Professor Paddle: Drysuit "Wetting out" vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Drysuit "Wetting out" Post Reply Post New Topic
JayN
Paddler
Paddler

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JayN Replybullet Topic: Drysuit "Wetting out"
    Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 3:44pm
Hi All,

I've got a stohlquist gpod drysuit that is totally wetting out. My feet are pretty much soaked after being submerged for 10 seconds and my upper body is proper wet after about 3 hole punches.

I'm thinking about doing a nikwax treatment to it to try and revitalize it and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with nikwax, or any other DWR treatments.

Any info would be extremely helpful!

Cheers,
J
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
WA-Boater
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote WA-Boater Replybullet Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 3:54pm
Get a Kokatat!!!

April fools! There might be a leak somewhere. If not I bet the fabric has deteriorated. Either from old age (how old is it) or from a defect (maybe warranty). I would send it to Stohlquist if it's not too old. Especially before doing some treatment to it. I've used Nikwax in the past - it really helps the water bead up. But if water is leaking through the fabric - which seams like what you're saying - that's not going to help much.
Hopefully it's a warranty deal and you can get a new one.
Good luck!

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 4:36pm
The DWR seems to give me a few months of extra repellency - certainly worth the shot.  I believe I used Nikwax also. 

But your issues seem beyond DWR.

I believe Rainy Pass Repair in Seattle can pressure test it and figure out where the leak is coming from (maybe Kayak Academy too?)  I have sent my Kokatat suit back to the factory and they'll send it back with little patches on the inside - nice way to extend the life.  Hopefully Stohlquist offers that service - it is relatively cheap for Kokatat.
“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
Fenix747
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Fenix747 Replybullet Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 8:47pm
This drysuit is so cute on him, please help Jay fix it.
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 5:30am
Jay,

Go Kokatat and never look back. Ask Adrian Wigston about his adventures in a Stouhlquist "Dry" suit.

Kokatat's are expensive, but there's a reason for the pricetag. A great option is to keep an eye out on here and Boatertalk for a used one. Plenty of people drop the necessary cash and then decide that kayaking is not for them. All that gear ends up on CL or here. My 2 cents...
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
Dale
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Dale Replybullet Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 7:19am
If you're thinking of sending the suit off and spending money on it, I'd stop, think hard, then spend money on a used Kokatat suit. There's good reason why folks like to repeat this advice.

Nikwax treatments can do wonders, but before you treat it, you'll need to find and repair the holes and seam tape issues. If you treat it with Nikwax first, it will interfere with other repairs.

If you want to try to deal with it yourself, I would do some testing. Plug the neck and wrist gaskets, pump air into it, then go over it inch by inch with slightly soapy water in a spray bottle. There are going to be holes in it. Mark them for repair later. If it's an older Gortex suit, you're lucky. In addition to finding several holes in it, you're also likely to find that the seam tape is failing. There are a variety of ways to deal with these repairs.

Once the holes and seam tape problems are repaired, then you'll want to treat it with Nikwax or some other treatment. I usually end up doing this every 6 months or so with older suits and it makes a huge difference. Instead of wetting out, water will bead up and act like it's new again.

Good luck.
TomMarley
Paddler
Paddler

Quote TomMarley Replybullet Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 10:17am
You could try Ultra Ever Dry, but I think it would wear out too quickly to be worth it.

Add my endorsement of the Nikwax 2-part wash and wax; seems to work well to wash before repairing holes/seams/gaskets and wax after.
Also, it can't be reiterated too much: Kokatat. Something to be said when the seams are initialed.
JayN
Paddler
Paddler

Quote JayN Replybullet Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 6:28pm
Thanks for all the info everyone!

I was sort of anticipating the "Just buy a kokatat" responses. I don't think I have talked to one person about drysuits that hasn't just straight up told me to save and buy a kokatat... despite what they are wearing themselves.

That said, I got the gpod for a steal and It's in the middle of the nikwax process right now, so I will probably just rock it until I can afford a kokatat (it's almost dry top season anyway).

Thanks again for all of the responses and advice and if you guys know of anybody that's trying to hustle a suit that they just aren't that into anymore, shoot me a PM!

Cheers,
Jay
mokelumnekid
McNasty
McNasty

Quote mokelumnekid Replybullet Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 8:49pm
Can't help myself but I was a tad amused by "It's almost drytop season anyway." Well I guess if all you paddle is the 'Chee on sunny days and don't plan on swimming or doing any rescues, or simply standing around in the cold-ass rain all the way through June waiting for the shuttle or helping your buddy find their paddle, or playboating or.... I plan on a whole lot of paddlin' between now and drytop season. Sorry not being a jerk, just couldn't resist pulling chain.

I got my Kokatat drysuit on Craig's list used, but like new, but I had to watch teh C-list and all the other boards for awhile. Now that boating season is getting underway, everyone si looking for a drysuit. Watch Boatertalk, Boof.com, Mountainbuzz, sites for used gear.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version