Professor Paddle: Humptulips (Narrows Run) vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Humptulips (Narrows Run) Post Reply Post New Topic
tkelley
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tkelley Replybullet Topic: Humptulips (Narrows Run)
    Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 7:54pm
Looking to get out on a new river this Sunday. I have heard the Narrows Section on the East Fork of the Humptulips is a real gem. Looks like it is low at the moment but I would imagine the heavy rains forecasted would bring it up a bunch. Anyone have information on the wood situation or other worthwhile beta regarding this run? Is this the preferred section or is the "Falls Section" also worth a look?

Thanks,
Tim
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 8:10am
Narrows it the preferred, I haven't been in there in a while but it seems that no matter what's in there it's all manageable because of the low gradient. High 1000's to 2000 are the most fun levels, once you start getting into 3000 cfs the gorge just fills up like a bath tub and the drops lose their definition.

As far as beta: the run is very user friendly there are three things to consider. The put in: a little difficult to find if you're not familiar, there are some pretty good directions on the river page. The Fish Ladder: Small eddy on Left above fish ladder portage left or if the water is high enough you can actually run the fishladder. The Landslide: a class IV boulder jumble, when the water is low you can portage left or run right (might have changed so scout accordingly) at higher water 5000+ it was a little more difficult to portage.

E F humpy is a WA classic, go get it for sure.
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
kevinh
McNasty
McNasty

Quote kevinh Replybullet Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 10:12am
I just ran that for the first time last week. We had 1000 cfs and that's as low as I would want to go. The exact put in was tricky to find. Watch your right hand side once you make the split off of donkey creek road. We drove past it and had to back track so I'm not sure what our exact mileage was. There is a small brown mileage marker at roughly 1 and 3. You will drive over some small logs and brush piles... in a subaru we had no problem, and then under another fallen log. Once you past the 3 go for less than a half mile and you will drive over a big brush pile and the put in will be marked with a small white piece of flagging... maybe 100 yards up. We had to cut down two trees that had fallen across the road so carrying an axe couldn't hurt but I doubt any more have fallen.
The NZA
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote The NZA Replybullet Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 10:54am
Was having some glitch so I couldn't write in this box.

But ...

I have done this in my Alpacka packraft and may want to do it again in my hardshell if the flow is right, though I am not as experinced in my hardshell. I ran it before at 1200 (it is over that now) and it was mostly class 2ish, but at higer levels I can see wood being a much bigger issue. Depending on the experince level of your group, I might wanna hit this up in my hardshell  with you and I know the pit-in/take-out. I could also do it in my packraft, which I am much more competent in, depending on the level and what y'all are comfortable with.

two 0 6 eight five three 54 seven 1

Edited by The NZA - 22 Feb 2013 at 11:20am
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 11:37am
The Narrow's is the classic, but the lower of the three runs - the "Gorge" - is also quite nice.  There's a bit of a flatwater paddle out, but it's not as bad as it sounds on paper.  And the logging road shuttle drive is a blast!  As SH mentions above, the road to the Falls take-out / Gorge put-in is gated.  But as a put-in, it's (almost) all down hill and not too bad.  Especially if you just drag your boat.   
tkelley
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote tkelley Replybullet Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 11:26am
Thanks to all who provided info on this run (and to those who cleared brush and trees from the road)! Spectacular run. Well worth the drive and bushwhack at the put-in. 2,000cfs seemed like a great flow.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version