Professor Paddle: Grand Canyon boat vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Grand Canyon boat Post Reply Post New Topic
lubes
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote lubes Replybullet Topic: Grand Canyon boat
    Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 12:16pm
Play boat (blistic rad) or river runner (burn)? Still can't decide... Need to ship one or the other on Monday. 21 day trip. First time down the canyon. 5 other kayakers are going, apparently all now in playboats. Been in the burn all winter and feeling good. Not much or a playboater. But hey, maybe this would be a good chance to dial in some play boating skills. Shipping and airports at this point doesn't really make a difference. Thanks for the advice!
Chris Lubenow
206-788-5630
Lube it or lose it!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 7:40pm
I would consider how much time you actually plan to play boat vs how much time you want to send in the kayak exploring. If your not a playboater and you aren't going to be Pistol McFlipping Burgers on every wave I'd say comfortable boat that your comfortable in.

Also there are lots of green waves out there that you could rip in the burn.

Also consider how comfortable you'll be running lava in the playboat.

Plus the flatwater, granted you'll probably be shotgunning brewskis in the raft in the flats.

But I'm not a playboater, so there's that.

Have fun.
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
phil
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote phil Replybullet Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 8:54pm
You should just take whichever you're more comfortable in.

Jed's point about flatwater is worth thinking over -- it's like 99% flatwater down there. Even if you're hanging off the side of a raft in all the pools, you'll want to be comfortable.

The other 1% of the time, yeah there are tons of green waves to surf, but there are also breaking waves and holes (if you dare). And there are tons of wavetrains you could wheel over, etc -- it's not an obvious win either way.

Don't forget to surf the hole in crystal! Either boat will work the same for this...
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
brownft
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote brownft Replybullet Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 8:21am
Bring the Burn! do not succumb to playboat peer pressure.   the only playboats I've seen on the grad canyon have been put up on rafts for the whole trip. they could be fun in a few places, but a huge pain in the ass in the swirly washout from the rapids, and paddling against upstream winds for 15 miles...which happens.
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 9:49am
I love playboating and creeking/river running and I have done my fair share of long river trips with raft support (Selway, All salmon trips, Deschutes, Rogue, Illinios, etc. etc.). Once or twice I have taken a playboat and always regretted it because: quality play spots worth sessioning are hard to find and if they exist, they have already been found. How many people go to any popular multi day run purely for the playboating (none that I have heard of). All the greatest playspots are destinations in and of themselves. Sure there are probably a few places on the grand that are good, but what are the chances you are going to find a perfect breaking wave with eddy service? And, if you do, are you going to hang out there for a couple hours and then get on with all the flat water miles you will have to do? No, you are more likely going to find a bunch of killer green waves surfable in a longer boat. I have way more fun in a long boat on river trips because there are so many more waves that are surfable. You essentially increase the amount of surfing you will do tenfold. Of course they will all be front surf soul sessions, but if you are doing things right you will have a buzz which really only allows for this kind of surfing, if you catch my drift. Bring the long boat and then laugh at all the playboaters sitting on rafts because they cant take sitting in their boats anymore. Playboat = wrong tool for the job at hand.

Edited by Ellingferd - 07 Apr 2013 at 9:50am
lubes
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote lubes Replybullet Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 5:12pm
Thanks guys! Burn it is!
Chris Lubenow
206-788-5630
Lube it or lose it!
mokelumnekid
McNasty
McNasty

Quote mokelumnekid Replybullet Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 9:17am
Looks like you have all the info you need, but I know this issue has been discussed a LOT over at the mountainbuzz and boatertalk boards.Just pointing that out if you wanted to sample a larger footprint of opinions.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version