counter agent's discretion so flutter your eyelashes and act cute and maybe you'll get a freebee.
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 3:02pm

Unless their policy has changed; Alaska is awesome about flying with kayaks.

I was able to get a large creekboat and paddle checked for $100. Seattle to DC. On the way back it went up to $250, for a creekboat, playboat and paddle.

They were awesome about it too. No grief or attitude.
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
TastyWaves
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote TastyWaves Replybullet Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 10:25pm
Southwest is the way to go. The best rates for Kayaks and they fly to all the west coast destinations.

$50 each way for the boat. They let you put the paddle inside the cockpit at no extra charge. Bring a roll of box tape with you.

I've flown with SW multiple times during the last 2 years with boats and nothing but positive feedback and the price is the lowest.

I used one of those freight services a couple years ago to go to DC. DONT DO IT! Pain in the ass getting it to/from, and significantly more expensive than just paying for the luggage with Southwest or Alaska.
Wise men say forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version