Professor Paddle: Olympic rafting in july? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Olympic rafting in july? Post Reply Post New Topic
SPerillo
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SPerillo Replybullet Topic: Olympic rafting in july?
    Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 5:23pm
Fairly new to the NW and was curious if anyone has any info on the rafting on the Olympic peninsula? And more importantly,does anything out there run in the first or second week of July? Im staying a couple days at the Kalaloch campground and was wondering if i should bring my raft out,or just plan on hiking. Ive been looking at the Hoh,Queets,Soleduck and Elwha. I'd like to take the girlfriend out on the Queets,if its still running. I realize its mostly flat btw. Just looking to do some boating on the OP. Always wanted to take my boat out there....

Thanks
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
chipmaney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote chipmaney Replybullet Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 1:07pm
Check out the Wynoochee, my friend. Super beautiful with multiple sections that run year-round, including a 19-mile section you can overnight. Bring your steelhead rod.

So far it doesn't look good for snowmelt this year, so Queets might go out early.

Edited by chipmaney - 25 Feb 2013 at 1:07pm
sitting all alone on a mountain by a river that has no end
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
SPerillo
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote SPerillo Replybullet Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 9:44pm
Sweet,I'll look into it. So many rivers here,it's ridiculous...
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 10:58am

It all depends on what you’re looking for…  With their lower elevation drainages, the more popular “whitewater” rivers on the west and south side of the OP are predominantly rain fed, and they’ll be too low come July.  But if you just want a mellow float, you’ll probably have options. 

On the west side the three big rivers that originate deep in the heart of the Olympics – the Hoh, the Queets, and the Quinault – will be dropping out, but should still have enough water the first half of July.  I’m not saying they’ll be at a good level – just that they’ll have some water.  The caveat here is that the easily accessible stretches of these bigger rivers are low gradient, broad valley runs.  If that’s OK (you’re looking for a float), the Hoh and the Queets offer the best raft-accessible runs.  Details for both of these stretches can be found on the AW river database for Washington. 

You mentioned the Sol Duc, which is still within a day’s striking distance from Kalaloch.  Depending on the snowpack in the 7 Lakes Basin, the Sol Duc is hit or miss late June / early July.  It will probably be low, but I’m sure you could scrape down and have an enjoyable time.  It has a couple of easily accessible stretches that would offer more in the way of whitewater than you’ll find on the Queets & Hoh.    

On the southern side, the Wynoochee is the only summertime candidate.  Its dam controlled, with minimum release requirements of something around 220cfs.  220cfs is still OK for kayaks (LOW but OK), but would be butt low in a raft.  If the gauge at Grisdale is 400-500cfs, you’re probably good to go.  Even then, expect a small river!  Worth noting is that the “gorge” run has a likely portage up & over a steep promontory.  The lower run below the gorge (Save Creek Gauge down to one of the lower access points) would make a class II option.  But…  the last time I was there (2011) the spur access road to the Save Creek gorge take-out / lower put-in was gated (thank you Green Diamond Resource Co!).  Again, good detailed info can be found on the AW site.                              

SPerillo
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote SPerillo Replybullet Posted: 13 May 2013 at 4:30pm
Does anyone know what the upper Queets looks like? Like, a ways above queets campground. Pretty flat like the rest? I'm trying to find a route to backpack in on and then Packraft out,with my girlfriend. Appreciate any help
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 14 May 2013 at 11:26am
I've paddled it down from the Tshletshy Creek confluence - low gradient, broad valley class II w/ some wood.  I've heard there's a trail that heads upstream from the Queets River campground, but you might have to ford the river.  I'd recommend searching on NWHikers site for trail info.     
The NZA
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote The NZA Replybullet Posted: 14 May 2013 at 3:55pm
I have hiked from the campground to the end of the trail/flagged route about 15 or 17 miles in and paddled from there in an Alpacka. You do indeed need to ford the river (much better in a boat; even in July it's an sketchy ford and best done with a group), and the trail is really decent for about 10 miles. After that it's flagged for 5 more miles or so, and in July I would imagine that it's pretty cleared out. It's all class I/II back to the campground, lot's of wood and lot of bear. I saw 7 bears in one day on the Queets, and I always see at least one bear when I go up there. It is a great first-time packraft. Or 10th time ... The Queets is pretty much why I bought an Alpacka.

I would expect the water to be a bit low in July, however. That said, an Alpacka can definitely handle low water really well. You might scrape in a few places, but it should be a great trip.

Edited by The NZA - 14 May 2013 at 3:56pm
SPerillo
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote SPerillo Replybullet Posted: 14 May 2013 at 10:01pm
Awesome,great info. That's what I wanted to hear. Just hope there's enough flow for the packrafts around that time. Did you take out at the campground or go further,to the hwy? Also,I know they require a backcountry permit....I assume there's no sort of permission needed to boat within ONP? I almost hate to even mention the boats,given some national parks attitudes toward boating within boundaries.

Thanks,great info
The NZA
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote The NZA Replybullet Posted: 15 May 2013 at 1:14pm
You can get a back country permit at the trailhead. Sometimes they are not there. If that's the case, according to the ranger that was there one day in July, you still have to have one. That's why everyone hate the government. But if you want to be sure, you can  pick up a permit in Port Angeles on your way there, or maybe even get one in the mail.

You can paddle past the campground as well, and it's very pretty. There are a lot of elk down there too. But if you do that, the shuttle back up is a pain as the road that follows the river is washed out and you need to either hike across a huge land slide or drive in through the upper road.

They don't have a problem with the boats as far as I know. I would look at the gauge for past years .... I think above 1500 would be fine for a lot of it, but maybe not for the upper stretches. In July it's likely around 1000 or less, but I bet it's still doable in an Alpacka. I just rand the Escalante in Utah at 2.5 cfs and they boats did great. Maybe not super exciting, but still better than walking back all the way.
okeefe
Paddler
Paddler

Quote okeefe Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2013 at 10:11pm
Queets would be a good trip and should have enough water in July.

Olympic has decent language for boating:

The General Management Plan recognizes boating (rafting or kayaking) as a form of river-based recreation appropriate within the Park (Final GMP EIS, Vol 1, page 221). The Plan identifies three different wilderness zones: wilderness trail zone, primitive wilderness zone, and primeval wilderness zone. These zones span a range of experience with increasing opportunities to appreciate wilderness character, risk and challenge, and solitude. Non-motorized/hand-powered boating is recognized as an appropriate means of experiencing all three of these zones (Final GMP EIS, Vol 1, page 72). In the response to comments section on recreation, the Plan specifically states that for the life of the Plan, “within the frontcountry and wilderness zones, non-motorized/hand-powered boating including kayaking will continue to be an approved activity” (Final GMP EIS, Vol 2, page 68).

Be safe and watch the wood--there are some big jams out there.

Thomas O'Keefe
PNW Stewardship Director
American Whitewater
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version