Professor Paddle: Outboards & Rafts vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Outboards & Rafts Post Reply Post New Topic
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Online Status: Offline
  Quote James Replybullet Topic: Outboards & Rafts
    Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 2:58pm
I am planning a couple of family oriented rafting trips that have lakes involved. I have seen a few different threads that mentioned the combination of Rafts and Outboards so I figured I would start one up to discuss.

I just purchased an outboard mount for my raft and although it is not rated for large engines it will handle up to a 9.9hp motor. Most of my river days with the raft are centered around my two little kids now, and since they have the attention span of a whitewater gnat the lake paddle out can be a nightmare.

Anyone used motors on rafts?

I figured that the electric trolling motors would work, they even make a High output model, but to be quite honest, I don't want to lug around a couple of deep cell batteries and /or solar panels. Check out the Torquedo! http://www.torqeedo.com/us/electric-outboards/cruise-t-tiller-controlled-dinghies-motor-boats-sailboats-up-to-4-tons

While that is cool and all if you want to lug around all the gear it seems unreasonable for a raft... But then I started thinking, what about Gas 2 or 4 stroke motors. They are about the same weight, but you have to lug around a bunch of gas, so now instead of batteries and panels you have gas cans... Lame

Then I found the ultimate solution.
A LP Outboard that has great reviews. A bit lighter than the Gas Out Boards but get this... it burns Propane, so just pack a bit larger tank on your raft and you are set. Seems like a no brainer... Check it out 2.5 or 5 or 9.9 HP models.

http://golehr.com/new/lehr-9-9-flyer/

Anyone have experience with the Lehr Company? What about with a motor on a raft?
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 4:40pm
I see what is truly needed here:

Child hamster wheel driven outboard motor...

All you need for fuel is Mt. Dew!

Edited by JoesKayak - 05 Mar 2013 at 4:41pm
davidspiegel
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote davidspiegel Replybullet Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 5:27pm
Just thought I would weigh in on the solar powered/electric motor option. It doesn't sound like you are actually considering going for it, but, since you brought it up.... :)

This summer, I crossed Lake Powell with some friends on an entirely solar powered electric rig. Let's just say that you won't get pulled over for speeding! We would max out at about 6-7km/hour with our torqueedo. That was only if the sun was fully high in the sky with zero clouds or head winds. Even fully charged batteries would drain down super quick (like 30min) once the sun stopped hitting the panels.

Still a super awesome way to travel: quieter, cleaner, etc. Took us 6 days to go 160 miles. Had to wake up at 5am in order to catch all of the rays that we possible could to make our milage.

propane seems like an interesting solution to me. Gas motors smell terrible + you have to lug all that petrol for the entire trip. How much propane would it burn through for long milage, though?

Just for fun, here is a shot of our 22 foot rig. The rig belongs to Jacks Plastic Welding.

[/IMG]

Edited by davidspiegel - 05 Mar 2013 at 5:27pm
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
BrianP
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BrianP Replybullet Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 8:11pm
James, there was a long discussion about propane motors vs conversion kits on mountainbuzz not that long ago with a lot of good info. You can probably find it pretty easily with a search. For what its worth, modern 4 strokes are pretty quiet, easy on gas, and don't have the 2 stroke smell.

Edited by BrianP - 05 Mar 2013 at 8:11pm
franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Quote franzhorner Replybullet Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 12:16pm
Aaron Williams has a lot of experience with outboards on rafts. He did a couple hundred miles on flat water last summer, I believe....
MORE RAIN PLEASE
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version