Professor Paddle: Ohane warning! vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Ohane warning! Post Reply Post New Topic
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Travisimo Replybullet Topic: Ohane warning!
    Posted: 21 Jan 2013 at 12:06am
There is a new log in the drop after "butcher block"...

Approach with caution, I see a lotta boaters miss the eddy after the first drop and commit to the long fast rapid with that tombstone rock at the end...

There is a riverwide death log right before the tombstone rock...  At medium-high water it will be covered maybe but it's worth having a look!

Elbow room still has that log on the left and at low water it may be in play, we walked it.

There's a cool bloodspot and HUGE canine footprints all over the walk at elbow room too, some poor animal had a way worse day than we did...  (I think they're canine, claws show in the prints but they looked too big to be a coyote, curious!)
H2O please
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 21 Jan 2013 at 2:05pm
So that rapid is currently shut down? How big is the piece of wood in the drop below butchers block? Will it move with high water?
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 21 Jan 2013 at 2:37pm
Travis, that drop is known as Lower Triple.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
brownft
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote brownft Replybullet Posted: 21 Jan 2013 at 4:02pm
oo! a wolf in that area would be kind of big effing deal! nerd time: If the tracks had a triangular shaped pad and the two inside toes were close together, then they are totally canine. But a cougar is much more likely- feline tracks can show claws, especially in squishy riparian substrate. their toes are in more of an arc and their foot pad has three lobes. okay, nerd time over.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 11:35am
Originally posted by water wacko

Travis, that drop is known as Lower Triple.

I find that statement funny, no offense.  So many names with new ones cropping up every year.  No name seems to stick for long because of how much the rapids change.

I wanna name one!  "Travis's Log Funnel of Death"  That's the one in the upper section that will be obvious if anyone runs the upper again.  (I'm still praying nightly for the logs to wash out, if I had a time machine, the first thing I'd do is go back to about 2004 and do the Ohane when there were 0 mandatory portages and twice the river)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back on topic!

The log is about 8" around?  Could (and likely will) be sawed out before we get high water in spring.  Approach with caution though folks, I've seen many paddlers blow that eddy on the right and commit to the chute.  Could definitely be DISASTER now.  The log is not visible until you ferry across all the current leading in.  Many folks don't do that.

Edited by Travisimo - 22 Jan 2013 at 11:36am
H2O please
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 11:34pm
I totally agree slickhorn!!!  The Ohane was and still is my favorite run, but another warning...

That log boof is now a death machine!!!  The last time I ran it, I went left (as we always did).  Thank goodness I did because the right side of that old growth  washed out!  Didn't really get a good look at it but you could definitely go UNDER it on the right...  I don't remember it being a hard move, but we didn't scout and I remember being terrified looking right!

I hope the wood up there goes away, so many quality drops.  That first ledge you talk about was super fast and slid around to the right...  Man I miss that drop!

The last time I paddled the upper though (done it twice with the wood) isn't worth the effort...  Several difficult portages last time.  I'm sure I'll hit it this year though, hopefully the melt will clean it up?  Here's hopin!

Edited by Travisimo - 22 Jan 2013 at 11:35pm
H2O please
FLUID
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote FLUID Replybullet Posted: 23 Jan 2013 at 7:28am
Originally posted by brownft

oo! a wolf in that area would be kind of big effing deal! nerd time: If the tracks had a triangular shaped pad and the two inside toes were close together, then they are totally canine. But a cougar is much more likely- feline tracks can show claws, especially in squishy riparian substrate. their toes are in more of an arc and their foot pad has three lobes. okay, nerd time over.

Yeah I think you saw Cougar tracks.... It's cougar hunting season in packwood right now.... Wolfs are pretty uncommon in that area. I dont think there would be as many town Elk...

Edited by FLUID - 23 Jan 2013 at 7:30am
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 11:09am
Wolverine?  Someone in the comments said they saw one at Crystal Mountain!

The tracks look right too, that'd be cool to see!

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2020260612_wolverinereturnxml.html

http://essdwalker.dreamteamtech.com/media/images/Wolverine_paws.bmp
H2O please
FLUID
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote FLUID Replybullet Posted: 03 Feb 2013 at 12:18am
Travis,
 So.... talking with my brother in-law who lives and grew up in good ol Packwood says yes there is a couple wolfs he's seen in the area. One hunting elk around the park and  he saw one up white pass hunting in the goatrocks. 

my bad man, you prob did see canas lupus print then ??? I really want to see a wolf !!

Edited by FLUID - 03 Feb 2013 at 12:29am
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version