Professor Paddle: Drysuits vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Drysuits Post Reply Post New Topic
fastpaddler
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote fastpaddler Replybullet Topic: Drysuits
    Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 11:41am
Getting ready to buy my first dry suit. Looking at bomber gear " hydro bomb" anyone have pros or cons to this particular suit? Or a comparable suit?

Thanks
Fp

Edited by fastpaddler - 20 Mar 2013 at 12:43pm
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 12:26pm
I've heard mixed feedback on BG items - but it it comes down to getting a BG drysuit or not getting a drysuit at all, go with the BG drysuit. Even a less than optimal drysuit is vastly better than a drytop/farmer-john combo, particularly when you are starting out and doing lots of swimming.

By the time it wears out - you'll have done enough paddling to realized whether it's something you're going to stick with or not, and if so, you'll have enough time to save up the cash for a Kokatat drysuit, and plenty of motivation.

Having said that - most drysuits are pretty decent and if you scour the internet for sales then you can generally find something for ~$500. Stohlquist drysuits seem to be pretty decent, and they're often on sale. Also - the non-GoreTex Kokatat suits are quite good and are generally ~250-$300 cheaper.

Finally - if you buy an outdoorplay membership for $25 (gets you 15% off of all orders) you can easily net another $75 off of the price of a new drysuit.
-Jay
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
fastpaddler
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote fastpaddler Replybullet Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 12:42pm
Thanks guys, for the input. I agree any dry suit is better than none. Trying to keep it around 500 or less if possible. Kokatat is probably the way to go, but that's down the road( at least for new). Anyway appreciate input.

Fp
TastyWaves
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote TastyWaves Replybullet Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 12:52pm
Whatever anyone tells you, do NOT buy a Stohlquist!! You're better off paddling in a pair of cotton pijamas..

I just upgraded to Kokatat and am one happy paddler
Wise men say forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
fastpaddler
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote fastpaddler Replybullet Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 1:02pm
Yeah I looked at KA, none my size(used), but I'll keep looking. I'm 6'0" 200lb . Large I think with socks is what I want. If anyone knows of any nice used.
Everyone is awesome help, hope to paddle with you all at some point!
Fp
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 3:22pm
Fastpaddler -

We're so close to Spring, just wait it out! Save up and buy the Kokatat, even used. They are bomber! Check craigslist in all the major boating towns and you'll find one thats a couple years old and in the $500 range. Use it for Spring and then send it back to Kokatat to get all patched up. They wash it to clean out the gortex and patch all the little holes you don't even know are there. Then its good as new.

My 2 cents...
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version